Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Maybe if they separated the console players onto their own servers it would be better.
    Maybe.

But what happens if the console gamers, due to their controllers not skills, aren't able to do high end raids as effectively as people with a keyboard and gaming mouse? Do they nerf the bosses on the console server? Do they redesign mechanics? Probably not. They will probably just design their raids, even their high end ones, to fit the console players first. This is not only because they would want some semblance of fairness (even if that meant lowering the skill cap) but also because if this becomes popular with console gamers, they would have more say than PC gamers just due to numbers.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how the control is done. I perform fairly well in FFXIV as a healer finishing turn 4 Bahamut's Coil with controller. Wouldn't say it's the hardest thing but apparently people struggle on it.

The main issue would be communication. You can use a bth keyboard but that sort of destroys the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The main issue would be communication. You can use a bth keyboard but that sort of destroys the point.
    And when I played FFXIV, the console players I played with didn't. It was infuriating trying to teach one of them what the role of a tank was, and him not being able to respond to anything without taking 30 seconds to enter in the message >.<

The move toward more action based, in a sense Arcade, combat dynamics in 3rd wave MMOs lends itself well to a console controller setup. Somewhat unwieldy control schema are used to interface with 1st and 2nd era MMOs- which EQN is not.

Concern over control implementation in relation to gameplay mechanics can be viewed as passe. Especially considering not only the volume and acceptance of action based control schema in the MMO genre over the last 2-3 years, but also SOE's control implementations on previous console MMOs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And when I played FFXIV, the console players I played with didn't. It was infuriating trying to teach one of them what the role of a tank was, and him not being able to respond to anything without taking 30 seconds to enter in the message >.<
    The one time I ran a Brayflox in FF14, I was trying to determine if the tank was playing on a console because he ate every single aoe and couldn't tank more than one mob at a time. It also looked like he was keyboard turning, but significantly slower.

Also, completely off the topic...I like your Sooyoung avatar :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If they make separate servers for console and PC I don't see what the big deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Maybe.

But what happens if the console gamers, due to their controllers not skills, aren't able to do high end raids as effectively as people with a keyboard and gaming mouse? Do they nerf the bosses on the console server? Do they redesign mechanics? Probably not. They will probably just design their raids, even their high end ones, to fit the console players first. This is not only because they would want some semblance of fairness (even if that meant lowering the skill cap) but also because if this becomes popular with console gamers, they would have more say than PC gamers just due to numbers.
    This is an issue with FF14 as they have said on a few different items that making a change was more difficult/needed further consideration due to the console players. Frankly I'm not a fan of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The move toward more action based, in a sense Arcade, combat dynamics in 3rd wave MMOs lends itself well to a console controller setup. Somewhat unwieldy control schema are used to interface with 1st and 2nd era MMOs- which EQN is not.

Concern over control implementation in relation to gameplay mechanics can be viewed as passe. Especially considering not only the volume and acceptance of action based control schema in the MMO genre over the last 2-3 years, but also SOE's control implementations on previous console MMOs.
    i agree that EQNext looks like it will lend itself to the game controller better than other traditional MMOs. However, this doesn't resolve the hinderance of communication in a social game.

Maybe advances in voice to text technology can help with this and be implemented, but after experience with it in FF14 it really sucks playing with the usually mute console players

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this will probably be me getting a PS4 in a years time, I have played mmos (moderately successfully) with controllers for years, big news for me and might just tip me more towards a ps4.

We don't even know if VO is critical to EQN. There isn't much basis on what we know of the game design to believe such either.

Being another one of those original Everquest junkies. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much and keep a open mind about what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadszu View Post
    Being another one of those original Everquest junkies. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much and keep a open mind about what to expect.
    Being the opposite (Not a huge Everquest person)

I'm kind of intrigued at the concept of an MMO with 'Minecraft' elements (that doesn't look like minecraft.)

I assumed all along that a console version might come, but I didn't consider that they might share a server. Communication, control and community are just so different. Yeah, it's F2P, but that could be a deal-breaker for me.

Since EQ has such a huge PC fan-base already, there is potential for a PR shitstorm here. Wait and see, I suppose.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Undoubtedly, they would allow you to use controller or KBM with the PS4 version. But I imagine most would use controller. The main issues as others have mentioned are communication and response time: Keypads are still slow, keyboards unwieldy if you're lounging on the couch with the controller. And if you're not -- why not use KBM instead of sitting at a desk with a controller? And analog sticks just don't have the precision or snap reflexes one can attain with KBM unless they literally give the PS4 users an instant-180 button or something. Not to mention voicechat for PC games is centered around Ventrillo or Teamspeak -- so unless apps are added for those to the new consoles, you're either SOL or have to resort to having a laptop nearby or something.

SOE is supposedly reconsidering the Kerran art direction.

http://eqcrowd.com/everquest-next/34...-kerran-design

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    SOE is supposedly reconsidering the Kerran art direction.
    That is good news, the Kerran models I saw looked terrible imo.

Thank goodness. I'd get annoyed if I saw buffed up Tony the Tiger running all over the place.

Thank goodness. I'd get annoyed if I saw buffed up Tony the Tiger running all over the place.
    This comment makes me miss City of Heroes.

Also, the Kerran looked more like Chester Cheetah than Tony the Tiger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theey're GREAT!

I thought it was amusing really, but then again I was kind of meh to the whole aesthetics. Kerran was probably as cartoony as it can get.

Apparently, as part of the storybricks AI, NPCs know when holidays are and will react differently during different holidays. Sounds interesting.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    Apparently, as part of the storybricks AI, NPCs know when holidays are and will react differently during different holidays. Sounds interesting.

Merry Mother has slain you.
    Merry Mother looted [Tickle Me Elmo] off your corpse.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -