View Poll Results: Is Warcraft a "ripoff" of Warhammer?

Voters
547. This poll is closed
  • Yes

131 23.95%
  • No

416 76.05%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    many of the darker aspects aren't shown directly in WoW and are handled more in the books, like how Deathwing's plans for his sisters was to repeatedly rape them to breed a "master race".
    How is that "dark?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    How is that "dark?"
    I don't want to see what your definition of dark is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    People will think of anything to shine a negative shadow into the light, Warcraft inspired by Warhammer of course, A Ripoff never. Its not Blizzard's fault Warcraft turned out more popular.

Its like saying the Samsung Galaxy is a iPhone ripoff, just cause the Galaxy is popular?
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    People will think of anything to shine a negative shadow into the light, Warcraft inspired by Warhammer of course, A Ripoff never. Its not Blizzard's fault Warcraft turned out more popular.

Its like saying the Samsung Galaxy is a iPhone ripoff, just cause the Galaxy is popular?
    Actually, I once read an article which tagged Warhammer to be the most popular "gaming" hobby in the world followed by Magic the Gathering. On either front, I'd easily say Warhammer is actually more "popular" by the numbers world wide than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I once read an article which tagged Warhammer to be the most popular "gaming" hobby in the world followed by Magic the Gathering. On either front, I'd easily say Warhammer is actually more "popular" by the numbers world wide than WoW.
    How old is the article? Do you have a link good sir ??
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rip-off

Definition #2

" Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else."

Based off of that definition, Warcraft ripped-off Warhammer. It did eventually grow into it's own "being".

There is nothing wrong with this, it's how things are done.

people like to sugar coat it and say it was inspired by WH

but the http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inspired says

inspired [ɪnˈspaɪəd]
    adj
    1. aroused or guided by or as if aroused or guided by divine inspiration an inspired performance she was like one inspired
    2. extremely accurate or apt but based on intuition rather than knowledge or logical deduction an inspired guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post

inspired [ɪnˈspaɪəd]
    adj
    1. aroused or guided by or as if aroused or guided by divine inspiration an inspired performance she was like one inspired
    2. extremely accurate or apt but based on intuition rather than knowledge or logical deduction an inspired guess
    Everything is inspired by something, You can't say people think of things in there head out of the blue!
    Artists, Writers, Designers all need something to get the creative juices going, as once you have a base you build on that.
    if it was truly a rip off, I'm pretty sure Games Workshop would of done something years ago.

How old is the article? Do you have a link good sir ??
    I know it was within the last 3 years but it was in an actual publication I was thumbing through at a local gaming store. I've tried poking around on google to find the number but cant. That being said, the last est which seems to still hold is that there are currently around 6 million Magic the Gathering players world wide in over 70 countries. Now, I remember that est also being in the article which said that this was based on DCI numbers and something else but that there was honestly no way of getting more precise numbers because of of how many people play magic who never try to enter an actual event in their time with the game.

There's also the fact that GW has been around since the 70's and Warhammer is over 25 years old now; MtG hits 20 next year too actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post

inspired [ɪnˈspaɪəd]
    adj
    From the exact same page you linked;

inspired
    adjective
    1. brilliant, wonderful, impressive, exciting, outstanding, thrilling, memorable, dazzling, enthralling, superlative, of genius She produced an inspired performance.
    2. stimulated, possessed, aroused, uplifted, exhilarated, stirred up, enthused, exalted, elated, galvanized Garcia played like a man inspired.
    3. (with by) based on, derived from, built around, constructed around The book was inspired by a real person.

Please dont cherry pick your definitions. The first two examples represent radically different interpretations of the word.

God, such a stupid thing to argue about, we are all adults here, we know what bloody words mean.

I know it was within the last 3 years but it was in an actual publication I was thumbing through at a local gaming store. I've tried poking around on google to find the number but cant. That being said, the last est which seems to still hold is that there are currently around 6 million Magic the Gathering players world wide in over 70 countries. Now, I remember that est also being in the article which said that this was based on DCI numbers and something else but that there was honestly no way of getting more precise numbers because of of how many people play magic who never try to enter an actual event in their time with the game.

There's also the fact that GW has been around since the 70's and Warhammer is over 25 years old now; MtG hits 20 next year too actually.
    It's also much harder to quantitatively define what constitutes a 'subscriber' to Magic or Warhammer. Does owning one of the models/decks mean you are a player even if you haven't played in years? It's contentious to say the least, whereas it is very simple to see the active number of players of WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    From the exact same page you linked;

inspired
    adjective
    1. brilliant, wonderful, impressive, exciting, outstanding, thrilling, memorable, dazzling, enthralling, superlative, of genius She produced an inspired performance.
    2. stimulated, possessed, aroused, uplifted, exhilarated, stirred up, enthused, exalted, elated, galvanized Garcia played like a man inspired.
    3. (with by) based on, derived from, built around, constructed around The book was inspired by a real person.

