Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Macros? Are they mandatory?

Just got my first month and game copy from Raptr <3. Been doing some reading about classes and rotations ...(Playing a Rogue and a Mage right now) and all these guys say I need to use these crazy macros or something? Like, bind 4 abilities to one macro and use that in a rotation???

Is that necessary? Are rotations in this game really that complex?
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Well, if I didn't use macros on my rogue I would go from using 5 buttons in my standard rotation to 9. Just for standard rotation, does not include buffs or AoE.

Mandantory? No, not if you can handle a 9 button rotation. The thing is, those abilities are more like, if this is off CD, use this, if not then use this, unless it's on CD too, then use this, unless moving then use this. 4 abilites, one macro, 3 less things to keep track of. Rather than having to watch that CD and press a different button when moving, you just put it in one button and let it go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, if I didn't use macros on my rogue I would go from using 5 buttons in my standard rotation to 9. Just for standard rotation, does not include buffs or AoE.

Mandantory? No, not if you can handle a 9 button rotation. The thing is, those abilities are more like, if this is off CD, use this, if not then use this, unless it's on CD too, then use this, unless moving then use this. 4 abilites, one macro, 3 less things to keep track of. Rather than having to watch that CD and press a different button when moving, you just put it in one button and let it go.
    Holy crap o_o;; why so complicated?

I'm terrible with macros and stuff. If/when I get to 60 I'll need to research this further... this game has way too many damn abilities!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    Just got my first month and game copy from Raptr <3. Been doing some reading about classes and rotations ...(Playing a Rogue and a Mage right now) and all these guys say I need to use these crazy macros or something? Like, bind 4 abilities to one macro and use that in a rotation???

Is that necessary? Are rotations in this game really that complex?
    Agree with Lathais. You can simply use macros to save yourself the trouble of binding Alt+1, Shift+2, etc.

#show spellname
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Temp Buff 1 (10 sec cooldown)
    cast Ability 1 (melee, 6 sec cooldown
    cast Ability 2 (melee, no cooldown)
    cast Ability 3 (ranged attack, only activates if out of melee range)

You just tied 4 abilities into a single key.

You can cascade abilities with cooldowns, using the longest cooldown first, second longest second, etc. You can also use generic conditionals, such as toggle-able abilities or ranged attack if out of melee range. No matter what you do, you'll have to press your hotkey for each ability in the chain.

Some builds can rely on 3 or 4 macros, but they're generally not nearly as powerful/efficient as using 6 or 8 buttons. Lower DPS is the price you'll pay for trying to jam as many abilities as possible into a single keybind.

I'm terrible with macros and stuff. If/when I get to 60 I'll need to research this further... this game has way too many damn abilities!!! lol
    This game has lots of "oh shit" abilities. They put a lot of utility abilities (situational) abilities. Cabalist and tanks have it the worst.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Macros in rift are really simple.

/cast "1st ability
    /cast "2nd ability"
    and so on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Macros in rift are really simple.

/cast "1st ability
    /cast "2nd ability"
    and so on.
    RIFT macros are different to WoW's they normally start like this..
    #show (spell name)
    suppressmacrofailures (to stop chat and screen spam, E.G "that spell is not ready yet")
    cast (ability with the longest CD)
    cast (shorter CD)
    cast (no CD)

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting...definitely going to take some getting used to...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    RIFT macros are different to WoW's they normally start like this..
    #show (spell name)
    suppressmacrofailures (to stop chat and screen spam, E.G "that spell is not ready yet")
    cast (ability with the longest CD)
    cast (shorter CD)
    cast (no CD)

/cast is a habit it still works in rift. Yes I wasn't going into the complete nitty gritty of details but the macros in rift are still simple in essence

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting...definitely going to take some getting used to...
    It's a great place to get a little bit of macro experience for sure. They are fairly simple and a lot of sites have them just listed out like here so you can copy/paste them in.

It's definitely not needed in any game, but the ability to create functional macros has the potential to increase you capabilities in any game where they are available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's a great place to get a little bit of macro experience for sure. They are fairly simple and a lot of sites have them just listed out like here so you can copy/paste them in.

It's definitely not needed in any game, but the ability to create functional macros has the potential to increase you capabilities in any game where they are available.
    Does it make the rotation more complicated, though? Like, for example, in WoW, I know my priorities and my muscle-memory makes it happen ya know? It seems odd to press the same button multiple times at different points in a rotation... I dunno, I guess I'm just scared of change lol

I have never used macros in Rift (except for a few /target macros), and I did just fine. Of course, I just did solo questing and some 5-mans (normal and a few experts), along with rifts and invasions. Not sure about how good that would be when it comes to raiding. Also never used any macros in WoW or any other game. I just map 1-=, q-[, a-' for my abilities, while z-/ is my less used things (mostly professions), while the buffs get the num pad.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does it make the rotation more complicated, though? Like, for example, in WoW, I know my priorities and my muscle-memory makes it happen ya know? It seems odd to press the same button multiple times at different points in a rotation... I dunno, I guess I'm just scared of change lol
    WoW has cast sequence macros, which are much more complex to macro out than what I've seen here. My macro experience only extends to WoW, as I'm putting it off in Rift until I'm 60.

