WoWDB Addon Data Collection

How do we know what is inside Stolen Present within hours of an event going live?
    From data mining.

I think what is meant to be said is: "How do we know the drop %'s within hours of an event going live.
    What was in the Stolen Present was known as soon as it was in the game files.

Well, this is what I would do:

We know the drop chance of the item from last year's event and of epic items from other events. You can then extrapolate from the restricted amount of data you have that the previous year's drop chance is still correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, the drop rate is calculated off of actual data collected, which means it may be wrong early on because of a small sample size and gets more accurate the more people submit data.

(I am not sure what data mining has to do with the wowdb addon.)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As far as I know, the drop rate is calculated off of actual data collected, which means it may be wrong early on because of a small sample size and gets more accurate the more people submit data.

(I am not sure what data mining has to do with the wowdb addon.)

The statement I linked says "How do we know what is inside Stolen Present within hours of an event going live? "
    The answer to that statement is that they know this information from data mining not the WoWDB addon, it is misleading people into what the add on does.
    The wowdb add on will show the % of drop rate, the contents of the package were know well ahead of time.

Just seems misleading to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The statement I linked says "How do we know what is inside Stolen Present within hours of an event going live? "
    The answer to that statement is that they know this information from data mining not the WoWDB addon, it is misleading people into what the add on does.
    The wowdb add on will show the % of drop rate, the contents of the package were know well ahead of time.

Just seems misleading to me.
    I guess what confused me is that I don't see a link in your original post, so I didn't really understand what you were responding to.

I assume you're talking about the news post though, in which case I'm not really sure it is misleading. It might have been seen in gamefiles via datamining, or known from the PTR, but that doesn't always mean it makes it live nor does it necessarily give us context for where it comes from. The wowdb addon does that, and it's helpful to run, and it's how MMOC determines things like the content of the Stolen Present. That isn't misleading to say the addon helps determine the contents of the boxes just because people might have known the xmas tree dagger existed already through other means -- it still does that.

| twitch | bsky
    |

wowDB is the addon that both this site and wow head use to calculate drop rates right?
    cokloc's videos: on WeGame.com on YouTube.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coil222 View Post
    wowDB is the addon that both this site and wow head use to calculate drop rates right?
    No, Wowhead has its own data collection addon.

Wowdb addon
    is the one Curse uses (data is collected via the addon and uploaded via the curse client), which contributes to MMO-Champion and the wowdb.com

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The contents are not known ahead of time, they can only be collected via the addon.