View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfwak View Post
    It basically is Warhammer. They were contracted to make RTS games for GW, but GW broke contract and left Blizzard with unfinished projects. Why do you think hydralisks look so much (or, rather, exactly) like Tyranids?

That's not to say, of course, that Warhammer is better than Warcraft. Generally, GW makes shit, and Blizzard shits gold.
    yeah, i think this is a background story i heard a long time ago also.....its wasnt a ripoff....it was just unfinished product based on Warhammer.....which was then turned into different product called Warcraft....hell they even kept the War in the name

I didn't think this was ever even in question.

Warcraft started as a Warhammer ripoff. Literally. In every way, shape, and form, Warcraft originated as an in-all-but-name clone of Warhammer. From there it evolved on it's own and grew differences over time, and the modern Warcraft universe is clearly it's own entity, but the original Warcraft was, undoubtedly, a Warhammer ripoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post

Warcraft started as a Warhammer ripoff. Literally. In every way, shape, and form, Warcraft originated as an in-all-but-name clone of Warhammer. From there it evolved on it's own and grew differences over time, and the modern Warcraft universe is clearly it's own entity, but the original Warcraft was, undoubtedly, a Warhammer ripoff.
    Pretty vaild to say it like that, I think.
    I wouldn't have started playing with sub, if it wasn't close to the Warhammer world back then. I played Warhammer table top, and loved it. WoW gave me a nice replacement. Not the same at all, but similar, and that was good enough for me. That simple.

To those saying the Zerg are a ripoff of the Tyranid, well, technically the Tyranid are nothing more then a rip off of Heinlein's Starship Trooper's, (book, not that god awful movie) yet how many people start "Warhammer ripped off Heinlein" threads? Yes, they borrowed and was influenced by what came before it. Myhtology, Tolkien, DnD, Warhammer and then Wacraft. Influence is very very different then rip-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post

based on what exactly? Humans fighting orcs? Undead? Dragons? Hmm, what genre thought of these things before warha...OH YES, Lord of the rings.

Warhammer took all the concepts of lord of the rings and spun its own universe from it, just as wow did. But warhammer started with as much as as little originality as warcraft did.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    based on what exactly? Humans fighting orcs? Undead? Dragons? Hmm, what genre thought of these things before warha...OH YES, Lord of the rings.
    Green orks with big teeth, where did those appear before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    Why are you people afraid of the eastern accounts? They are paying customers and per hour they pay more than the NA/SA/EU/Oceanic accounts do. Just because you have a perceived notion of what an Asian account holder is does not mean they do not count. As of the last official counts that listed numbers half are Eastern and half are the rest. That was at the 12M mark. During Cata and the 2M purge/exodus almost half we banned accounts, around 1/4 were non eastern account losses and the other 1/4 were eastern accounts that left but were playing D3. So it is still about half and half between eastern and the rest of the world.
    Not afraid of the eastern accounts just pointing out they fluff the numbers

Deleted
    It obviously has heavy influences from the warhammer universe, and as others have pointed out, it may actually have started out as an attempt to make a warhammer game, but I think blizzard have changed it enough and crafted their own universe fairly well, to call it a "Ripoff" would not be fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Green orks with big teeth, where did those appear before.

And lord of the rings and its characters were written in the 1930s. Are you honestly trying to say green orcs didn't exist before warhammer? That warhammer thought up the concept?
    #boycottchina

Warhammer took all the concepts of lord of the rings and spun its own universe from it, just as wow did. But warhammer started with as much as as little originality as warcraft did.
    Stylization. LOTR orcs are a far cry from anything warhammer. Both warhammer and warcraft humans had the exact same technology, but completely different to that of LOTR.

Honestly, WC1 and warhammer back in the day it is clear to say it was either as the rumour goes meant to be a warhammer RTS, or was a complete ripoff. It may have expanded from there but the original concept would look like a genuine Warhammer fantasy game to the letter if you stuck "white citadel" on it.

And lord of the rings and its characters were written in the 1930s. Are you honestly trying to say green orcs didn't exist before warhammer? That warhammer thought up the concept?
    Come on you know what I am talking about, orks and orcs have almost same physiology, they have little in common with that poor gangly wretch you posted but those two look almost same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Stylization. LOTR orcs are a far cry from anything warhammer. Both warhammer and warcraft humans had the exact same technology, but completely different to that of LOTR.

Honestly, WC1 and warhammer back in the day it is clear to say it was either as the rumour goes meant to be a warhammer RTS, or was a complete ripoff. It may have expanded from there but the original concept would look like a genuine Warhammer fantasy game to the letter if you stuck "white citadel" on it.
    Try reading whats said next time. Am I arguing that blizzard took ideas from warhammer into there own game? No, they obviously did, and had there own ideas. But Warhammer isn't the one that started this trend either, as they took concepts from other genres before warhammer and incorporated them into there genre.
    #boycottchina

Try reading whats said next time. Am I arguing that blizzard took ideas from warhammer into there own game? No, they obviously did, and had there own ideas. But Warhammer isn't the one that started this trend either, as they took concepts from other genres before warhammer and incorporated them into there genre.
    Warhammer was inspired by lotr orcs, warcraft blatantly copied them from warhammer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on you know what I am talking about, orks and orcs have almost same physiology, they have little in common with that poor gangly wretch you posted but those two look almost same.
    The fact that a company takes a concept and designs with there own take on it doesn't mean they didn't take the idea from another source. Lord of the rings is the forefront of all these fictional RTS themed games, from dungeons and dragons to warhammer to warcraft, its common knowledge everything in these genres stemmed from LOTR
    #boycottchina

Deleted

If your going to compare these with anything in LOTR, they probably come closer to trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warhammer was inspired by lotr orcs, warcraft blatantly copied them from warhammer.
    Love how to use the words inspired for one and blatantly copied for another. Orcs in all these fantasy genres came from the lord of the rings concept of orcs, so warhammer itself can be accused of copying.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Trassk did you add the green dude onto your sig? I swear he wasn't there before

LotR provided some of the base concepts and tropes (as indeed it did for all modern fantasy) but the vast majority of the original Warcraft was straight-up carbon-copied from Warhammer. This is a fact, it's impossible to deny if you know anything at all about old-school Warhammer (and old-school Warcraft), and pointless to deny given the fact that it has actually been confirmed by the original Warcraft devs.

Keep your shirt on, I'm not hating on Warcraft--I love Warcraft (and I'm actually not very fond of Warhammer), and it certainly can't be considered a Warhammer clone anymore at this state in the history of the franchises. It's as if Warcraft and Warhammer were identical twins who went on to have children with completely different people, whose children then had children with people who also had nothing in common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post

If your going to compare these with anything in LOTR, they probably come closer to trolls.
    HA, good one. Your trying to compare this

to this

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Trassk did you add the green dude onto your sig? I swear he wasn't there before
    yus did so
    #boycottchina

HA, good one. Your trying to compare this

to this
    You couldnt prove my point in a better way. Orcs are less bulky, have smaller tusks and their face is not prolonged much but thats where differences end. They even have same skin tone.