Thread: The Last Straw

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If you hate so many thing about the game, please consider doing the following:
    Delete your account.
    Uninstall the game.
    Stop visiting WoW forums.
    Stop visiting WoW-related websites.
    Whenever you're about to talk or type about WoW, stop and just don't say it.

You're never going to find a game that caters to you. Everything in your post is your opinion. Personally, I don't agree with any of your points. But that is my opinion and I sure don't try to pass it for fact. You quitting the game isn't going to hurt Blizzard or WoW's playerbase. In fact, having one less crybaby will improve the playerbase. Just leave, and go quietly.

Let's dissect your post here some.

Molten Front dailies, for a single faction, was too much on any given day. Overall ONE faction in MoP is about that bad, and even Blizzard has admitted they'd do it differently. Even right now, if you are gearing an alt, it is way too easy to get to Revered with the Grand Commendations. Golden Lotus is 1 week, exactly. Klaxxi? FIRST DAY. Seriously, I am sitting at ~11350/21000 after doing Dread Wastes from start to finish today, and all the initial dailies, on my Warlock alt.

Valor Gear? Yeah, gated behind some rep, some more painful to gain than others. But equally so, was merely side-grades to fill RNG gaps from raiding (at the normal level. Heroic raiders cared less about the VP gear, cause they wanted their Heroic loot, and given how quick they moved onto Heroic kills, it wasn't so relevant), AND was only equal to Mogu'shan Vaults for ilevel. HoF and ToES are superior to VP gear, flat-out. So yes, it is very much optional.

The extra gear rolls... you do realize that to collect 90 Lesser Charms a week, you'd have to do 7 dailies 3 days a week, and 6 dailies the other 4, to get 90 (assuming all dailies award 2 Lesser Charms, I know a few only give 1). That takes NO effort. And hey, you even get a bit of Valor out of it too! 225 Valor just for getting 90 Lesser Charms from dailies. That is almost 1/4 your weekly earnings done, just because there was something else you needed. Two birds one stone much? Dunno where you get the idea that food and flasks require dailies or rep grinds... they don't. Food has always been tied to cooking. It's a slow, and arduous process, but it's the same as always, and nobody is making anyone master every way of cooking. You could stop at the Skill 550 recipe for your main stat and call it a day. Flasks, that is exactly the same as always, nothing has changed there.

Ability bloat... I'll disagree there. I managed to trim myself down to JUST two bars to cover all my necessary commands for both Retribution and Protection as a Paladin. Before, it was 3-3.5 bars worth. That is trimming it down. Similarly for my Warlock (as Destro/Demo). Can't speak for all classes though.

Things you assume to be basic and/or simple, like character models, green fire for warlock spells, etc. is not. Think, just briefly, how many things go into changing Immolate from red to green (and keep in mind, it has to be able to function as BOTH). Separate spell IDs, so now anything associated with Immolate has to check for either spell ID, instead of just the original spell ID. This has to be tested to ensure it functions properly. And now do that for everything relevant to that one spell, and repeat it over for every spell being changed. It's not so easy, especially if the functionally glitches out during the testing phase, making them have to figure out what went wrong, why, and how to fix it. Coming from a pretty novice programmer myself, it is never fun to track down a bug in code, and given the sheer size of WoW, there is minor changes that, while directly having no impact whatsoever on anything, will somehow trickle down into something totally unrelated and break THAT (ex: Cataclysm breaking TBC quests in Outlands... how did that happen, when TBC content was 100% untouched?). Character models are another ball-game entirely, in that there is so much artwork and modelling that has to be done, it isn't even laughably funny. And hey, they could have been working full-steam on them "since Wrath", like you said, but then let's face it: The goblins and worgen wouldn't look as good, most of the artistic content for the launch of Cata would have had to suffer for it... You aren't looking at the big picture: Now player models will be nice, but are not necessary for the game to keep being what it is.

