Poll: What tank is easiest to learn and not awfully gear dependant?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the easiest tank to play?

Yes, it's me, one of those casuals you always hear ruining the game

I want the next char I level to 90 to be a tank, chaining dungeon to level / gear up.
    I'm a very casual player. I used to play professionally and read up on every little detail about my class and every encounter, now I just want to play.
    So, what would you say is the tanking class that's easiest to learn and isn't too much gear-dependant, if there is such a thing atm?

I didn't include monk as a single vote because my monk is still very low level.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ruud; 2012-12-23 at 08:46 PM.

You never played the game professionally because you think wow is a profession. You have most likely been a casual since the beginning of the game.

Roll monk. super easy, the leveling time will be worth it if you are looking for an easy class.

Paladin/Druid/Warrior Tanks would probably be the easiest IMO

Paladin/Druid/Warrior, Deathknight, Monk - is the order that I personally think is easiest to difficult.

Again, this is my personal opinion so please don't chew me out if your opinion is different.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

Fastest to level 90 from starting would be a DK.

Deleted
    I've played only druid, warrior and dk as tanks, leveled them all as tanks as well. From those 3 classes I think druid is the easiest.

As for gear dependence, I think they are all equal.

They're all easy. But imo warrior is the most fun, even while leveling. Just get threatplates or something similar so you can see what mobs you have aggro on and it's a breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    DK.
    Spam stinking death strike and that's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Knights.

I don't play DPS type toons in WoW, as they don't interest me. But when I need a spot tank, it's a DK. They're so easy to play even a full time healer can play them reasonably well.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

warrior is far from the easiest one if you want to do it on a good level. any is decent if you just want to faceroll tank herocis.

Deleted
    Death knight - hands down. Faceroll class and the best tank out there.

I'd be really curious to see how many people voting for those classes actually play them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itzferal View Post
    Paladin/Druid/Warrior Tanks would probably be the easiest IMO

Paladin/Druid/Warrior, Deathknight, Monk - is the order that I personally think is easiest to difficult.

Again, this is my personal opinion so please don't chew me out if your opinion is different.
    To be average at a dk yes. But to be any good at a dk I would say its the hardest.

Going with pally as the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffman View Post
    I'd be really curious to see how many people voting for those classes actually play them
    Well I have all tanks but monk and that is only due to not have a spot on my realm. Yes they gave you another one but that was for a poor priest that got left behind when I changed realms years ago.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2012-12-23 at 09:03 PM.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Puffman View Post
    i play all of the tanks, my opinion, dk is by far the easiest.

have to agree with the poll
    DK is the easiest tank since every noob can spam deathstrike, but if you want to master a DK tank and time DS perfectly its way harder than any other tankclass and i have any tankclass at 85+ so i can say that

Paladin is pretty simple too mostly because of the reason that if you just stand there doing nothing you dont really get much higher dmg than when you actually play. block doesnt require you to press any buttons.

I was going to argue - I play a DK tank and it comes with a stupidly large number of buttons to push and keep track of. But rereading the OP, I think DK might be the answer anyway. A lot of those buttons make a difference in how much damage you can do while tanking, or complete a suite of emergency and utility buttons. You can operate a DK tank at reasonably high efficiency with a much smaller selection of powers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfire View Post
    DK.
    Spam stinking death strike and that's all.
    poor healers..

Death Knight. It requires the least amount of skill and experience to be a passable tank. If you want to be awesome, have the talent to do so, then this is by far the most overpowered tanking spec.

What you didn't ask but might as well be said here before it becomes the only point of this thread: Is it the most fun? I don't think so, no. For my own personal preferences I think Monk or Paladin might be more enjoyable but Monk is by far the most difficult tanking spec as it relies almost entirely active mitigation with its self-healing requiring actually moving around and its absorption shield being part of a rotation not a consequence of it.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    That Monk option is kinda poorly designed.

You can have more than 5 Poll options, y'know.

Anyway, I'd say Paladins. Their active mitigation is the most predictable. Even Warrior and Druid rage can still be a bit RNG factored. Paladins just get "Active mitigation every X seconds" or such.

I'd say:

Paladin < Druid < Warrior < Death Knoob < Monk
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I've been saying this for a while Death Knight is the easiest to be good at, but the hardest to be great at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulthaz
    Why are they deleting all the topics about this on the official forums?

thats censorship man, fucking unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Its almost like it's a private forum with a set of rules people agreed to follow!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive played all tank classes on 85 and got a 90 monk atm, though i'm healer mainspecc. i think warrior is the easiest one, but that is simply cause i have played it the most, paladin is also really easy, not that much experience with druid tanking, only leveled up as tank then switched to healer.