Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots armed intruder while babysitting siblings

On Friday, a 14-year-old Phoenix boy shot and nearly killed an armed intruder, My Fox Phoenix reported Friday.

The unidentified boy was babysitting his three younger siblings, ages 8, 10 and 12, when a woman rang the doorbell.

The young man did not open the door because he did not recognize the woman.

According to reports, the knocking turned into banging, and the boy rushed his siblings upstairs and grabbed his father’s handgun.

While at the top of the stairs, he saw an armed man break into the house through the front door.

Without hesitating, he fired at the intruder, wounding him. According to authorities, the intruder never fired a shot.

The unidentified 37-year-old man was taken to a hospital for treatment and is expected to survive, the Associated Press reported. The man’s name is being withheld until he is booked into jail on counts of aggravated assault and burglary. Police say they still do not know the man’s intentions.

Police are still looking for the woman, who got away.

“The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family … but this young man did exactly what he should have done,” said Officer James Holmes.

“I’m not sure he gave full thought about what he had to do. He just acted.”

Members of the unidentified family were too traumatized to speak with reporters about the incident.

“The dad was pretty much out of his mind with distress, officers couldn’t even talk to him,” Officer Holmes said. “It’s going to take them a while to recover mentally.”

According to Officer Holmes, the couple took “a heck of a gamble” going after a house that sits mid-block at 4:30 in the afternoon, but said the family is lucky the young man acted so swiftly and effectively.

“As ugly as this is, and as much as this family is going through, we don’t have injured children on our hands,” he added.

According to Fox, authorities say anyone with information should contact Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.

There are still a “lot more questions than answers” at this time, Fox reported.
    The Source

This is certainly going to spice up all the gun control discussion around here.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just an outlier and of no relevance to the gun debate, clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

again one of the stories that show everyone guns aren't for the mentally insane alone.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

I'm curious why a loaded gun was laying accessible around kids ages 8, 10, 12 and 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This is just an outlier and of no relevance to the gun debate, clearly.
    Please, this type of things happens just as often as shootings like the one in Connecticut do. The difference is that putting this on the news will not make the news companies money, so they make a small passing mention and move on to the shooting that will make them millions.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

Deleted
    Seems like a pro-guns propaganda to be honest. Kinda like a staged event.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    I'm curious why a loaded gun was laying accessible around kids ages 8, 10, 12 and 14.
    Evidently for reasons such have just been shown.

That is a fair question, but at the same time. These kids may be dead without the gun. We won't ever know what would have happened and I would rather not find out because stupid politicians think guns are evil.
    The days of the carrot on a stick mindset are over. 'You want it? It's right there. Just go get it' Has changed to 'Here, Don't eat it all at once, Aw hell, What do I care?'

"here are some guns, kids. If you hear knocking shoot 'em! Now we're off to the movies"

Wait, does it mean someone can defend their home without using an assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    This is certainly going to spice up all the gun control discussion around here.
    when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    again one of the stories that show everyone guns aren't for the mentally insane alone.
    No, but they're easily accessible. Not wishing to spark an argument about gun rights, just putting that out there.

OT: The kid was right to do so, glad no-one was fatally injured at least.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by berkwaz View Post
    when seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    ^^^ This is so incredibly true!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    Please, this type of things happens just as often as shootings like the one in Connecticut do. The difference is that putting this on the news will not make the news companies money, so they make a small passing mention and move on to the shooting that will make them millions.
    I was being sarcastic. The parents were being irresponsible, but it does demonstrate how guns can even the playing field between aggressor and victim when used correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what I was about to ask.

Doesn't sounds like responsible gun ownership to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanamman View Post
    That is a fair question, but at the same time. These kids may be dead without the gun. We won't ever know what would have happened and I would rather not find out because stupid politicians think guns are evil.
    Mhm or one of the kids could have fired it by mistake and accidentally killed a sibling... And really, who leaves a 14 year old kid to babysit... Isn't there laws against that?

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks like they taught their child how to be responsible with a firearm (14 isn't young around a firearm... I was hunting at 11). I am also sure it wasn't just sitting around on a nightstand.

Deleted
    Politicians want to bann assault weapons with large clips to prevent school shootings -> someone used a handgun with small clip to shoot an intruder in his own home -> oh hey we shouldn't ban assault weapons after all.

Deleted
    Yes, everyone should have guns in case this happens; even teenagers rofl..............................
    (14 isn't young around a firearm... I was hunting at 11).
    Yes it is too young, the majority of 14 year olds definitely should not be anywhere near guns; the law needs to be made taking everyone into account. Just because child X is mature for his age and has good parents doesn't mean Child Y will.

Also

Officer James Holmes.
    Illuminati.
    Last edited by mmoc44ab44658a; 2012-12-22 at 02:05 AM.

OF COURSE.

ARM MORE, ARM MORE!

SOLVE EVERYTHING!

Roflmao.