Questions about semi-automatic weapons.

Turns out I'm not as smart as I'd like to pretend, and semi-automatic rifle shoots only once per trigger squeeze.
    My assumption was that you can somehow get more than one shot per squeeze out of semi-automatic.

So I have some other questions:
    1 - what is practical difference between semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic pistol?

2 - I heard you can shoot about 4 rounds per second from semi-automatic rifle, is that also true for semi-automatic pistol? Does it take a true professional to shoot that fast? how fast would an average homeowner who has a semi-automatic rifle/pistol be able to shoot them?

3 - are there significant differences between different semi-automatic rifles? I'm sure caliber is a difference, but anything else? For example maybe some can shoot 2 rounds per second, and others 10?

4 - as a non-gun-owner (and never even fired one, or hold one in my hand), it would seem to make sense to use semi-automatic pistol for home protection (assuming you are going to use a gun for home protection). Would semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic pistol be interchangeable for the purpose? When would you prefer one over the other?

Thank you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Turns out I'm not as smart as I'd like to pretend, and semi-automatic rifle shoots only once per trigger squeeze.
    My assumption was that you can somehow get more than one shot per squeeze out of semi-automatic.

1 - what is practical difference between semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic pistol?
    Not a lot, Rifles fire larger rounds usually, have better range and accuracy. There are exceptions however.
    2 - I heard you can shoot about 4 rounds per second from semi-automatic rifle, is that also true for semi-automatic pistol? Does it take a true professional to shoot that fast? how fast would an average homeowner who has a semi-automatic rifle/pistol be able to shoot them?
    As fast as you can pull the trigger, you can fire a semi-auto pistol just as quickly as a semi auto rifle.
    3 - are there significant differences between different semi-automatic rifles? I'm sure caliber is a difference, but anything else? For example maybe some can shoot 2 rounds per second, and others 10?
    Rounds, accuracy, length of the weapon, cosmetics. All semi auto rifles fire at the same speed, which is how fast you can pull the trigger.
    4 - as a non-gun-owner (and never even fired one, or hold one in my hand), it would seem to make sense to use semi-automatic pistol for home protection (assuming you are going to use a gun for home protection). Would semi-automatic rifle and semi-automatic pistol be interchangeable for the purpose? When would you prefer one over the other?
    None, nothing beats a shotgun for self defence.

Thank you
    My answers are in bold.

1. Far more lethality with a rifle in general. Easier to operate.

2. A skilled shooter will be able to shoot 10 times a second and expect to hit a man sized target at 10 yards. This is with a rifle or pistol.

3. Different calibers have different levels of recoil. There are accesories that will affect recoil such as muzzle brakes that will reduce recoil.

4. A rifle is superior home protection over a pistol because of the increased lethality of the round and easier operation. A shotgun is ideal as well. A pistol's single advantage is that is worn rather than carried and can more easily go unnoticed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bellabulldog View Post
    1. Far more lethality with a rifle in general. Easier to operate.

2. A skilled shooter will be able to shoot 10 times a second and expect to hit a man sized target at 10 yards. This is with a rifle or pistol.

3. Different calibers have different levels of recoil. There are accesories that will affect recoil such as muzzle brakes that will reduce recoil.

4. A rifle is superior home protection over a pistol because of the increased lethality of the round and easier operation. A shotgun is ideal as well. A pistol's single advantage is that is worn rather than carried and can more easily go unnoticed.
    10 times a second? Are you serious? Maybe there exists some rare people that can pull a trigger that fast, but most mortals cannot get close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    10 times a second? Are you serious? Maybe there exists some rare people that can pull a trigger that fast, but most mortals cannot get close to that.
    I was thinking the same. I can get off maybe 3 a second with a pistol standing and maybe 5 prone with a rifle. 10 a sec is insane.

Like it was said before cartridge type, although there are carbines which are pistol cartridge in a size closer to a rifle, example is a Beretta Cx4 Storm

It depends how quick you can pull the trigger, but also control plays a factor. Compared to a true automatic there is a big differrence.

Recoil, fit if the rifle, things like that play a part. My AR15 is much lighter recoil and the gun is easier to hold then my FAL for example.

It depends on what fits you best, I like a smaller rifle myself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I was thinking the same. I can get off maybe 3 a second with a pistol standing and maybe 5 prone with a rifle. 10 a sec is insane.
    An M4 can fire 11-13 rounds per second on full repetition, bellabulldog thinks he can match it with a semi-auto rifle, which is just near impossible.

An M4 can fire 11-13 rounds per second on full repetition, bellabulldog thinks he can match it with a semi-auto rifle, which is just near impossible.
    Yep, I was talking semi-auto and giving best case situations. I used an F88 steyr which even for a bullpup has a kick in full auto and was never trained to the point to control it nevertheless count the rps.

I am a competitive shooter, but I am not 1/10th second split shooter. 1/10th is the upper limit. Here is a guy who draws, turns around, fires 6 shots, reloads and fires 6 shots again in 3.02 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqB2I2oVEEY

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 03:51 PM ----------

I don't think it is humanly possible to fire 13 rounds a second with a semi auto. I 'm pretty sure your nervous system will not work that fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly its rifles having better range and accuracy than pistols.

Just about as fast as you can pull the trigger. You don't have to be a professional to shoot that fast. Though an experienced shooter would be able to maintain his rate of fire for longer and maintain greater accuracy.

