Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Tol'Vir Arch Grind - The Scepter of Azj'Aqir

Hello everyone,

So i was just curious how many solves roughly did it take you to finally get the Bug Mount?

I feel like I've been doing this for endless days...Flying around Kalimdor doing mostly Fossil/NE/Troll sites to proc the Tol'Vir ones, and unfortunatley I've already discovered 3 rares so far for Tol'Vir and it's been rumored that it takes longer and longer before you discover a rare with Tol'Vir.

Anyone have any advice? I heard you can do something with Pandaren artifacts and swap them for Tol'Vir ones? Is this true?

15+ Year Old Account
    If you complete a pandaria common artifact you can cash it in for the equivalent of 1 survey of tol'vir fragments, not a great exchange rate but better then just vendoring a grey item.

114 I believe. I did it shortly after they made Arch easy in Cata by increasing the chance to get a Tolvir spawnrate if you did the solves for other races.

114 is easy compared to screenshots of people having 300+ solves and no mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrida View Post
    Anyone have any advice? I heard you can do something with Pandaren artifacts and swap them for Tol'Vir ones? Is this true?
    You can "box" pandaren and mogu artifacts (Except for pristine ones, they start a quest), and once you have exalted rep with the lorewalkers and 600 archaeology (Use a guide for the rep, it's about an hour of flying around Pandaria), you can hand in boxed artifacts for a bag/box of Tol'vir fragments, you get about 1 dig's worth of fragments for each boxed artifact you hand in.

I'm not sure if roaming Kalimdor is still faster or if boxing Pandaria items and trading them in is the fastest, Pandaren digsites are closer together and Tol'vir has a bad spawnrate for digsites, but i don't have exact numbers...

I wouldn't reccommend crating Pandarian artifacts for Tol'vir. It may seem quicker, but one entire pandaria digsite = 1 artifact crate = 5 to 9 Tol'vir fragments, the equivalent of digging only once at an actual Tol'vir site. Also you miss out on the vendor trash, which does add up quickly if you're doing a lot of solves. I've made quite a bit of coin from the junk.

I'm over 200 Tol'vir solves and haven't seen the Scepter yet. So far I've solved Scarab Pendant, Ring, Staff of Ammunae (which is apparently also really rare, go figure I get that piece of crap /sob) and the Crawling Claw.

Random is random. Some poor WoWhead commenters are well over 600 solves and STILL haven't seen the Scepter, and some lucky punks got it on their very first solve. The addon Rarity lists the average around 500 or so solves, so..

Just keep swimming digging...

Got it on my first rare Tol'vir solve. It was all I wanted for my transmog of AQ40 hunter strikers garb.

got it at 140 think it was my 4th rare from tol'vir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambulatory Cube View Post
    I wouldn't reccommend crating Pandarian artifacts for Tol'vir. It may seem quicker, but one entire pandaria digsite = 1 artifact crate = 5 to 9 Tol'vir fragments, the equivalent of digging only once at an actual Tol'vir site. Also you miss out on the vendor trash, which does add up quickly if you're doing a lot of solves. I've made quite a bit of coin from the junk.

I'm over 200 Tol'vir solves and haven't seen the Scepter yet. So far I've solved Scarab Pendant, Ring, Staff of Ammunae (which is apparently also really rare, go figure I get that piece of crap /sob) and the Crawling Claw.

Random is random. Some poor WoWhead commenters are well over 600 solves and STILL haven't seen the Scepter, and some lucky punks got it on their very first solve. The addon Rarity lists the average around 500 or so solves, so..

Just keep swimming digging...
    There are a TON of acheivements related to panda archaeology. I got my scepter trying to get 20 of each and turning everything into tolvir. It may seems small exchange rate, but then you have to figure that a tolvir dig is a chance on a HUUUGE continent, and you can go for quite some time without getting luck of getting a tolvir dig. Meanwhile Panda is much smaller than Kalimdor, has a ton of digs close to each other and an item to teleport yourself to a far away digsite even. The rate at which you can get artifacts is much much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

It was my only Tol'vir rare, and probally the 10th artifact for them I solved?

Did the panda archeology and turned all the regular artifacts into crates and exchanged them for tol'virs. I hated cruising Kalimdor trying to get tol'vir sites, so it was a good solution for me. Especially since I was a lucky sod and got the scepter doing that. Id take doing pandaria sites and turning in crates over endless night elf digsites all over the continent any day.

