Page 5 of 173 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Seems more and more companies are going for the sandbox route, as it does seem players are getting tired of playing the same old theme park with a different look. 3 big sandboxes coming in the next 5 years that I am looking forward to. EQNext, ESO, and Pathfinder Online. I hope they do awesomely, and open the doors for others to try out the sandbox. And then people will get tired of sandbox and want theme park again. Which is fine by me. Keeps things interesting and not stale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    You had me at "largest sandbox MMO ever"

But seriously, I've never wanted anything more than for this game to actually turn out good.

dafuq?

Simply put, that will destroy the game, and along with it any lingering loyalty of us EQ vets. "Easy for players" and "EverQuest" don't belong in the same sentence.

The way MMOs have gone the past decade, entering a world where I can become encumbered, hungry/thirsty because I have no food/drink, lose experience on death, and have no maps as I explore dangerous zones would ironically be a huge fucking breath of fresh air right now.
    I understand it needs severe penalty's for dying as its a sandbox mmo, but its the deleveling that makes me uncertain on this, my own experience with sandbox mmo's comes from runescape, where you lost all bar your 3 most valuable items and all your coins if you died and was not fast enough finding your corpse.

This kind of thing is excellent in these games as it adds an actual sense of danger to doing things out in the world. But its the deleveling that really makes me uncertain on the game.

How grindy did gaining levels used to be? From my experience with mentioned sandbox web browser game it could take 3-4 weeks of constant 24/7 botting to max out a skill with there being 28 of them, and if you did not bot it was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    I understand it needs severe penalty's for dying as its a sandbox mmo, but its the deleveling that makes me uncertain on this, my own experience with sandbox mmo's comes from runescape, where you lost all bar your 3 most valuable items and all your coins if you died and was not fast enough finding your corpse.

This kind of thing is excellent in these games as it adds an actual sense of danger to doing things out in the world. But its the deleveling that really makes me uncertain on the game.

How grindy did gaining levels used to be? From my experience with mentioned sandbox web browser game it could take 3-4 weeks of constant 24/7 botting to max out a skill with there being 28 of them, and if you did not bot it was a nightmare.
    All a developer has to look at to see working sandbox death penalty is to look at EvE-Online, not saying they have to adapt exactly the same model but the complex gathering and crafting tied in with the loss system works quite well and would translate in to any game with some adaptation.

Basically you would go the EVE Online/Ultima Online route, essentially. (Or SWG I guess for that matter)

Equipment is expected to be lost somewhat regularly, and is diversified to allow it to fulfill many niches. The balance is of course in exactly how much time it requires to replace said stuff. In UO it was about an hour's worth of farming to pay for a replacement set of equipment, in EVE it's more like several hours unless you're flying Tier1 frigates or something.

The question is whether an MMO base that's "grown up" on "purples" can acclimate to the idea that you aren't going to have huge equipment disparities without risking a lot of valuable items; and that you can't grow too attached to anything, because you're gonna lose it eventually unless you just stare at it behind locked doors in your house.

While the death penalty is one of my fewest concerns, I would chime in and say I don't feel EQ's death penalties were as harsh as people make them out to be. It made guilds more cautious in their approach, it made raids focus on fewer wipes rather than rushing through to cut 10 minutes off the previous clear time. And corpse runs in a new raid zone were sometimes more exciting than the raid itself.

You had me at "largest sandbox MMO ever"

But seriously, I've never wanted anything more than for this game to actually turn out good.

dafuq?

Simply put, that will destroy the game, and along with it any lingering loyalty of us EQ vets. "Easy for players" and "EverQuest" don't belong in the same sentence.

The way MMOs have gone the past decade, entering a world where I can become encumbered, hungry/thirsty because I have no food/drink, lose experience on death, and have no maps as I explore dangerous zones would ironically be a huge fucking breath of fresh air right now.
    Dafuq what? Death penalty and no in-game map doesn't make it sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrdict View Post
    While the death penalty is one of my fewest concerns, I would chime in and say I don't feel EQ's death penalties were as harsh as people make them out to be. It made guilds more cautious in their approach, it made raids focus on fewer wipes rather than rushing through to cut 10 minutes off the previous clear time. And corpse runs in a new raid zone were sometimes more exciting than the raid itself.
    Well, it also depends on when in the timeline of EQ you're talking about. Early on the death penalties could be rather brutal, because you rarely were able to get a res on your corpse, so you weren't able to recover any of the EXP. And the lower level resses also only gave what was it? 50% back? But like, once we're talking Luclin or Planes of Power -- 96% resses were plentiful, and players were more centralized in zones, which made finding a resser much easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Well, it also depends on when in the timeline of EQ you're talking about. Early on the death penalties could be rather brutal, because you rarely were able to get a res on your corpse, so you weren't able to recover any of the EXP. And the lower level resses also only gave what was it? 50% back? But like, once we're talking Luclin or Planes of Power -- 96% resses were plentiful, and players were more centralized in zones, which made finding a resser much easier.
    Clerics with a Water Sprinkler were my best friends.