In wow, depending on the rotation and whether it was optimal, you could have one button go through an entire rotation, setting specific times for the macro to reset itself. These are used because WoW macros won't run down a list of spells and jump past ones on cooldown. It hits the first spell, then fails.

From what I'm seeing people type out, Rift will skip past the spell on cooldown and go down the list. This makes writing their macros, and thus the ability to bind multiple things to one button much easier. Can someone with more knowledge of the use in this game confirm if that is the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, please elaborate. For WoW, I use simple macros, like popping a trinket with my big dps cooldowns and stuff. I'll most likely wait til 60 to really make some. Now I just need to decide what I want to play ... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    WoW has cast sequence macros, which are much more complex to macro out than what I've seen here. My macro experience only extends to WoW, as I'm putting it off in Rift until I'm 60.

In wow, depending on the rotation and whether it was optimal, you could have one button go through an entire rotation, setting specific times for the macro to reset itself. These are used because WoW macros won't run down a list of spells and jump past ones on cooldown. It hits the first spell, then fails.

From what I'm seeing people type out, Rift will skip past the spell on cooldown and go down the list. This makes writing their macros, and thus the ability to bind multiple things to one button much easier. Can someone with more knowledge of the use in this game confirm if that is the case?
    That's right. Rift macros follow a sequence until they find an ability that meets conditions (off cooldown, within range, target = friend, etc)

There are times particular abilities aren't efficient to macro. Some temp buffs (+50% damage modifier on next cast) are reserved for specific abilities and are best left by themselves on a separate key.

Honestly, just read the Rift forums if you're concerned (not you Kitty, you've got it figured out). You can copy paste everything and read guides on what's best for a particular spec.

Just as a real example, here's one of the macros for a particular Cleric build:

ST spammer:
    #show Strike of Judgment
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Combined Effort (buff, 15 second cooldown)
    cast Strike of Judgment (melee, no cooldown)
    cast Bolt of Radiance (ranged, 8 second cooldown)

You run up to a mob, press 1. You're buffed. (CE)
    press 1 - you swing your weapon (SoJ)
    You run away from the mob
    15 seconds later, you press 1. You're rebuffed. (CE)
    press 1 - you cast Bolt of Radiance at your prior mob.
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2012-12-21 at 08:48 PM.

No, it makes the rotation a heck of a lot easier. Basically, think of a macro as a priority system.

Here is the simple Rogue MM/Rng Priority System.

cast Splinter Shot(No Cast time if talented/no CD) if bleed is not on target - This goes on it's own button since it has No CD but must be cast first. If place at top of macro, nothing else would ever fire.

If you have 5 combo points on target cast Rapid Fire Shot(Has a CD) if it is up
    If you have 5 combo points on target and Rapid Fire Shot is not available cast Quick Reload(Has 30s CD, resets CDs for all other MM abilities) if available
    If you have 5 combo points on target and Rapid Fire Shot and Quick Reload are on CD, cast Hasted Shot
    This whole part here happens with one simple macro, simplifying the rotation, not making it more complicated.

Splinter Shot on target? Less than 5 Combo points? Cast Shadow Fire if off CD
    Splinter Shot on target? Less than 5 Combo points? Shadow Fire on CD? Cast Empowered Shot if off CD
    Splinter Shot on target? Less than 5 Combo points? Shadow Fire on CD? Empowered Shot on CD? Cast Quick/Swift Shot(can't remember which right now, at work)
    - this whole part here is again one simple macro. 1 button instead of 3, simplyfying rotation.

So that's the rotation and you see where the macros are before you actually macro. If you have macroed, rotation looks like this.

Splinter Shot not up or <1s remaining, Splinter Shot.
    Spam builder macro until 5 combo points
    Hit finisher macro

Much simpler with the macros, which you can copy paste from a guide on the official forums.

Not really mandatory. I don't use very many macros myself. But macros can be very useful for off GCD abilities.

Have a look at the sticky "Quickstart guide", it also contains a macro chrash course

It's easier to just find some and copy/paste also.

For a lot of specs macros can really make life a lot easier, especially DPS rotations that would otherwise require many more bindings.
    Generally healing specs and to a lesser extent tanking specs will not use macros as widely since their rotations or priority orders are not fixed.