As to homogenization, you got two choices: There is going to be similarities to make sure every class of a role can do the job nearly equally (usually within a 5% margin of error), or you wind up having too big a disparity, like in early-mid WotLK with the tanks, that some fights were tailored more for certain tanks, by LARGE margins, which causes social drama and unneeded stress within guilds. Unless they just scrap all classes and do the following: Tank, Healer, Ranged, Melee. Those are your "classes", let you customize what your spells/attacks look like, but at the end of the day, it's all just graphics, and it's all functionally identical. Then there is no homogenization, cause you only got 4 roles and no different takes on them. I'd prefer there is enough similarities that anyone of equal skill and gearing can do the job with any class filling that role, than making it so the disparity of those within the role are so great that there is flat-out options you NEVER want to bring. We had that before, it was called "Classic".

Several types of currency... Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, yeah, small slip-up on their hands making it an item instead of a currency, it's fixed. The rest? Okay, so we got Ironpaw tokens... Elder Charms of Good Fortune... both in the currency window. And um... the new commendations for 5.1? That is about it, I do believe. And the new commendations stack to a ridiculous number.

Blizzard always takes feedback under advisement. It is never been a "if you tell us it is not right, we'll make it right". It has been, and will be a "Let us know if you see something not behaving correctly, we will look into it from our side, where we got alot more data to work with than you have available from outside". They are not designing the game based on the community's whims. Cause nothing would get done. Yes, it may take awhile sometimes to get things done, but frankly, they also don't want to have to patch the game weekly, when you consider things like user downtime, user bandwidth, the add-on community, among other things.

All in all, I can't agree with a single point you made. I've been playing for over 8 years now, I've been through progression raiding in Classic, super casual in TBC (as in no raiding at all), pretty casual raiding in WotLK and early Cata, and just a casual LFR ever since 4.3. Aside from PvP, I've been through it all, as far as elements of the game are concerned. And really, I wouldn't change much of anything or demand anything more. Right now, I got more to do than I'd like to admit in WoW, and this is after already having finished every daily faction in MoP already on my main.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    If your point is that Blizzard doesn't listen, everyone already knows this...There were many things that were reported on beta that went to live and took some time to fix, and the fact is that most of the time they don't listen or learn from anything, there are many examples of this past, present, and future I'm sure.

Also, you say it's the last straw, but I don't see anything in your post about quitting...Is this the "last straw" that made you quit? Or made you make a post about how bad Blizzard is?
    Yeah, I'm quitting. I'm just sick of things that aren't new Raids, or new ways of doing dailies or quests being ignored. In the rush to bring new things in, it seems they forget what they already made sometimes. Think of Alterac Valley for example, it had great vision, and ideas behind it, but now it's a shadow of it's former self. AB and WSG have been remade over again as more Rated BG friendly versions, while the originals have stagnated. They constantly pushed vehicle combat on the playerbase over and over again, thinking "They'll love this!" and not realizing the players want to play themselves, not vehicles. Do people even care about those two vehicle based BGs? Not many I'd wager.

If you think I'm mad because they didn't listen to me the "super amazing genius player" you didn't even read my original post. I never made any of the suggestions, they were made by players with probably more skill and playtime than me. I'm simply sick of watching good idea's flitter away to the 5 year backlog because it doesn't fit Blizzards "current vision"

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Believe it or not blizz does know best about most things. You don't make the biggest MMO ever made and not know what you are doing.
    You kind-of have to believe Blizzard doesn't know what they're doing half the time, because the only alternative is too disheartening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    What mid range raider would pass up required flasks, food, extra gear or extra gear rolls?
    The sort of mid-range raider that truly understands that he/she is a mid-range raider for a reason and extra food, flasks, and gear rolls won't make him/her into a top-line raider. It's fine to be aspirational with your toon but doing things that you loathe in an activity that you are supposed to be playing for entertainment doesn't strike me as a good use of time. If one is seriously that dedicated to doing the things that top-end raiders do, they understand that they need to get about the job of doing them and not spend a lot of time or energy complaining about them.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yeah, I'm quitting. I'm just sick of things that aren't new Raids, or new ways of doing dailies or quests being ignored. In the rush to bring new things in, it seems they forget what they already made sometimes. Think of Alterac Valley for example, it had great vision, and ideas behind it, but now it's a shadow of it's former self. AB and WSG have been remade over again as more Rated BG friendly versions, while the originals have stagnated. They constantly pushed vehicle combat on the playerbase over and over again, thinking "They'll love this!" and not realizing the players want to play themselves, not vehicles. Do people even care about those two vehicle based BGs? Not many I'd wager.

