Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    AGE IS JUST A NUMBER! DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE HERE.
    If you have good leadership and don't sound like a child, you could definitely get away with it. Tell everyone you're 20... you're choice.
    I've known 17 year olds that are much more mature than some 30 year olds and I would prefer the 17 year old to lead
    No. That's not true.
    I used to want to agree with this, but it simply doesn't hold.
    The human brain keeps physically developing until your mid- to late twenties. That means that your capabilities as a person keep developing. Insight, intelligence and even some measure of wisdom aren't effected per say, but things like impulse control, reservation, efficiency and empathy are greatly dependent on the stage of development that your brain is in.
    Your example 17-year old may indeed be as mature as you claim, but you should understand that, if this is the case, it is an anomaly, and indication of great hardship in the teen's history, which makes them liable to different unexpected behaviour, at some point.

OP: Sure; you could be a raid-leader. Age isn't everything. But you should first be aware of the limitations of the brain, your limited capacity for judgement at the moment, and be sure not to overextend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    It's best to just not let your raiders know your age if you want to maintain authority over them.
    It's best to not have "authority" at all imo, other than deciding the raid setup and having a deciding factor in loot distribution if the rest can't take care of it themselves. Makes for a better playing environment

I'm just going to flat out say it, I lead a raiding guild all through high school, and I was one of the exceptions as far as maturity is concerned. Before I started telling people after I had stopped raiding that I was still in high school, my Guild mates though I was at least 30. That being said, it is possible, but it's a matter of priorities. Leading a Guild/Raid group is an experience. Though, it's not one that you should consider having lightly. It's stressful, it is often time consuming, and sometimes it's just not fun. Though, it is valuable. You can learn some pretty neat management and social skills leading a guild/raid, and sometimes those prove pretty valuable.

In my opinion, I wish I had waited to do it later. As much as I had convinced myself that logging in to raid 2-3 times a week, wasn't going to affect my education, I think I would've done better had I not. School is something that is very important, and the problem is that it's hard to realize that while you are still in a position to fix it. If you truly believe that you can, and want to do this, set a goal for yourself. A limit, on your grades. Decide on a GPA and stick to it, if you go below that, maybe you should stop raiding. I know it sounds ridiculous now, but it may be one of the best things you ever do for yourself.

Anyways, good luck mate.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    No. That's not true.
    The human brain keeps physically developing until your mid- to late twenties. That means that your capabilities as a person keep developing. Insight, intelligence and even some measure of wisdom aren't effected per say, but things like impulse control, reservation, efficiency and empathy are greatly dependent on the stage of development that your brain is in.
    Your example 17-year old may indeed be as mature as you claim, but you should understand that, if this is the case, it is an anomaly, and indication of great hardship in the teen's history, which makes them liable to different unexpected behaviour, at some point.

OP: Sure; you could be a raid-leader. Age isn't everything. But you should first be aware of the limitations of the brain, your limited capacity for judgement at the moment, and be sure not to overextend.
    I can agree with this entirely. I just posted about my own experience leading a Guild in high school, and I know and agree that my maturity is an anomaly. And, I also am aware there is a very solid reason for that. Few near death experiences, lots of early surgeries and medical problems, societal pariah status due to missed school and other issues. All of these things at a young age tend to attribute to "growing up" faster.
    Last edited by Rekenna; 2012-12-23 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    So me being a sophomore in high school, my raiding schedule is very late and short in order for me to keep up with IRL stuff and such, SO long story short, I've decided to make and (hopefully) maintain a late night raiding guild, I'm a very firm leader and know my way around raids. I loved raiding last year when my schedule wasn't clumped up and would like to continue doing so. So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.
    The best guild I was ever involved with was actually ran by a high school student. Almost all members were the same age or older. Everyone listened when he talked. It was my personal favorite period of playing WoW. So, yes, it may work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Being the GM of a raiding guild is what people do when they simply don't have enough misery in their lives, therefore they must create it to make sure something can piss them off in what would otherwise be a good day. Speaking from personal experience.
    Which explains a lot of the guild drama too!

One thing to keep in mind also, a member can have a bad hair day and players can brush it off. A guild leader has a bad hair day, folks may want to find another guild.

Being a leader is a lonely job. Most don't want the responsibilities and so critical because they don't shoulder the burdens. They will find fault in everything and label the leader "bad", but time and time again when a leader asks the guild for suggestions to improve the guild, mum's the word then.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Being a leader is a lonely job. Most don't want the responsibilities and so critical because they don't shoulder the burdens. They will find fault in everything and label the leader "bad", but time and time again when a leader asks the guild for suggestions to improve the guild, mum's the word then.
    Aint that the truth. But going back to what Rekenna said, leading a raid OR guild is an experience. Leading both on a limited schedule is just asking for trouble.

