View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    9 pages and not one repost of this? Did I just miss it?

You guys should learn by now that Kevyne is just the stereotypical WoW basher on here and just be done with him.

You're not going to convince him otherwise because that's not why he's on here. He's not trying for a legitimate conversation, just to spout his anti-WoW rhetoric.

Again, who cares if the original Warcraft was related to Warhammer? Im not even sure what the connotation of that being true (If it is) that's trying to be pushed is. That all of Warcraft's success is because of another game? Welcome to the gaming industry. Or I guess just "life" in general. One thing is popular and someone else comes along and uses the idea to make something else, and then that becomes popular. Continue to infinity.

This seems like a pointless topic that serves to do nothing but drum up fighting in the community.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-12-24 at 06:42 PM.

"Ripoff" implies violation of someones rights. No such violation occurred. Therefore, no ripoff.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    You guys should learn by now that Kevyne is just the stereotypical WoW basher on here and just be done with him.

You're not going to convince him otherwise because that's not why he's on here. He's not trying for a legitimate conversation, just to spout his anti-WoW rhetoric.

Again, who cares if the original Warcraft was related to Warhammer? Im not even sure what the connotation of that being true (If it is) that's trying to be pushed is. That all of Warcraft's success is because of another game? Welcome to the gaming industry. Or I guess just "life" in general. One thing is popular and someone else comes along and uses the idea to make something else, and then that becomes popular. Continue to infinity.

This seems like a pointless topic that serves to do nothing but drum up fighting in the community.
    This is true.

He is the Manifestation of all the Warcraft haters and victims of sub-par MMOs.

I bet he doesn't have an actual physical form.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    That's GW ripping from blizzard, not the other way around.....

What Blizzard zerg model looks like a GW model from the time of the Star Craft launch?
    The entire indentity of the Zerg was influenced by Tyranids. Along with Aliens and Starship Troopers Bugs. Zerg are a culmination of all typical primal alien tropes. There's no one thing you can single out, but you can tell there are similarities between the Zerg and Tyranids. They're both hive-minded swarmy insectoid alien races.

The Ultralisk was very much a redesigned Carnifex (80's version with the scythelike blades). At the core the designs are very different, but the giant blades are an obvious influence.

Definitely not similar enough to be called a Ripoff. The Zerg maintain their own identity, and that's what makes them unique. Warhammer 40k itself was based on Warhammer Fantasy, which was based on Tolkien's work and other fantasy sources of the time. Orcs all derived from Tolkien, so if anything this whole 'ripoff' thing is a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    WoW doesn't have much of a community AT ALL.

One trip in LFD/LFR/BGs and it's seen vividly.

Dungeons and raids I did in EQ2 were high social affairs, where after each we would even stand around for over an hour chit chatting, that's on top of chit chatting through the instances (as they have built in stellar voice chat, with ready made group leader presets...which is why almost all there are in voice chat, be it in guild/questing/instances. Coming over to WoW was a big culture shock where most still typed in instances like it was 2001). It's what I really miss about that game, it was social and people wanting to help others -- not carry you -- help you to help yourself. How special was it? My first raid to complete an HQ (did it at level), it felt like the whole server joined that night to help, despite the 2hr window having to wait for a respawn. No other MMO was THAT helpful.

This has happened to me several times in LFD...Mostly during wrath but still.

As for people being willing to help they exist I am one. In fact on Sen'Jin i have made a guild so i can help newer players. I actually find it more fun than raiding.

The sad this how much the community has fallen rather than it does not exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft is really just a kill bill of games. It references a lot of other games and popular culture. And if you are talking about the game WAR I think WOW came first. The tabletop game did come before WOW though.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2012-12-24 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Thats like saying you base warcraft lore on wow alone.

Remember Theramore?
    It isn't at all what i'm saying, since wow and warcraft lore go hand in hand, well warhammer online is its own genre.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Igor Stravinsky, probably the greatest composer of symphonic music in the 20th century had this to say:
    Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal.
    There's a lot of truth to that. I don't disagree for even a minute that Blizzard borrowed/stole from what was around them at the time. The main point is they took that material from D&D, UO, EQ, Warhammer and others and made it their own.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    This has happened to me several times in LFD...Mostly during wrath but still.

As for people being willing to help they exist I am one. In fact on Sen'Jin i have made a guild so i can help newer players. I actually find it more fun than raiding.

The sad this how much the community has fallen rather than it does not exist.
    It exists in ghettos called guilds.

It rarely exists in the world itself.