If you think I'm mad because they didn't listen to me the "super amazing genius player" you didn't even read my original post. I never made any of the suggestions, they were made by players with probably more skill and playtime than me. I'm simply sick of watching good idea's flitter away to the 5 year backlog because it doesn't fit Blizzards "current vision"
    Good to hear your're quitting at least, I would hope if someone disliked something so much then they would, kudos to you.

I don't think you're "mad", just another player frustrated with the current status of the game, at least you had enough common sense to say enough is enough and quit, most people can't even say that.

Hopefully you find enjoyment in your next venture, whatever that may be.

10+ Year Old Account

Well bye! We don't need you here trying to justify TO YOURSELF why you are leaving wow.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm quitting. I'm just sick of things that aren't new Raids, or new ways of doing dailies or quests being ignored. In the rush to bring new things in, it seems they forget what they already made sometimes. Think of Alterac Valley for example, it had great vision, and ideas behind it, but now it's a shadow of it's former self.
    Blizzard didn't change a thing in the way Alterac Valley necessarily functions. Players started playing it differently.

AB and WSG have been remade over again as more Rated BG friendly versions, while the originals have stagnated. They constantly pushed vehicle combat on the playerbase over and over again, thinking "They'll love this!" and not realizing the players want to play themselves, not vehicles. Do people even care about those two vehicle based BGs? Not many I'd wager.
    Wintergrasp was amazing BECAUSE of the vehicles. And I like isle of conquest.

Blizzard can't do everything players ask. I think adding Devilsaur mounts is a good idea. Am I going to quit the game over lack of devilsaur mounts? No. I'd think Dread Wastes would look better as a desert than a sparse woodland. Am I going to quit if blizzard doesn't make their entire world design department redo the entirety of Dread wastes? No.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

So... What is the point of this thread?

Are you giving Blizzard an ultimatum? or is this you farewell letter ? or just venting off and trying to find an audience ?

I just don't get it

so you post yet another I'm not happy with X,Y,Z in this game I'm quitting and your surprised blizz locked it? get over yourself. the things you brought up are trivial at least in my mind. if all you can do is focus on what little things you don't like as compared to things you enjoy in the game then by all means take the pity party elsewhere.

So long and thanks for all the fish,

*sigh* I'm not talking about a few random posters, I'm talking about top PVP'ers, top Raider's, and people who post well thought out and extensive feedback.

And I'm not talking about daily quality. I'm talking about how many dailies there were neccesary as a Raider, to complete. While Blizzard said they were completely optional.

But, you know what? Nevermind.... if the playerbase isn't understanding what I'm complaining about, perhaps it's a sign that I'm not meant to be playing anymore. And that I am no longer the demographic they are seeking.
    I feel you and I have stopped playing 2-3 months ago for mostly the same reasons you were mentioning in the original post.
    Plus a few misscom between guildies but that's included in the playerbase category.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a very quick moderation note: There are a number of valid things to talk about in the original post. One can agree or disagree with them and a lot of good discussion is there to have if you wish. I would encourage that. If this is simply an "I quit" thread and most of the posting revolves around that then this will be closed since we don't allow "I Quit" threads here.