Personally, I'd like to see at least some of these things:
    • A skill, rather than class, based system
    • Player housing/cities
    • No instanced dungeons/LFR/LFD
    • No easy access instant travel

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Clerics with a Water Sprinkler were my best friends.

Personally, I'd like to see at least some of these things:
    • A skill, rather than class, based system
    • Player housing/cities
    • No instanced dungeons/LFR/LFD
    • No easy access instant travel
    You just described Ultima Online. Which they need to make a massively updated version of.
    I started off on UO I just thought everything you could do was amazing. Not the best graphics but they were good enough considering the freedom you had. Even when EQ and WoW came out I still played UO and sadly I still have an active subscription to this day. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrock View Post
    You just described Ultima Online. Which they need to make a massively updated version of.
    I started off on UO I just thought everything you could do was amazing. Not the best graphics but they were good enough considering the freedom you had. Even when EQ and WoW came out I still played UO and sadly I still have an active subscription to this day. Lol.
    Def not the only one. Soon as a promising game is announces it has "Levels" I get sad
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I played UO for a couple years before they introduced Trammel/Felucia, then I quit for Everquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Dafuq what? Death penalty and no in-game map doesn't make it sandbox.
    No they don't. But the fact that EQ was a sandbox game... makes it a sandbox... o.O

Yes please. Someone go find Lord British and make this happen.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-14 at 10:17 PM.

No they don't. But the fact that EQ was a sandbox game... makes it a sandbox... o.O
    But the fact that EQ wasn't a sandbox game makes it not a sandbox?

EQ wasn't really a sandbox, but it at least offered a decent amount of relatively free-form gameplay. You could work up your faction with various peoples or cities to gain access to them, even if you started out hostile. Or classes like the Enchanter could use their illusions and faction spells to basically gain access to any city they want. (Tunare High Elf banking in Neriak? No problem!)

My mind draws a blank at more examples atm, but I'm sure others can think of random stuff they could get away with in the game.

I still think it's a damn shame that EA had to swoop in and snap up Origin when they did. Cancelling UO2 late in development was such a disappointment. Then ironically enough, many years later they started developing ANOTHER Ultima MMO years later only to can it late in development once again...

EQ felt like a sandbox because the themepark rides didn't have such blatant signs to direct you like in WoW. EQ you had to type the right word to communicate to an NPC to get a quest. They eventually put the word in brackets to make it easier. But there was no giant glowing yellow exclamation point above their head.

It's almost like, all the quests existed, but you never felt like they were so important so you only did them when you wanted to.

My wishlist for EQ Next

* Player house/cities
    * Diplomacy/Mercantile as a viable play-style.

If I could mash some games together, I'd pick Mount and Blade Warband as the base; and then just build upon that by adding MMO elements and more content. Add some Minecraft into the mix as well.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-01-20 at 04:38 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    My wishlist for EQ Next

* Player house/cities
    * Diplomacy/Mercantile as a viable play-style.

If I could mash some games together, I'd pick Mount and Blade Warband as the base; and then just build upon that by adding MMO elements and more content. Add some Minecraft into the mix as well.
    If there is legitimate non-combat class/profession ect. that allows you to progress through trade/crafting and whatnot, I will shit my pants. I've been looking for a decent game (not EVE) that allows for that and I haven't found one yet. WTB full support for non-combat progression pls.

Damn, I was wondering if they'd ever make another Everquest game. I'm really hoping this turns out good.

Just tell me Everquest Next is just a codename or something. They make it sound like a stupid Square Enix project or Wii(name here) game.

i will drop wow so fast for EQNext if it stands up to what they claim. I have faith that if anyone can do it the Everquest team can. signed for:

no instances
    no crz/group finder
    HARD game with penalties for death
    support roles like bard and enchanter
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-01-21 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    If there is legitimate non-combat class/profession ect. that allows you to progress through trade/crafting and whatnot, I will shit my pants. I've been looking for a decent game (not EVE) that allows for that and I haven't found one yet. WTB full support for non-combat progression pls.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Fi-Sandbox-MMO

Progression via crafting and entertainment skillz (with a mutha fuckin z).

And I'm all for instanced dungeons, just because of the anger, fear and depression I experienced in the Original EQ while trying to camp spawns for drops. I mean hours of camping only to miss it because of my bladder.