I am around 350 and haven't gotten it yet. All I really have are the two common epics (ring and pendant), and the crawling claw. I pretty much lost all will to grind it, at least for now. I am sure I'll get back to it someday.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromtar View Post
    If you complete a pandaria common artifact you can cash it in for the equivalent of 1 survey of tol'vir fragments, not a great exchange rate but better then just vendoring a grey item.
    Have to disagree here, I'd rather take 50-200 gold from the vendor then 3-7 tol'vir fragments from a turn in, having to turn in every single last one manually on top of that.

If you are trying to complete the achievements, then you should be digging in Pandaria. Completing all Pristine Mogu and Pandaren pieces along with 20 solves of each trash is gonna take a loooong time. So you can complete both achievements and get a chance at your Tol'vir mount at the same time!

If you just want the mount, then it probably is better to just be on Kalimdor and use whatever means of fast transportation you can. I'm a mage, so it really helps =D

Also, Archaelogy is not a good source of money... With a fraction of the time you spend doing these digs, you can shuffle the AH for 10 times that gold. So don't really take this into account.

If you could convert panderean fragments to Tol'vir fragments on a 1:1 ratio, it would definitely be worth just farming panderia for rare archaeology stuff but not so much with the current system. Assuming Tol'vir is the only major dig type you're working on in Kalimdor, it'd probably be better to farm Kalimdor for Tol'vir stuff. Just boils down to which place you hate least.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Have to disagree here, I'd rather take 50-200 gold from the vendor then 3-7 tol'vir fragments from a turn in, having to turn in every single last one manually on top of that.
    50-200 is a hell of an exaggeration.

I've farmed this both ways and in Kalimdor the junk is often worth less than 10g.

Pandaria is MUCH faster if you're specifically trying to farm Tol'vir fragments. The dig sites are often very very close together and on top of that they're typically 1/4th the size of Kalimdor sites reducing surveying time by insane amounts.

The junk solves are not even remotely close to as valuable as a couple people in this thread have made them out to be, and Kalimdor has absolutely fucking terrible amounts of travel time just collecting useless and practically worthless solves for races you don't need.

Pandaria >>>>>>>>>>> Kalimdor for farming Tol'vir.

i got my mount when i was chasing the title "Seeker of knowledge" :P mount just came in with the package you can say XD. not sure how many tolv solves will need to check later
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    50-200 is a hell of an exaggeration.

I've farmed this both ways and in Kalimdor the junk is often worth less than 10g.

Pandaria is MUCH faster if you're specifically trying to farm Tol'vir fragments. The dig sites are often very very close together and on top of that they're typically 1/4th the size of Kalimdor sites reducing surveying time by insane amounts.

The junk solves are not even remotely close to as valuable as a couple people in this thread have made them out to be, and Kalimdor has absolutely fucking terrible amounts of travel time just collecting useless and practically worthless solves for races you don't need.

Pandaria >>>>>>>>>>> Kalimdor for farming Tol'vir.
    Either you have very bad luck or I have very good luck. I made thousands of golds in a few hours of archaeology. There are loads of expensive greyes that sell for an awfull lot. Especially since they upped the ammount of fragments you get and being able to dig 6 times at a site.

The new ones on the other hand are completely worthless trash. Afterall they couldn't have archaeology giving any kind of money, that would be insane now that it's an outdated Cataclysm profession. I'd rather take vendor trash then 3-9 tol'vir fragments.

For some reason your post made me really, really angry. You just became the person I hate most on this forum.

Ah I forgot about the 'cheevs. I suppose that would be good incentive to favour Pandaria over Kalimdor if you're into collecting worthless points.

Also, I never thought about how nice a change of scenery would be. I know I'm getting real sick of the look of Kalimdor in general. I reckon I'll give Pandaria digging one more chance...

Edit: Scepter finally popped for me; 236th solve!
    I farmed the past two days in Pandaria to give it a shot. It did feel somewhat faster simply by way of not having bad strings of RNG giving me Night Elf/Fossil sites all the time, but I'd wager the accumulation of fragments/solves is still roughly the same as digging on Kalimdor. Can't say for certain, I didn't keep tabs on time spent vs. yield. Keystones have the same chance to drop from the crates of fragments as they would digging actual sites, too, so that's another plus.
    Last edited by Ambulatory Cube; 2012-12-28 at 10:13 AM.

Sceptre took only 4 solves for me, and a rare before that, and one just after. I guess I was very lucky with it. All you can do is keep going until you find it I guess.

So did they change something in 5.1? Because last time I solved a Pandaria artifact, it was worth 1g. Every single one of them was worth 1g. Not worth vendoring in the least imo.