Your choice.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    I don't think you're "mad", just another player frustrated with the current status of the game, at least you had enough common sense to say enough is enough and quit, most people can't even say that.
    no its: weighing what we aren't enjoying to what we do enjoy about the game. and the fact most people lean to the enjoy it enough to keep playing comes off as a lack of common sense to you in a less then subtle way pisses me off. there are things i don't like or are unhappy about in the game but they are FAR outweighed by the things i continue to enjoy. but thats just opinion.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2012-12-23 at 09:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so op can i has ur stuff since u r leaving cause i totally disagree with most of what u said and i ain't goin no where for a while?
    Last edited by jd812; 2012-12-23 at 09:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    No game or development is going to be perfect, this game ha a lot of issues, but in the end, it is still the best mmo there is.
    just because it is the best of a bad bunch does not give it license to completely screw over the playerbase which pay the wages of the staff, finance other projects, and ultimately, create the content we all have played/will play.

it is this mentality "oh we are soo much better than our competitors that we can idle by and do as we please", i am praying for the day a game is released, and is able to challenge blizzard, because a lack of competition has made the company grow into a very apathetic group of individuals, it would seem the rapid decline in player subscriptions from cataclysm wasn't enough of a kick in crotch to get the company as a whole motivated to making the game better for all who play it, old and new alike.

i agree with the OP in as much as, many players over the years have said similar things "doing this will be a bad idea, fix it before it becomes a probelm" and blizz have just ignored this feedback and have gone ahead anyway, and to the posters who say "blizz make the game they know better than anyone" actually they don't, the original team that made this game soo many years ago now, are either no longer at the company, or are working on other projects, the playerbase ultimately know what is a good idea and what is a bad idea (i'm talking general consensus and not the usual forum numpty "buff my class i r weak!"), all the developers do is facilitate the change, i am willing to bet a large chunk of cash, that many of the developers are there "for the job" and not necessarily because the love and adore the game as is spouted by the guys and gals of the blue corner, and not all will give a damn as to how something works, just that it does, they do their job, and that is that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Let's dissect your post here some.

Molten Front dailies, for a single faction, was too much on any given day. Overall ONE faction in MoP is about that bad, and even Blizzard has admitted they'd do it differently.
    Blizzard had already said they'd do it differently after the Molten Front dailies. It was the same message over again.

Valor Gear? Yeah, gated behind some rep, some more painful to gain than others. But equally so, was merely side-grades to fill RNG gaps from raiding (at the normal level. Heroic raiders cared less about the VP gear, cause they wanted their Heroic loot, and given how quick they moved onto Heroic kills, it wasn't so relevant), AND was only equal to Mogu'shan Vaults for ilevel. HoF and ToES are superior to VP gear, flat-out. So yes, it is very much optional.
    [/QUOTE]

You can say it's completely optional, IF you are doing Heroics AND if your RNG has been particularly good. Not everyone is a Heroic Raider.

The extra gear rolls... you do realize that to collect 90 Lesser Charms a week, you'd have to do 7 dailies 3 days a week, and 6 dailies the other 4, to get 90 (assuming all dailies award 2 Lesser Charms, I know a few only give 1). That takes NO effort. And hey, you even get a bit of Valor out of it too! 225 Valor just for getting 90 Lesser Charms from dailies. That is almost 1/4 your weekly earnings done, just because there was something else you needed. Two birds one stone much? Dunno where you get the idea that food and flasks require dailies or rep grinds... they don't. Food has always been tied to cooking. It's a slow, and arduous process, but it's the same as always, and nobody is making anyone master every way of cooking. You could stop at the Skill 550 recipe for your main stat and call it a day. Flasks, that is exactly the same as always, nothing has changed there.
    Actually it depends on the faction, Tillers only give one lesser token per quest, therefore you have to make up the loss somewhere else. But doesn't change the fact the dailies no constitute something required for most raiders. Three extra chances to the RNG gods? Who would say no? And it's arguble about the food, someone has to farm all those ingredients and keep the feasts coming in.

Ability bloat... I'll disagree there. I managed to trim myself down to JUST two bars to cover all my necessary commands for both Retribution and Protection as a Paladin. Before, it was 3-3.5 bars worth. That is trimming it down. Similarly for my Warlock (as Destro/Demo). Can't speak for all classes though.
    Fair enough, but did you "trim" it down because you found half of your abilities useless for PVE or raiding? Or because Blizzard actively reduced the number of abilities? In PVP you might find things quite different.