I posted my experience in a game with but 80k players then, but with players who love the game and players to play it. I wasn't in the guild then, it's random players along the journey. It's a big difference. In return when I reached max level, I mentored new players in their travels, as not only are there's tools to be efficient at it, it's what a community is about.

[Moderator Note] : This entire topic about community or lack thereof is off-topic and a derailment of the thread. Get back on topic and if you must discuss this, create a separate thread for it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-24 at 07:14 PM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    I lol'd. This forum is just entertaining to read.

Contribute. Don't post spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-26 at 12:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    This is true.

He is the Manifestation of all the Warcraft haters and victims of sub-par MMOs.

To me WoW is sub-par, as it has half the features of other MMOs. That players are happy with less features, makes me wonder how can they represent what's good in gaming, when they're more busy burying their heads in the sand?

Are you sure you have WoW's best interests at heart? Or just another random MEMEME driveby, more interested in destroying the game protecting turf?

[Moderator Note] : Off-topic and thread derailment [Infracted]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-24 at 07:30 PM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Yes. WARCRAFT is a huge rip off of Warhammer, which is a huge rip off of D&D, which is a huge rip off of Tolkien, which is a rip off of Wagner.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Ring_des_Nibelungen

Very few things are "original."

Blizzard hasn't had an original ip since... uh... Lost Vikings? Maybe?

But really what's the point. It isn't like EA is any better is it? Can you really think of a game company at this point who hasn't or isn't currently ripping off someone else.

I don't know how other people treat the term ripped off. It has a lot of individual levels of meaning. So try not to get too hung up on it.

Deleted
    Wow is influenced by lots of different things. Its not fair to call it a ripoff unless it copies a game almost exactly in most aspects.

Deleted
    Yes, from the interviews I've read and the blatant similarities between warhammer and warcraft and war40k and starcraft. (Talking strictly about the universes not video games)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    To me WoW is sub-par, as it has half the features of other MMOs. That players are happy with less features, makes me wonder how can they represent what's good in gaming, when they're more busy burying their heads in the sand?

Are you sure you have WoW's best interests at heart? Or just another random MEMEME driveby, more interested in destroying the game protecting turf?
    It's even simpler than that.

I like WoW more than the other MMOs. There is no brand loyalty here.

I play what I think is the best, and at the moment, to ME (and the majority of MMORPG players) WoW is in fact the best.

Question: when you read what i wrote, did it make you angry? did your black heart BURST in rage that I think WoW is the best MMORPG?
    if so, then you should really stop coming to a WoW Fansite.

[Moderator Note]: You get one warning: Drop it. Get back on-topic. - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-24 at 07:49 PM.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

Warcraft was inspired by many fantasy worlds, I think it's silly to just say it ripped off from Warhammer when it's barely similar at this point. Even in warcraft 1 it was different, yes it had humans and orcs...but those humans and orcs weren't really like warhammer orcs and humans, and who can blame them for WC1 when they were originally planning to make a Warhammer game? Warhammer Fantasy isn't remotely unique for a fantasy world, so I think it's pathetic of Warhammer fans to hate on Warcraft ripping off anything when Warhammer is the king of it.
    X

I've definitely read/heard of the same interviews. Blizzard were contracted to make (a) GW strategy game(s). GW called it off so they changed a few bits, wrote some backstory and released it as warcraft: orcs and humans. I don't think the similarities to GW orcs and humans needs much talking about, it's kinda obvious.

If you look at the units in starcraft we have terrans (space marines) zerg (tyranids) and Protos (eldar). It's HIGHLY likely (though I don't remember this being mentioned in the interview etc (that this was based on 40K stuff that had the plug pulled). If you look at how the Protos culture is based it's all interdimensional spacefaring elves and the tech extension of their culture - it's not really THAT far away from Eldar craftworlds etc.

They've diverged significantly from the moment they left the ideas board but there is still a rough root back to GW based IP.

You can put as much "ripoff" type mentality into it as you want though. Modern RTS is based on Dune2 by Westwood Studios (which was a truely amazingly awesome game in it's time, MUCH time spent on it back in the day). Elves/Orcs/etc are based on Tolkien who drew a lot of his ideas from folk-lore etc. There's very little 100% original thought in the world at present (excluding some of the bleeding edge bits of science).

Let's give who borrowed what from who a rest shall we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    WoW got some inspiration from Warhammer, just as Warhammer got some stuff from Lord of the Rings (mainly elves and orcs/goblins) who in turn is inspired of norse mythology.
    Ripoff is a huge exaggeration.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest:

Warcraft > Warhammer, like 3 or 4 times.

And i'm not a "fanboy".