Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Why would you NOT want raiding? For me its the reason i play these games. I miss the old school eq raids.
    It's fair for one to not enjoy raiding as a concept or activity. But it is somewhat silly to not expect raiding in the franchise that pioneered the commonly understood & implemented concept of such.

Raiding isn't appropriate for all MMOs. Though in the case of EQ, raiding is perhaps a more appropriate play mode for the EQ franchise than it is for others franchises.

It's like saying, "I hope there isn't shooting in corridors in Doom Next."

Well, then you are sorta not making a Doom game anymore. And probably don';t have a real interest or understanding of Doom from a franchise POV.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-08-02 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Why would you NOT want raiding? For me its the reason i play these games. I miss the old school eq raids.
    open world raiding is alright

instanced raiding? heck no, especially not in a sandbox

open world raiding is alright

instanced raiding? heck no, especially not in a sandbox
    Instanced raiding isn't contra to a sandbox design. "Sandbox" as design concept is not inherently open world based either.

What you likely mean, and forgiver me if I am speculating too much on your intent; is theme park design is contra to sandbox design in an MMO. Which would be true. That would be a contradiction/paradox actually. It couldn't even exist in the first place.

Nonetheless, it is worth clarifying instancing isn't a sole function or operation of either theme park or sandbox MMO design. Instancing is simply a way of handling game maps. It's more a technological trick than a design conceit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Instanced raiding isn't contra to a sandbox design. "Sandbox" as design concept is not inherently open world based either.

What you likely mean, and forgiver me if I am speculating too much on your intent; is theme park design is contra to sandbox design in an MMO. Which would be true. That would be a contradiction/paradox actually. It couldn't even exist in the first place.

Nonetheless, it is worth clarifying instancing isn't a sole function or operation of either theme park or sandbox MMO design. Instancing is simply a way of handling game maps. It's more a technological trick than a design conceit.
    In my opinion, there really shouldn't be "instanced" anything in a true MMORPG. I think that's one of the things that made EverQuest so great. Real-time area occupation was an added element that forced character interaction. I remember making some arch enemies because of area/spawn camping, and also some good friends. Also remember, on my server, the powerhouse guild controlling multiple raid areas 24/7. Don't like it? Better learn player politics in order to manipulate your way into their ranks. This added a real depth to community because your interactions with real people determined your success/failure - none of this hand-holding, "you poor baby! here you go!" bullshit, like other MMOs. Another great element missing from much of today's gaming.

Was always fun going to camp jboots and, instead of going into your own instanced little zone, like in all the hello-kitty MMOs, you found yourself among everyone on the server who was camping them at that time.

Was always fun going to camp jboots
    I remember walking into the zone (South Ro was it, it's been so long I forget) and seeing that Ancient Cyclops wandering around. Such an exciting day!

I played EQ for a good 5-6 years. That was some of the best times I've had in an online game. I really hope they capture the feeling of EQ1 (earning your levels, not having them fall in your lap) with a new engine and cleaned up mechanics. I miss my Necromancer and trusty sidekick Jobaber. The first week was great having a skeleton as a pet. Everyone kept running up to him trying to kill him for his Bone Chips while being kicked by A_Snake_004.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    In UO players set up their own auction houses where they'd invite folks into their large house and auction off items with chat messages. And then the winning bidder would hand over their money and get the item. Not sure if they got the item there and then or if there was a secondary process of contact/exchanging money etc as i'm not sure you could directly trade in UO or if you had to place items on the ground.
    The same was true in EverQuest.

I stood by Second Torch in the East Commons tunnel on an alt and bought items from people too impatient to trade, and then sold them at markup to other users. Unbeknownst to most, I also headed up a secret trade cartel that would artificially inflate the value of key items - while also controlling access to the supply.

We sold Canes of the Tranquil to new monks, while a friend often farmed their spawn - we had control of The Spore King: so we controlled the flow of Fungi Tunics to powerleveling alts.

We also used our prestige as the premiere traders in the EC tunnel to jack up each others Price Checks

Just for fun, we counted A Shady Swashbuckler amongst our ranks, even though he rarely spoke at meetings He was a good listener, though!

By the end of I think... Luclin - I was the second richest entity on the server, the richest being a fellow trader: all the top guilds were effectively poorer than either of us individually - taking pseudo-liquid assets into account, given Fungi Tunics, Amulets of Necropotence, and Blade of Carnage, were often too valuable to be sold for gold: you had to barter just to get them most of the time.

It's odd to think that I'm doing my MBA right now, and my best trading experience in my life comes from being 14-15 and running a cartel in a virtual economy: did the EC tunnel shape my life? o.O
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-08-02 at 05:08 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

New music is pretty solid.

The time is nearly upon us... Do not disappoint me Smedley!

Rofl bring back shady swashbuckler.

And Fippy Darkpaw, definitely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post

One of the coolest things about EQ, was how these random NPCs achieved stories of their own in the community. Shady Swashbuckler, Ambassador D'vinn, Kidzean Gix, Fippy Darkpaw, Rinna Lightshadow - I guess WoW does the same thing with Hogger.

Is there a link to a stream somewhere for it today?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    One of the coolest things about EQ, was how these random NPCs achieved stories of their own in the community. Shady Swashbuckler, Ambassador D'vinn, Kidzean Gix, Fippy Darkpaw, Rinna Lightshadow - I guess WoW does the same thing with Hogger.
    Lol wasn't Hogger based on Fippy?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Is there a link to a stream somewhere for it today?
    http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol wasn't Hogger based on Fippy?
    Is he? I guess that makes sense - I didn't know that

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.twitch.tv/soe

World Premier of EQN in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Only NPCs I know of that took on a life of their own in WoW was Hogger, Mankrik's wife, Gamon, Saurfang, Bolvar (kinda), and to a lesser extent, that forsaken from EPL with the green hyenas that required a raid to defeat. And notice the pattern: all from classic WoW. I would love to get that old mmorpg community feeling with this game. I just hope they don't cave in to the FPS game players who want shit now and just want to stand in 1 spot while the game makes a group for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Only NPCs I know of that took on a life of their own in WoW was Hogger, Mankrik's wife, Gamon, Saurfang, Bolvar (kinda), and to a lesser extent, that forsaken from EPL with the green hyenas that required a raid to defeat. And notice the pattern: all from classic WoW. I would love to get that old mmorpg community feeling with this game. I just hope they don't cave in to the FPS game players who want shit now and just want to stand in 1 spot while the game makes a group for them.
    Server community, I want that back. I would also like a game that isnt shit easy to max out your toon in 3 weeks. We can only hope.

How to have fun trolling the Twitch channel.

"Looks like another fail WoW clone"

Also watching the people getting interviewed about their first experiences in EQ and damn we are some old people.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-08-02 at 07:10 PM.

after reading some of the preview articles that have just come out, I have to say this really looks nice

Of course this is all on paper and the proof is in the pudding but I'm a bit excited now for it

I will hate salt art forever now. Fuck their stupid salt art, I want to see the fucking game.

Agreed. This better be good because I'm falling asleep here.

Ugh. This sand painting nonsense.

Smedley, I just want to know the gameplay facts. For the love of god. Just give me the damn facts.