Things you assume to be basic and/or simple, like character models, green fire for warlock spells, etc. is not.
    I never said they were basic and simple, I just believe Blizzard chose to not do it until Dwarves had the same amount of polygons as a MoP Marmot.

As to homogenization, you got two choices: There is going to be similarities to make sure every class of a role can do the job nearly equally (usually within a 5% margin of error), or you wind up having too big a disparity.
    I was never talking about abilities that are required to perform a role, or in order to not ostracize some classes from raiding. I'm talking about things like execute abilities. Things added in order to make the Raiding and Dungeon rotations "more interesting" end up impacting the PVP side of the game immensely. People who PVP use almost every single ability, and often have the same ability multiple times in order to take advantage of macros. Adding abilities to "spice up" rotations usually results in a PVPer adding two more buttons to the bar with focus and non-focus macros attached.

Several types of currency... Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, yeah, small slip-up on their hands making it an item instead of a currency, it's fixed. The rest? Okay, so we got Ironpaw tokens... Elder Charms of Good Fortune... both in the currency window. And um... the new commendations for 5.1? That is about it, I do believe. And the new commendations stack to a ridiculous number.
    If you've been playing a single character for a long time each slot counts, you have voidstorage filled with quest items you can never get again. (I tried asking a GM) Bank filled with vanity items and tabards, armor sets for transmog, holiday items etc...
    Blizzard always takes feedback under advisement.
    I feel they take the "under advisement" moniker very liberally.

All in all, I can't agree with a single point you made.
    That's fine, if everyone agreed with me, then I probably wouldn't be complaining now would I?

*sigh* I'm not talking about a few random posters, I'm talking about top PVP'ers, top Raider's, and people who post well thought out and extensive feedback.

And I'm not talking about daily quality. I'm talking about how many dailies there were neccesary as a Raider, to complete. While Blizzard said they were completely optional.

But, you know what? Nevermind.... if the playerbase isn't understanding what I'm complaining about, perhaps it's a sign that I'm not meant to be playing anymore. And that I am no longer the demographic they are seeking.
    I completely agree. You shouldn't have to put up with people like us. Goodbye.

Seriously, the majority of players are not "top PvPers" and "top raiders." Chances are, if you're so upset with so many aspects of the game, you're better off leaving it be and moving on. There's other video games in the sea.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-12-23 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Also, I would like to point out that logged time is not a good indication of anything. Just because I am online and "playing", that doesn't mean I am doing anything of value. I could be randomly running around in circles... Technically, I would be playing the game. It's an awful metric for measuring anything other than total time played.
    I realize that logged time is not a good indicator of good ideas. But there are people out there, who were in the Beta forums, many who had played a long time, that had wildly differing opinions and had very persuasive arguments as well. I don't think that Blizzard outright ignores it. But I do think that Blizzard places doesn't throughly read through though these discussions enough. Or they have a fundamental disagreement over which way the game should be headed. In either case, I think these are bad ways for Blizzard to approach things. Maybe they've been looking at their server stats too much or overthinking things, I don't know.

Sometimes the change people need, aren't the change people know they want.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I completely agree. You shouldn't have to put up with people like us. Goodbye.

Seriously, the majority of players are not "top PvPers" and "top raiders." Chances are, if you're so upset with so many aspects of the game, you're better off leaving it be and moving on. There's other video games in the sea.
    Not many AAA games I'd wager. Have you played the latest Mass Effect?

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    By all means though, if you want to just have Bael Fire show up one day on a trainer, no explanation, no reasoning behind it... If you want to deal with that explosion from the community because it just showed up... If you want to simply walk in and get it handed to you...

All I can say is that I would sincerely hate for you to be a game designer.
    When did I even suggest or imply in ANY WAY, that Green Fire should be entirely a trained ability you just buy?

I never said that. Now you are simply making up theories in your head about what I want.

Not many AAA games I'd wager. Have you played the latest Mass Effect?
    i didn't realize mass effect 3 was the only AAA game to have come out recently. you really come off as the guy who nit picks every little thing to the point where simply enjoying a game is a hassle. which is a very sad mind set.