Please dont cherry pick your definitions. The first two examples represent radically different interpretations of the word.

God, such a stupid thing to argue about, we are all adults here, we know what bloody words mean.
    http://youtu.be/j4XT-l-_3y0
    Excuse me... some of us are from America.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm talking video games in general, not trading card game or full scale dice roll combat (Not sure what its called). As I know Magic & Warhammer are huge for those..
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-12-26 at 05:52 AM.

I'm talking video games in general, not trading card game or full scale dice roll combat (Not sure what its called). As I know Magic & Warhammer are huge for those..
    Even then I don't know. That's actually a really hard and tall order to keep up with for a lot of PC games. What we do know is this...
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dawn-...s-105857.shtml
    So DWII sold 4 million Copies in it's first two weeks. That's pretty damn impressive for a PC RTS. Then you have to consider it was 3 years ago, steam, blah blah blah, and that it's only 1 Warhammer title when there have been many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    pretty much this. I can never find myself intresting in warhammer, never could be arsed with its story or characters or backdrop, I also found some races to be far to cartoony to be taken seriously.
    You mean not cartoony enough. The biggest difference between WC and WH is the perpetual doom in WH, everyone is evil everyone is dammed. And make that 10xs more obvious in 40k. Everything GW touches goes though the Micheal Moorcock filter of doom.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    considering the WH orks are basically a race of frat boys, the dark elves are stereotypically starscream evil, and the "good" humans are lawful stupid, yeah i'd say WH:F is more cartoony then WoW.

WH:40K even more so what with the entire universe being grimdark to the level it comes off more as black humor with no punch-line.
    Actually you have to be use to British cultural stereotypes.

Orcs are based on the typical thuggish cockney criminal stereotype. It's like the whole of the East End of London got curse by David Banner.
    The High Elves are the upper Class, and the Dark Elves are the dark underbelly of the 1%.
    Chaos are a mix of Scottish and Welsh and America.
    Skavins are french.
    Undead are from eastern Europe and North Africa.
    Humans are whats left in the Europe. And they are not Lawful Stupid They are Xenophobic and racists.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 11:14 PM ----------

Actually Both Blizzard and Games Workshop are the top companies in the respected fields. Blizzard has 4 of the most successful video games in history, and Games Workshop has 3 of the most popular table top games in the world. Both companies make money hand over fist, and they are not in direct competition. The reason there has never been a laws suit from either company is the origin of both games is D&D and Tolkien. Warcraft/Starcraft has major influences based on GW's properties, but GW has copied Blizzard as well.

What I find funny is the 40k License is up for grabs right now because THQ is going away, I would find it hilarious if Activision Blizzard acquired it. Just imagine a Dawn of War done by the SC team.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    What I find funny is the 40k License is up for grabs right now because THQ is going away, I would find it hilarious if Activision Blizzard acquired it. Just imagine a Dawn of War done by the SC team.
    As long as they wouldnt let Metzen touch it...

Even then I don't know. That's actually a really hard and tall order to keep up with for a lot of PC games. What we do know is this...
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dawn-...s-105857.shtml
    So DWII sold 4 million Copies in it's first two weeks. That's pretty damn impressive for a PC RTS. Then you have to consider it was 3 years ago, steam, blah blah blah, and that it's only 1 Warhammer title when there have been many.
    I am pretty sure SC2 sold more than that and is more popular in the genre too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    As long as they wouldnt let Metzen touch it...
    Hey even though he can't keep lore straight he is a good story teller.

We need to figure out who Tolkien lifted the idea for Orcs and other high fantasy concepts so we can create a new thread that gets Warcraft, WH AND LotRO fanbois all riled up. This flavor of thread has gotten boring

In the meantime, I'll add fuel to the fire by saying that WoW is far, far more indebted to the original RTS games as well as EQ than it does to the WH universe in terms of design and direction.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    We need to figure out who Tolkien lifted the idea for Orcs and other high fantasy concepts so we can create a new thread that gets Warcraft, WH AND LotRO fanbois all riled up. This flavor of thread has gotten boring

In the meantime, I'll add fuel to the fire by saying that WoW is far, far more indebted to the original RTS games as well as EQ than it does to the WH universe in terms of design and direction.
    Tolkien took the lore of Hobgoblins to describe Orcs, he used several terms to describe them (Hob-goblin, Orc, Goblin, uruk, uruk-hai) but then he had just as many creation myths for them as well. Orc was the Hobbit name for the creature

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post

Well not really as WOW was just the mmo version of Warcraft the RTS game and the entire concept of Warcraft the RTS game was to be a computerized version of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. Ergo , ipso facto , Vis-a-vis both design and direction are based entirely from Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Games Workshop.

*pours more petrol*

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Hey even though he can't keep lore straight he is a good story teller.
    Knowing him, it would end by imperium saving whole galaxy and Horus being redeemed.