Poll: Was I Wrong?

Thread: Was this wrong?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Was this wrong?

I'm a scribe who makes most of his gold from selling Darkmoon Trinkets. Last night I noticed a guildy spamming trade trying to sell his Relic of Yu'Long. After about 2 hours of advertising Trade Chat, he apparently gives up and asks if anybody wants to buy it for 6k (in guild chat) I immediately take advantage of this and buy it from the guy, then turn around and sell it for over double what I paid him.

However now I'm feeling a little guilty because I feel like I took advantage of a guildy... The guild isn't very tight knit because there's over 60 people on at all times (even in the AM), but I still feel bad. Was I wrong to take advantage of a guildy, or is it fine because he got what he asked for anyways; business is business?

10+ Year Old Account
    Business is business. He couldn't sell it, he got rid of it with a quick buck, you sold it for more. Meh.

Deleted
    He's willing to sell for 6 k, what you do with it is your business.

There is no right or wrong, those things are subjective. Some people will say it was wrong, others will say it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Business is business. He couldn't sell it, he got rid of it with a quick buck, you sold it for more. Meh.
    Time is money friend! Taking advantage of low prices is smart, not immoral.

He made the offer, so nothing you did was wrong. Only if you convinced him to sell it to you for 6k, would you have taken advantage of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Taking advantage of your guildmates is immoral.

Unless you don't care about helping our your guildmates, in which case why are you in that guild?

For the guild level perks, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    He made the offer, so nothing you did was wrong. Only if you convinced him to sell it to you for 6k, would you have taken advantage of him.
    I think we are obligated to help people that we care about, which includes correting ignorance about the worth of in-game items.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i guess his time was only worth 3k an hour xD

i hear the auction house is amazeing it advertises for you and you dont ahve to do shit ....no it isnt wrong nor is buying out really really cheap items on the ah then gettingt hat whisper "my add on messed up" welp that sucks dont use an addon to post things you laze ass....snipeing the neutral ah is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could always toss him a couple k gold and tell him you resold it and split the profits with him. Still made some gold, you look super good, and the guildmate is happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post

Unless you don't care about helping our your guildmates, in which case why are you in that guild?

I think we are obligated to help people that we care about, which includes correting ignorance about the worth of in-game items.
    Einstein said it best...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    ~ Albert Einstein
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No it wasn't wrong, I came across someone selling the Sulfuron Hammer for 6K as he needed gold, i bought it and and resold it two weeks later for 16k, He asked for 6K, he knew it was lower that it's selling price but needed gold and that was the only way

Only difference is i sent the guy 5K after, I'm not saying you should send him more, But it's entirely upto you, It would only have been wrong if he didn't know what it was worth and you offered him 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Unless he was selling it cheap to a guildy like ya know most people do in guilds?

If he was just selling for the sake of a quick sale then i would say fair play. If he was selling in on cheap to a guildy then pretty douchey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll send him another 1-2k gold. Thanks for everybody's input.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong, it was his choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you feel so bad just send him some gold and tell him it's a Christmas present :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it was immoral. I don't think he took advantage of anyone. Dude got rid of his relic and made 6k, and the one who bought it made a little profit.

How do you know anyone else buying it in trade, even off the AH, wouldn't resell it for more? Once it's sold, it belongs to the other person. Don't forget, the guy asked for 6k. It wasn't a lowball offer to cheat him.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    I'm a scribe who makes most of his gold from selling Darkmoon Trinkets. Last night I noticed a guildy spamming trade trying to sell his Relic of Yu'Long. After about 2 hours of advertising Trade Chat, he apparently gives up and asks if anybody wants to buy it for 6k (in guild chat) I immediately take advantage of this and buy it from the guy, then turn around and sell it for over double what I paid him.

However now I'm feeling a little guilty because I feel like I took advantage of a guildy... The guild isn't very tight knit because there's over 60 people on at all times (even in the AM), but I still feel bad. Was I wrong to take advantage of a guildy, or is it fine because he got what he asked for anyways; business is business?

Seems to me he knew what it was worth he just didn't want to deal with the hassle of sealing it.

You did nothing wrong. They guy got sick of trying to sell it and just wanted to be rid of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In no way was that wrong. You make Goblins proud.

(Edit) also, in terms of helping out your guildie, you did. Hewanted to sell it, and you made that happen.
    Last edited by saintminya; 2012-12-24 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Business is business. He wasn't patient enough to make more money on it so you win. But I guess it means you're a good person if you feel bad about it. However if you REALLY felt bad you wound have tossed him a couple of K's and been like "Merry Christmas thanks for the low price". Then you wouldn't have had to post about feeling bad lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh unless you gave him the though that you were actually going to use it I think it is okay.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose