Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Future professions in WoW

I was thinking, is there any other primary profession that Blizzard could come up with in future expansions? Is there even anything left? lol. I haven't looked anything up, but I figured you people are pretty smart and would be able to come up with something pretty cool.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    well, I can think of some

for gathering professions, how about Scavenging? This was in Warhammer Online. Its basically skinning except on humanoids. Instead of getting meats and skins you get enchanting and minor BS/Eng mats. This was great fun in Warhammer because you could scavenge PvP enemies you killed, sort of like the old undead cannibalise taunt.

for crafting, how about some sort of "Runecrafting" profession. You make runes that can be placed on armor pieces that have effects. Not stat boosts like enchanting, but more like minor procs and effects. Also, runes that you place in the environment to have some effect, like a type of consumable. You could also make prepare Explosive Runes!!!!! (If you are a DnD nerd or read OoTS, +1 to you!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wish that BS and LW as well as tailors could get a disenchanting like skill to say maybe geta few metal scraps that can then be turned into a fresh bar LW can get "leather scraps" and then tailors maybe "tattered thread" that they then use.

Deleted
    Pet breeding would be a cool one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather that they fixed the existing professions rather than adding new ones.

The only new one I would like to see is Scavenging or Salvaging, a way to farm cloth and whatnot from certain mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Fixing the old professions, removing the dependancy on old, outdated and never available mats would be my top priority. Old ores could be useful in the sense that they can craft everything up to WOTLK level, or maybe even Cata level. This way people could know that anything they post, might sell in terms of old ores and those leveling BS or engineering or JC could be sure that there will always be mats.

Fishing should be given nets at a certain level. 1 or 2 casts and you'd fish out an entire school, because let's face it...not that many are fishing these days, and a net making it faster would probably give people more incentive to do it.

Herbalism was fixed so that below level 100, you can pick all herbs requiring up to 100 skill. At level 1 you can pick mageroyal, for example. Very good change that makes it a bit less hacky to keep herbalism up with your alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Fixing the old professions, removing the dependancy on old, outdated and never available mats would be my top priority. Old ores could be useful in the sense that they can craft everything up to WOTLK level, or maybe even Cata level. This way people could know that anything they post, might sell in terms of old ores and those leveling BS or engineering or JC could be sure that there will always be mats.

Fishing should be given nets at a certain level. 1 or 2 casts and you'd fish out an entire school, because let's face it...not that many are fishing these days, and a net making it faster would probably give people more incentive to do it.

Herbalism was fixed so that below level 100, you can pick all herbs requiring up to 100 skill. At level 1 you can pick mageroyal, for example. Very good change that makes it a bit less hacky to keep herbalism up with your alts.
    The dependency on old mats can be easily solved by introducing mat traders similar to ink traders.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I would rather that they fixed the existing professions rather than adding new ones.

The only new one I would like to see is Scavenging or Salvaging, a way to farm cloth and whatnot from certain mobs.
    but that is already somewhat incorporated into Tailoring ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    but that is already somewhat incorporated into Tailoring ....
    Meh. I don't like the WoW Profession system anyway. Rift had a superior design.

The dependency on old mats can be easily solved by introducing mat traders similar to ink traders.
    I actually was shocked to see this wasn't implemented already actually
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Deleted
    I like the dependency on old mats becayse it requires people to learn the game and it gives those who are leveling a chance to make money. Making things easier just makes it blander and it all merges into a pile of easystreet.

Deleted
    They should make the professions more meaningful and give you some choices. Like the different leatherworking specializations there used to be... And make some more hard to get recipes, perhaps not just random drops, but something fun and challenging to get. It qould also be awesome if the added some profession based quest chains.
    But there really isn't any niche left for a primary profession as i see it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellum View Post
    They should make the professions more meaningful and give you some choices. Like the different leatherworking specializations there used to be... And make some more hard to get recipes, perhaps not just random drops, but something fun and challenging to get. It qould also be awesome if the added some profession based quest chains.
    But there really isn't any niche left for a primary profession as i see it...
    Agree. Professions used to be more interesting when everyone didnt get every recipe. If everyone is the same then it all becomes mediocre. Gettin recipes by farming or raiding lbsr for the pire pot recipe used to add a lot to the game.

