10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    More lay offs

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/06/da...-in-san-diego/

It’s been almost a month since Daybreak (formerly SOE) laid off several of its employees following its acquisition by Columbus Nova, but we’re only now starting to see the full scope of the event.

U-T San Diego reports that 140 employees were let go from Daybreak’s San Diego office, although the studio is not talking about how many were affected from the Austin location. Those laid off had an “effective termination date” of April 13th.

To recap the Daybreak saga so far: Investment firm Columbus Nova purchased SOE from Sony on February 2nd and renamed it Daybreak Game Company. On February 11th, the studio laid off a portion of its staff from several teams. Since then, PlanetSide 2’s Matt Higby resigned, EverQuest Next dropped Storybricks (which then closed), and GM support in Daybreak’s games was pared down.

[Source: U-T San Diego]
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

If Storybricks is gone, now I'm doubting EverQuest Next is going to be anything remotely close to what was envisioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    TAKE IT BACK, MAN! Don't say that...
    It pains me to say it, but my visions are what they are....

i've had a little interest in this game until now.

i'd like to say it's surprising to see the lack of soul or care from people about anything but money, but it doesn't surprise me at all. people are horrible, and the game will suffer for it. i might try it if it's ever f2p, but i won't be putting a cent into it because i know how it's gonna turn out with these wastes of life running it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like EA studio acquisition, but faster and more shitty.
    RIP SOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What the fuck is even going on over there.
    Shit is.

RIP SOE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Like I said earlier, I understand any and all pessimism for EQ Next's future at this point.

I honestly somewhat question if original EQ is going to survive this.
    It's a good question. Weirdly enough if the stars were to align properly I could see Blizzard buying the EQ/EQN assets and game. If you think about it, it makes a certain amount of sense. I know, horrors. And for those that think that Blizzard taking them in would be a terrible idea you're likely to see the game end up someplace worse or nowhere at all.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2015-03-06 at 10:16 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's a good question. Weirdly enough if the stars were to align properly I could see Blizzard buying the EQ/EQN assets and game. If you think about it, it makes a certain amount of sense. I know, horrors. And for those that think that Blizzard taking them in would be a terrible idea you're likely to see the game end up someplace worse or nowhere at all.
    While possible, I seriously don't think Blizzard would ever buy anything outside their own company now. Not after Games Workshop gave them the boot and Blizzard went on to create Warcraft and SC in their face. Not after they've been using their own IPs to create CCGs and Blizzard's own MOBA version of Super Smash Bros. Blizzard wouldn't neccsarily need to buy EQN to use ideas such as Storybricks; technically Storybricks never materialized and we see devs (including Blizzard and SOE) take ideas from other games and apply them to theirs without having to pay anything.

I can't think of anything Blizzard would do with the Everquest license that wouldn't undercut their existing, stronger brands, in competing markets. I guess Blizz could just sit on the franchise- but it's not like EQ commands a hefty market share that would protect Blizzard's own franchises for having sat on the EQ brand.

Nor would it be worth the cost to develop new EQ brands or subsidize existing EQ brands for Blizzard.

I honestly think it makes no sense at all to posit the idea of Blizzard acquiring the EQ franchise for any profitable end. If they were to do such a thing, it would be in the same manner of Daybreak- to slash costs and sell off assets pieceameal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If they were to do such a thing, it would be in the same manner of Daybreak- to slash costs and sell off assets pieceameal.
    Better for them to do nothing and hope some one else kills it for them, all benefit and no bad rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Better for them to do nothing and hope some one else kills it for them, all benefit and no bad rep.
    I am fine with this.

I'd rather leave a very much and beloved franchise die with a special place for it in our hearts rather than it desperately dragged out and leave a bad memory.

I do not understand this reaction. The game was mostly vaporware and didn't even had a gameplay concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I do not understand this reaction. The game was mostly vaporware and didn't even had a gameplay concept.
    There is a definitive gameplay concept behind EQ Next. It's like right on their website.

There is a definitive gameplay concept behind EQ Next. It's like right on their website.
    If "everquestnext" is their official site, it is probably not there. There are just a page with 6 pictures and some buzzwords.
    If not, I'd like to read it.

If "everquestnext" is their official site, it is probably not there. There are just a page with 6 pictures and some buzzwords.
    If not, I'd like to read it.
    Well, if you want to dismiss their bullet points that is fine. But they also have lengthy videos, streams and FAQs on the site as well.

Perhaps it would be more productive if you outlined what exactly would satisfy your concept for gameplay in Everquest Next. If it is a personal pocket definition, than than is cool but no one can help with that desire. Though if it is outlined in the projected features of gameplay as described by EQN's developers than that information is present expressly.

you are asking way too much of him, Fencers

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    you are asking way too much of him, Fencers
    I am not going to demean, dismiss or denigrate a user of these forums if they have a valid and rational question or argument. And I certainly am not going to do so before even knowing their position- "oh it's so-so user! what a load of bs!" is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about the absolution of our collective ignorance.

fair enough, if you enjoy beating your head against the wall then so be it

But they also have lengthy videos, streams and FAQs on the site as well.
    Their FAQ just contains 4 bullet points out of 6 from the main page.
    What I want to see is an actual description of game systems and elements in text format, and not videos of 'developers' reading off the script of the same boring words we've heard about 'new generation' MMOs back in 2011. Facts, comparisons, all without weasel words. Isn't it too much to ask? Hell. we've heard about 'NPCs with actual behaviors' back in 2005 when Oblivion was going to be out, then the same for Skyrim... and I doubt it will be implemented as they want us to believe.

What I want to see is an actual description of game systems and elements in text format, and not videos of 'developers' reading off the script of the same boring words we've heard about 'new generation' MMOs back in 2011.
    Fair enough, they do not provide a detailed design document on their website.

I know of no game developer that does for a game in alpha development, however. Simply due to goals being volatile during that stage of development.

Facts, comparisons, all without weasel words.
    Well, all they state are all facts of their development until proven otherwise. We personally have not played or can play the game to test the validity of development.

Comparisons to what? Is that common of game developers? I think most PR firms would advise against most comparisons.

"Weasel words"? I am not sure what this means or how it would be defined in a manner than is objective. So it seems this is your own pocket definition. That is not suitable grounds for conversation.

Isn't it too much to ask?
    Yes. If what they provide can not satisfy your personal criteria, nothing will.

"Here is an hour long video where we talk about our design"
    "Not good enough. I want it in text."
    "Here is some bullet points of what we have planned."
    "I want facts and comparisons!"
    "The game is still development though..."

What you are asking for is not reasonable for the stage of development of the game. Though the developers did outline their design and gameplay explicitly; they even showed live gameplay. But you refuse this as well for... personal reasons.

Sad to see Storybricks have to disband. They say it has nothing to do with the Columbus Nova buyout but the timing is too coincidental, my thoughts are EQN was one of their biggest clients and without them it couldn't run.

That being said, I have a strong feeling the former members of Storybricks will get pulled into Ken Levine's new project.