View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    when somthing becomes the sterotype its not exactly a "ripoff"

If you buy a beer you expect it to taste like beer, beers can be very different, but the overall flavour of beer is recognised by all.

Warhammer is an older "beer" than Warcraft, and set some benchmarks as to what a "beer" should have.

but they are very different beers.

Side note: Im drinking a beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Well you really can not say a game is good off of the number of subs. yes 10 million subs sounds good for marketing but lets be real how many of the 10 million are pay to plays from the east.
    Does it really matter where the subs are to be an indicator of a good game? I don't think so, that seems to be a nitpick.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I would say it comes down to option on that. Everquest is still around after 14 yrs.
    You're right in that someone's opinion on something can't be wrong, someone can definitely like Everquest more than WoW, they'll never be wrong in that regard.

Similarly, someone can like McDoubles from McDonalds more than any other burger in the world, that doesn't mean McDoubles are good cheeseburgers.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Clearly, I don't think anyone is saying "EVERQUEST SUCKS11111" That's up to debate. Better then WoW? Likely not but meh..and your avatar...it's creepy...

What you find better is just option based as for the Avatar he was a real dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

Quote Originally Posted by Dreogan View Post
    Wrong. Starcraft predates the updated Tyranids. When starcraft came out, WH40k tyranids were limited to the human genestealer cult.

Sorry, had to let my neckbeard out for a second there.
    +100 Internets for you
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Deleted
    Clearly, I don't think anyone is saying "EVERQUEST SUCKS11111" That's up to debate. Better then WoW? Likely not but meh..and your avatar...it's creepy...
    Shouldn't probably use the word "better", but rather "more popular". That's the thing that defines what you call as what clone anyway. Not to mention that how good something is, is very much based on opinions, where as popularity isn't.

Well you really can not say a game is good off of the number of subs. yes 10 million subs sounds good for marketing but lets be real how many of the 10 million are pay to plays from the east.
    Ok, so you got sub numbers out of the way, what about everything else that makes WoW better?

10+ Year Old Account
    What you find better is just option based as for the Avatar he was a real dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley
    I know but I still think WoW is better only cause based on from what I see on EQ....was somewhat lesser but got WoW started.

Shouldn't probably use the word "better", but rather "more popular". That's the thing that defines what you call as what clone anyway. Not to mention that how good something is, is very much based on opinions, where as popularity isn't.

Popularity does have a tendancy to show something is good.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow follows the basic premise gameplay as everquest did.

So wow would be a "everquest clone" under your logic
    But it is. Even it's lead devs were EQ raiders...lol.

All games copy something from other games. It's part of making games. Some of the things in WoW are even odes to EQ/EQ2 monsters, like...

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Terrorantula

and WoW's hat tip of...

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=20682

Is SoE complaining? No. As Tirion isn't complaining of AoE looting and dynamic world bosses from RIFT.

In the end gamers get a better game.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreogan View Post
    Wrong. Starcraft predates the updated Tyranids. When starcraft came out, WH40k tyranids were limited to the human genestealer cult.

Sorry, had to let my neckbeard out for a second there.
    I am pretty sure that the codex tyranids was long out when starcraft was released which already included at least quite a bit more than just a couple genestealers. I don't remember though if it was earlier than the development start.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-12-24 at 06:00 AM.

Everything is essentially a rip off of something else honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Everything is essentially a rip off of something else honestly.
    Or Inspired..whatever floats your boat.

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account

Sir , does warhammer have a bug report forum ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Ok, so you got sub numbers out of the way, what about everything else that makes WoW better?
    Everything else is a matter of opinion. EQ has better graphics. Game play depends on what you enjoy

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 10:03 PM ----------

speaking of that photo. Why the fuck don't wow orcs have boar mounts >.<

Deleted
    Popularity does have a tendancy to show something is good.
    Sorry, can't hear you over all this Bieber music in Mcdonalds.

Popularity has a tendency of showing what product has good marketing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Sales figures, sub numbers, gameplay, graphics, and critical reception, just to name a few things. How about this, how is Everquest better than WoW?
    It still has a community.

In all of WoW's 10million players the game feels like being in NYC, and just as soulless. EQ2? I didn't even start the game alone, as soon as I stepped off the boat and got my first quest, had a player mentor by my side. Helped me with my first weapon and even crate, then stayed until I learned the mechanics (about 17 levels).

THAT'S a community.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Everything else is a matter of opinion. EQ has better graphics. Game play depends on what you enjoy
    Except Everquest DOESN'T have better graphics, that's something you can prove

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 10:03 PM ----------

WoW orcs are nothing like Warhammer orcs.

10+ Year Old Account

Cause they're too busy slaying them for meat...or pork

Sorry, can't hear you over all this Bieber music in Mcdonalds.

Popularity has a tendency of showing what product has good marketing.
    ....Pretty sure it's more then just Lolmarketing.

It still has a community.

In all of WoW's 10million players the game feels like being in NYC, and just as soulless. EQ2? I didn't even start the game alone, as soon as I stepped off the boat and got my first quest, had a player mentor by my side. Helped me with my first weapon and even crate, then stayed until I learned the mechanics (about 17 levels).

THAT'S a community.
    You're confusing a good community and a community. A community is still a community no matter what.

Warrior-Magi

All MMO's follow the same style in the end, no matter what.