I dont think they will bother with new professions as the game has pretty much run its course in 8 years and its time for a new enhine and game. I still expect there to be 2 more expansions and then its down to activision how much they want to flog this cash cow. It shows what a great game it was 8 years ago but it has only moved on marginally since then imo.

Deleted
    Old professions need a huge change. Some of them are a total nightmare to level, and a lot of the mats are being sold for ridiculous prices because players know they are a bottleneck. I spent about 10k on my server getting LW to max, the old world skins are like 300g a stack on my server and you need a lot to level up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    I like the dependency on old mats becayse it requires people to learn the game and it gives those who are leveling a chance to make money. Making things easier just makes it blander and it all merges into a pile of easystreet.
    This really doesn't wash. Having to go back and farm from content you have most likely already done does not help you 'learn the game', and making money with professions while leveling is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchee View Post
    for crafting, how about some sort of "Runecrafting" profession. You make runes that can be placed on armor pieces that have effects. Not stat boosts like enchanting, but more like minor procs and effects. Also, runes that you place in the environment to have some effect, like a type of consumable. You could also make prepare Explosive Runes!!!!! (If you are a DnD nerd or read OoTS, +1 to you!)
    runecrafting....runescape.....running back n forth for hours on end....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They can add herding and orchards to farming. Begging could be a profession. It should only works on NPCs, so it is something you would mostly do in cities or with friendlies. It could be a way for pacifists to level. Recyclers or tinkers could reduce gear into its material components.

Deleted
    This really doesn't wash. Having to go back and farm from content you have most likely already done does not help you 'learn the game', and making money with professions while leveling is laughable.
    It helps you understand where mats come from and good places to farm them.

I always manage to make reasonable money whilst leveling based on my knowledge of professions and what sells. The market supplying other people leveling professions is pretty lucrative.

So wrong on both counts i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    It helps you understand where mats come from and good places to farm them.

I always manage to make reasonable money whilst leveling based on my knowledge of professions and what sells. The market supplying other people leveling professions is pretty lucrative.

So wrong on both counts i'm afraid.
    The bold makes no sense. Also, your following statement provides nothing to the conversation. At what point are you "making money" by leveling blacksmithing, leatherworking, jewelcrafting, inscription, or engineering from 300-350? The only crafting I know of that sells what so ever in that period is Netherweave bags. Which is probably the only thing that actually sells for any profession from 300-500 if we are talking about the "leveling" process. Which the term "leveling" is a huge key focus here.

While it is server dependant of course, I'm not aware of anything beyond Netherweave, Frostweave, and Embersilk bags which "sell" reliably on the AH. This is the point that I feel he or at least I would make. So as far as "crafting" professions go, it's honestly just a waste of gold at this point. Furthermore, since they made the change form TBC to Wrath, there hasn't been much of a point to having a crafting profession to those not min maxing as everything has changed to BoE.

Deleted
    Ok lets try this again. The objection is against why you need old materials and why they are relevant.
    I think its a good thing because it keeps old zones active. If people didnt need old materials then nobody would farm them.
    It increases your knowledge of the game about what to find where, who drops what and how hard it is to get certain items. That knowledge built up over expansions gives certain players an edge as they use their experience to work out the most efficient way of gathering mats.
    Old world mats are importnat for leveling players to sell on the ah to those leveling professions. If there was not an active market in these mats because they were needed for professions then they would be unlikely to sell in most cases.
    A person with good knowledge of leveling a profession can match that up with theur knowledge of what to farm and where to make the most money. It cna be the difference between raching an important stage like epic flight with tens of thousands of gold or just a few. Levelers need this source of income and for mats to be relevant otherwise they would not sell. It is a lucrative and important market. There are additional markets for twinks and heirlooms.
    It is possible to farm these mats, gain experience and make gold at the same time.
    According to you the above is irrelevant and adds nothing, but I cant help you with that. I play the game as it is and has developed. The alternative is only to need one herb and one ore and then professions would be even more easy street and dumbed down than they already are.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2012-12-25 at 12:55 AM.