The differences are mostly minor. Caliber, accuracy, reliability, etc, etc... Some have better action so can technically shoot faster. However the difference doesn't matter a whole lot to the one on the receiving end.

Actually my recommendation would be for a shotgun or revolver. The shotgun for greater stopping power and the revolver for, in general, greater accuracy than a pistol. If you actually need more than one or two shots to defend your home? Well, you are probably dealing with something a lot worse than just a home invasion or burglary. Meaning your best chance is to fortify and wait for the cavalry anyway.

Not to mention that the sound of a pump-action's action is an almost universally recognized, "oh shit" moment.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-22 at 04:21 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I don't think limit accuracy is particularly important within the confines of a house. Generally speaking a suitable pistol or revolver will shoot a 4" sandbagged group at a 25 yards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rifle can be used at range. I am an enthusiast and I use a rifle at the range just for fun. Pistols are home defense in a way, its whatever you want. You cannot tell someone how to defend their home. Some people are comfortable with a shotgun, some want a rifle, some want a handgun.
    When you begin to smash the trigger you sacrifice the accuracy for shooting fast. I would expect somewhere between 1-3 accurate well meant shots from a handgun standing per second. I could not image anything more than that because at the point you are just smashing the trigger to fire quickly.
    Sure they can, it wouldnt be from the manufacturer though it would be an aftermarket personal modification.
    Like I said before and I will say it again, some people like the feel of a certain gun over the other. I actually really like bolt action rifles. I wouldnt use one for home protection because I use a M1911 pistol. I wouldnt personally use a shotgun because I have nice stuff and I feel like I would over spray and take a bunch of shit out. A Rifle could also be useful it really depends on the person. Its just like a car. Some people feel more comfortable in a Big Truck. Some like to drive a hatchback/wagon and some like sedans. Some people are crazy enough to ride motorcycles.

For rate of fire, keep in mind that accuracy will suffer the faster you're shooting.

But, look for Jerry Miculek on youtube. He does the fire 6, reload, fire 6, with a REVOLVER with actual accuracy. I forget his 8 shot revolver shoot.

For home defense, it's always personal preference. Lots of folks like shotguns, but throwing a cone of pellets around doesn't seem like a good idea for me and I've always hated their handling characteristics. For an AR15, recoil isn't a problem, accuracy is good, but both shotguns and rifles are excessive flash and noise.

There are plenty of large handguns that are easy to handle, and not too bad. Or, a rifle in 9mm or 45 is a nice compromise. Low recoil, not as much noise/flash, accurate. I also like the lever action types if someone is not as familiar with firearms going into things.

Thank you
    1) Rifles fire accurately at longer distances. They are more difficult to use at shorter distances depending on the length of the barrel.

2) If you dont care about accuracy you can just hold it up to your shoulder and put your finger through the trigger guard, side of finger on the trigger, and pull back and let go as fast as you can. Rate depends on how fast you can twitch your arm.

3) There are 2 different bolt mechanisms for cycling weapons, blowback and gas operated. Blowback guns have less recoil but they have lower firing rates. If its a semi-auto based on full auto the maximum firing rate will be that of the full auto model. No person could possibly pull the trigger that fast though.

4) It really depends on how much room you have in your house. You cant maneuver a rifle very easily in small spaces and the extra range isnt necessary. This is why assault rifles have shorter barrels. They are a compromise between rifles and submachine guns using a shorter barrel and rifle rounds. The best weapon for self defense if probably a shotgun. Most of the time you can scare away people with the sound of the pump action and it is also easier to hit what you want to hit without lots of practice. Shotguns will also not endanger people outside your house from rounds penetrating the walls so you are more free to fire away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

Thank you
    1. the easiest distinction is range the round will fly after it is fired, however because a pistol is designed for shorter ranges they use less powder in the bullet meaning they travel much slower and go a shorter range. The reason Riffles are so deadly in close quarters, is partially do to the fact the ammo is designed for grater range meaning they have more energy in them at close range this energy when transferred to a human will do a lot of damage to a person.

2. Rate of fire is nice for clearing a room, but fire control is more important. If you shoot fast than 1 round a second your accuracy goes to crap. So yes it takes a trained shooter to fire faster, because you need the skill to control the weapon.

3. Plenty, some semi-automatic riffles have limited capacity and slow reload times, for hunter game animals. Mean while some weapons are designed for killing humans who also have weapons. So they have higher rates of fire, greater ammo capacity, and easy to swap magazines.

4. As a former Marine, I would use a shot gun for home protection, you don't have to aim it; You just need to point it towards the sound. A pistol is good for the range, and personal security when out of the home. And a riffle is great for hunting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out I'm not as smart as I'd like to pretend
    Not knowing about something doesn't make you less smart, just less knowledgeable about a subject. Acting as if you know what you're talking about when you don't makes you stupid. Your desire to know more makes you pretty smart...unless I disagree with you on a matter, in that case you're a dipshit...Internet Proverb 8 - And he said onto the message board, your facts are made up. And the others cried to the heavens in disbelief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bob Munden can!

Rare people indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Bob Munden can!

Rare people indeed.
    Stereotype of a redneck, golden gun, fat, cowboy hat but damn he is quick!!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Bob Munden can!

Rare people indeed.
    Amazing what some people can do. Used to see a man at the range who would shoot the center out of a target from 150ft with a pistol. He did it everytime hardly anything outside the bullseye area and just steady 1-2 shots a second doing it.
    Was in his 60s+ and practiced 4-5 times a week for decades.