Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Creating and Maintaining a raiding guild as teenager.

So me being a sophomore in high school, my raiding schedule is very late and short in order for me to keep up with IRL stuff and such, SO long story short, I've decided to make and (hopefully) maintain a late night raiding guild, I'm a very firm leader and know my way around raids. I loved raiding last year when my schedule wasn't clumped up and would like to continue doing so. So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.

In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not lead a guild/raid.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I don't see why it would. If you're concerned, just don't make your age publically known. As long as you can lead the group and do your job, it's all good.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    That's my concern, a lot of people seem to have that opinion. It's understandable that most people would think that though.

I dont think you can, or should. This isnt a challenge. You need to focus on school.

There are mature teenagers and there are whiny, childish ones. Go ahead and start your guild, if youre really serious about raiding you'll then recruit and interview good players and they will be interviewing and judging you just the same, if you prove yourself knowledgeable about the game, content and your goals, you will find yourself a good bunch of people, if youre just about leading a guild so you can have dibs on all the drops people will notice soon enough and leave you.

I havent been in a ton of guilds and usually join for the long haul, but one of the best guilds i have been in was co-lead by a teenager and he was a great player and raid leader that took us to the top of the server and that was in the 40 man raid days, it's a lot easier to get and lead 10 people these days if youre an above average player and good/fair leader.

Should be fine, actual age isn't as important. What is important is how you behave and what your guild policies are.

Besides that, I'd like to point out to you that running a guild is very time consuming and if you're not up for the task that you shouldn't do it. (better join a guild than run something half-assed yourself right?)

Raiding is only a small part of leading a guild and you will be busy with recruitement, social issues etc. Make sure you've got proper policies for things like recruitement, raiding, social behavior, guild bank withdrawels, etc and you yourself will have to commit to these in an exemplary way. Because if you're not going to do it, why would other people right.

But as long as you're on a server where you'll actually be able to get recruits, I don't think it will be too much of a problem :-)

Good luck!

the main issue with raiding with anyone still in highschool is that their time does not belong to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

It's best to just not let your raiders know your age if you want to maintain authority over them.

Your server does not have one? I would probably avoid doing that since people try to listen to someone and respect them more if they are more mature sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    It's best to just not let your raiders know your age if you want to maintain authority over them.
    I don't think that is true at all, as i said in a previous post i had a teenage guild leader and i was double his age, i did what he told me to do because i knew and trusted that the role he asked everyone to do was going to lead us to what we all wanted; kills, more loot and progression at a pace above other guilds on the server. If you can prove that you can give that to people it's my opinion that age doesnt matter.

That being said, i agree with the others that said that running a guild is a F ton of work and dedication and that someone who says they have to dedicate a lot of their time to school probably won't be able to or have the time available to run a successful guild.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    the main issue with raiding with anyone still in highschool is that their time does not belong to them.
    This. I don't see your guild ending (or even starting) well. When you are in high school you are not the master of your own time. Between school and parents, you can not do whatever it is that you do. And while you might think running a guild is "fun," it's really not fun. No seriously, it's not fun.

Honestly, play the game casually if you can't raid actively with another guild. Starting a raiding guild is going to end up being bad news.

I would give you the same advice I'd give any potential guild/raid leader: be able to meet the commitments you make; be clear about what your guild is and what its goals are; be transparent with your decisions.

Some guilds maintain an age policy, whether strictly or loosely enforced (my own guild has a very loose 21+ guideline and a fairly loose 18+ "rule" that we've made exceptions for), and it might just save a lot of time/energy/mishaps to be as upfront about your expectations / motivations as possible on any guild website you make. If you don't think it matters what age anyone is as long as their goals match yours, you don't need to mention age at all. Being specific about what you want the guild to do and to do be will likely do a lot of the filtering.

As long as you're professional about things, it won't matter what your age is. But some folks might prefer to be in a guild where they have a general idea of what the general age range is gonna be, and even if you don't mention it, it might be something that comes up. Don't take it personally if people don't want to raid with folks in your age range. The same might happen if you were too old for someone's taste. And just be aware that even if you are super professional, if you have others in your guild around your age range that there is going to be an expectation of behavior and boundaries -- unless you can recruit completely from folks your age, then it doesn't matter. But in these times with server populations just not as full as they used to be and the fickle nature of maintaining a roster, if you want to raid seriously I'd take it at least somewhat seriously. Have fun and all with it, of course, but at a certain level if you just want a place to hang out you don't need a raiding guild.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    This. Join a guild, don't bother leading one. I raided in Vanilla as a teen, (17 for those wondering), and the time is simply not yours. You will not have all the appropriate time to lead a guild successfully as a teenager in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

I'd also take the advice others have given to heart -- I sorta addressed it already but it bears repeating: if you can't guarantee you can make whatever commitments you make, don't do it. But just to clarify from what others are saying, I think it can be even a sparse commitment just as long as you are up front about it -- however, don't expect others to be able to make a tighter commitment than you can make yourself. Say for example you can't be sure on any given schoolnight that you can be on for what you want the raid times to be ... well, actually, if the case is that extreme, you shouldn't do it at all. But say you can't in good conscience guarantee better than a 50% attendance rate for what you want the scheduled nights to be ... now, it'd be possible to maintain a roster with that type of attendance requirement, but it'd be difficult and you'd have to get lucky -- and have a really great group of folks in your guild.

You'll be able to get what you're able to put into it. Be clear and upfront with your motivations and methods. And you'll need a good officer team -- one you can bounce ideas off of, get original ideas from ... who you can reasonably agree or disagree, and still respect the others reasoning. This will be pretty vital.

Let us know how it goes !
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not be allowed to play WoW in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I would personally not join your guild based on your age alone. Bigoted of me, sure, I'll admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not be allowed to play WoW in the first place.
    That would lower the subs a great amount, but would allow Blizzard to add in things more adult like.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Here's how it happend for me. I made some time on my free time to play wow as much as possible looking for my team to set it up.
    Once i had created a proper and steady team that weren't filled with scrubs i almost stopped playing all together. The only time i login now is when we have raid time.
    And it's working good, server 2nd!

Just ignore anyone saying don't do it because of your age or highschool. I raided successfully five days a week while in school 9:30-12:30 eastern. Kept up with school went out on the weekends and had plenty of spare time to do whatever I wanted. Age has almost nothing to do with raiding or WoW. I've seen people over 30 act less mature than people who were 15 in the raids. It changes person to person regardless of age. That being said I'm 22 now and raid less than I did then but knowing where I came from would never allow me to turn someone down because of their age.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2012-12-23 at 08:53 AM.