10 man healing the first 16 bosses.

Our guild has only been raiding a few weeks and everything is going along ok. I'm questioning though if a Holy Paladin is an ideal healer in a 10 man set-up for this tier of content. Many fights have a good bit of raid damage and it seems to be a bit difficult for a Holy Pally compared to a Disc Priest. What are your experiences and what do you think is the ideal set-up for heals in 10 man? Right now we have a capable Druid, Pally, Priest, and Shammy. I personally prefer the Druid/Priest combo with Shammy help if needed on a 3 heal fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'f say for this tier:

Disc Priest is much preffered over anything by miles, atm. (Can go holy for some fights, but not really needed even when hc content was fresh (after priest buff)
    Then Holy pal, or Resto Druid. Monk isnt too bad either, but I dont have too much experience with it.

Shaman is far behind.
    Last edited by Celar; 2012-12-23 at 07:51 PM.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

Quote Originally Posted by PriestLuna View Post
    Our guild has only been raiding a few weeks and everything is going along ok. I'm questioning though if a Holy Paladin is an ideal healer in a 10 man set-up for this tier of content. Many fights have a good bit of raid damage and it seems to be a bit difficult for a Holy Pally compared to a Disc Priest. What are your experiences and what do you think is the ideal set-up for heals in 10 man? Right now we have a capable Druid, Pally, Priest, and Shammy. I personally prefer the Druid/Priest combo with Shammy help if needed on a 3 heal fight.
    There's advantages and disadvantages to everything (Disc Priest is just good overall though), but it depends on your overall raid comp as well for heroics. If you're just doing normals for now, all healers can handle them fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Celar View Post
    Disc Priest is much preffered over anything by miles, atm.
    All down to Spirit Shell. It's basically a massive raid cooldown and a gigantic hps snipe all in one.

But for the OP a Holy Paladin is always useful in 10 mans. On most fights they are strong. Their weakness falls with fights that force the raid to spread. We just can't deal with that scenario as effectively as, say, a Holy Priest. Though with the PvP 4pc or PvE 4pc and EF you can become a decent spread healer too.
    Last edited by Pasture; 2012-12-25 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    I would pick the disc priest + paladin/shaman/druid, a monk + disc priest is just a pretty bad combo unless you are on garalon/tsulong heroic and even then its not optimal. A disc priest + paladin/druid will probably provide the most balanced throughput and they each have their pros and cons. A disc priest + shaman will give you some crazy raid cooldowns but the priest will have to do more healing than with the other setups, however with a mana tide the priest should never ever go oom so that shouldnt be much of a problem.

That said holy paladins are very strong and viable for every single fight in the game. I have 2 healed garalon, windlord and blade lord heroic where both of us played a holy paladin so you wont find a fight in this game where a paladin is not good enough.

Good info thanks guys.