Stone Guards Strategy

We've killed Stone Guards a number of times, but it's always messy and I'm sure there's a clean method to it that we can adopt.

Right now we just have one tank on each side of the room. We designate one tank to always have 2 guards on him and the other always to have one. When the appropriate guard is petrifying we have the double tank have it so we taunt however needed. The single tank will switch whenever appropriate to keep the non-petrifying guards from overloading.

We've positioned the raid in different ways. Sometimes all on the red carpet spread out and sometimes stacked following the two guards up and down.

Overall it just feels clunky as ever. What's a surefire ezmode way your guild(s) encounter this boss that we could maybe adopt? Thanks.

The easiest strategy that I have found as a tank (who has had to teach this fight many times..) is to just have the tanks start like you already are with one having 2 dogs and the other having 1. For positioning we like to have the tanks at opposite ends of the carpet instead of one on either side. The 2 dogs together will start building energy, when they hit 50 energy (one will be petrifying/overloading whatever) the tank with the single dog (at zero energy) taunts the dog that IS OVERLOADING.

Now that these energy levels are set, all the tanks need to do is pay attention to which one is overloading. There will now only ever be 2 situations the tanks have to deal with:

a) You have 1 dog, and your dog is selected to overload next
    - You then taunt over the dog that JUST overloaded (as it is now at 0 energy), and the other tank continues tanking the 1 dog he has left
    b) You have 2 dogs, and one of your dogs is selected to overload next
    - Neither of the tanks have to do anything, as the energy levels are set properly. Offtank prepares to potentially taunt that dog after it overloads (if he is then in situation a)

This strategy works just as good on 25man, you just have to set the energy levels at the start by having 2 tanks take 2 dogs each, then at 25 energy third tank takes a non-overloading dog (from tank that doesn't have overloading dog), at 50 energy a tank with a single dog takes the overloading dog, then at 75 the other single-dog-tank takes it. (It's simple once you try it)

The key to making this fight a joke is that first swap at 50 energy that sets the energy levels so that you never have to think about them again.

P.S: If the tank with 1 dog overloads first don't panic (like pug tanks always do for me) just have that tank taunt either of the other dogs to him and tank them to 50 (then start the cycle above)

Deleted
    tank A take 2 dogs
    tank B take 1 dog

If the single dog gets empowered, tank B simply taunts the highest energy mob from tank A and tank A taunts tank B's dog.

It is not really more complicated than that.

Raid don't stand in shit.
    When cobalt is active, break the ice traps.
    Do not bother with the chains.

Thank you specter, where do you position your raid?

What firefly said, there isn't really and ezmode for the fight. If theres cobalt traps kite up and down on either side of the carpet. If you break the fight down into its components theres really 2 things it boils down to:

- Correct taunts
    - Avoiding the poo (this requires movement)

No doubt someone will tell you their awesome lfr like strat soon where you one tank it with all the dogs together and "just use cooldowns" for unprotected explosions. I personally believe that approach is doomed to failure unless you chronically outgear the content. Feel free to try it though )

I've always had our raid move slowly toward the door, then turn around and slowly move back. Using the carpet as a divider and keeping in mind that ranged must run to melee for jasper chains when linked, this should be all the positioning you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    No doubt someone will tell you their awesome lfr like strat soon where you one tank it with all the dogs together and "just use cooldowns" for unprotected explosions. I personally believe that approach is doomed to failure unless you chronically outgear the content. Feel free to try it though )
    I wasn't going to bring it up but one guild on our server that I was helping out finally worked out a strat that allowed them to down Stone Guards. On the pull one tanks takes two dogs and the other tanks takes one dog but they stack all the dogs on top of each other until the first overload. With cleaving and multidotting they get some really good damage off at the start, assuming this is on normal the overload damage should be survivable (everyone is stacked anyways might as well use a raid cooldown). After the first overload the tanks split up the dogs and then continue with a typical tank swapping strat.