You have to ask yourself what it is you want, and then find the solution most likely to succeed. If what you want is the prestige of running your own guild, then a raiding guild isn't for you. If you want a raid team that fits your schedule, then joining a guild and (after a decent amount of time and proving your ability) leading a raid under the support of the guild, is much more feasible.

Don't worry too much about 'limited schedules' or not being in control of your own time because of your age. I've had many guildmates who raided on VERY limited schedules... and most of my older members will vouch that once you have a kid, you are NEVER in control of your own time. "brb baby aggro" is a fairly common call for breaktime in my guild's raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    In my own opinion I think anyone below 18 should not lead a guild/raid.
    Agree with you 100%
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Being the GM of a raiding guild is what people do when they simply don't have enough misery in their lives, therefore they must create it to make sure something can piss them off in what would otherwise be a good day. Speaking from personal experience.
    this is true on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    No. That's not true.

True for some people, but not everyone. Shouldn't treat everyone like that until you know their history.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think someone who's still in high school should not sacrifice RL performance for video gaming... I cannot support this idea.
    You should be in bed late night, and not at the computer. You should more worry about your education than your gaming progress.
    Remember one thing. When you turn off the computer, anything you've done and achieved online has zero meaning anymore. You are not getting better grades, not getting any benefits from running through a virtual theme park that has shiny rewards (which any raid essentially is, a static theme park).
    I believe your priorities are a tad out of line.
    Besides, creating a guild is one thing. Running it properly is actually a whole other ballgame. It's extremely time consuming. Raiding is only a small part of it.

Deleted
    I'm sure some will be concerned but if you're good it won't matter. My main tank in TBC was 13, he got made fun of quite a lot but ultimately he delivered. If you deliver and create a nice guild, the kind of people you want in the guild won't care, it'll be a good way to filter out the foolish.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not very ideal if at all possible, because Teenagers usually have so much going on. School, Sports, curfews, etc. Not only that but it will be tough to find people who will take you seriously enough to follow your directions, if you're a teenager.

10+ Year Old Account
    i know people below 18 that are more mature than people above 50 so yea age/mature i would say try it and if people dont like it they will leave if they like you they will stay

I agree. Far to often, children, teenagers and even young adults make decisions based on the short term, rather then the long term. Every guild I've ever known to be run by a Teenager has collapsed due to some immature bullshit within 3 months.

I don't mean to put you off, you may be totally different, but I can only speak from experience, and my experience says don't bother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    So my questions is: Do you think it would be possible for me to maintain and raid lead my own guild or is my age gonna be a concern to a lot of raiders.

I think it really depends on your personality and maturity level. Even a 60yr old man can act like a dolt 12yr old.

My raiding guild is run and led by an 18yr old guy, he's been our GM and RL for 2 years now, so it all started when he was 16.
    He's the youngest in the guild by at least 10 years, most of us are in our 30's and a few above that.
    We've never had a problem with him leading, he's mature and level headed which is more than I can
    say for some of the "adult" raiders we've had over the years. He knows all our classes inside and out, as well as every
    single fight mechanic, achievment and related information out there. I would not trade him for another RL.

(Hi HAL!)
    Last edited by S Blieft; 2012-12-23 at 06:39 PM.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I agree. Far to often, children, teenagers and even young adults make decisions based on the short term, rather then the long term. Every guild I've ever known to be run by a Teenager has collapsed due to some immature bullshit within 3 months.

I don't mean to put you off, you may be totally different, but I can only speak from experience, and my experience says don't bother.
    I've been there too once..
    Realm switched, got recruited by officers, who have been adults. After the switch I learned the GM was a teenager. One fine day, all of a sudden he comes online in the afternoon, telling the guild that the raids are on hold because his parents limited his computer access to 1 hour per day, until he got his school stuff in order.
    The guild fell apart within a week....

10+ Year Old Account
    This times 1000.
    I've never encountered a guild run by a child, that wasn't full of drama and instability....
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm friends with someone on my realm, who is much younger than me but built, organizes, and maintained a successful raiding guild back in Wotlk and lasted through Cata achieving realm firsts. I'm unsure of his age, but he was in high school at the time, and was smart and mature for his age, so I really don't think age should play a role, maybe stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    I think it really depends on your personality and maturity level. Even a 60yr old man can act like a dolt 12yr old.
    It's about the time commitment and control of their own time.

You can't effectively guild or raid lead if your time isn't your own. "Baby aggro" and "wife aggro" and all the other aggros will eventually tear a guild down for adults, and mom and dad orders will do the same with kids.

People have to realize there's other players in the game who joined a guild for reasons the guild was for. If it's for raiding that's raiding without constant interruptions. No one wants to waste their time when the leaders can't get their own house in order, forget trying to lead another "house".
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

If I can recall correctly, the GM of WHATEVER WERE AWESOME was quite young when he started his guild & there is always the GM of Team Malice.

Age doesn't mean anything honestly. As long as you can handle loot decisions and the ability to solve conflicts, you'll be fine.
    Shuttle of Illidan