Poll: Was I Wrong?

Thread: Was this wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Nothing wrong with buying low selling high. That seems to be a huge factor of wow now

they got the gold they wanted, you happened to make a profit off it...no harm done, imo.

besides, i'd rather get gold for sure than sit on trinkets for weeks trying to sell them (I had a couple of int trinkets that took forever to sell)

I'd probably give him a little bit of my extra profits if it was me, but there's really nothing wrong with what you did. It's not like you scammed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Taking advantage of your guildmates is immoral.

Unless you don't care about helping our your guildmates, in which case why are you in that guild?

For the guild level perks, I guess.
    How did he take advantage of a guildmate? The guildmate sold it for that price because he was too lazy to wait a bit longer and make more profit out of it.
    Last edited by Xeraxis; 2012-12-24 at 07:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't a friend, there's not even a tight knit guild relation, it was a perfect deal.
    It's his own problem..... Next time he maybe learns to just simply list at the AH and go spend the 2 hours making extra gold with something else.
    I really never understood how one would addy for high value items through trade. Trade is usually raking in less profits anyway for the seller, unless someone is asking for a crafter and offers a nice tip.

I list my stuff, and it always sells nice. Often enough it sells within the hour.

I would have referred him to the AH, but yeah, if I made that big a margin off it in a short time, I prolly would have cut him in as 'a tip'.

I don't know why people don't realize how much it HELPS to be nice to others when you don't have to. "Giving away" 1000 gold or so of your profit barely touches you, but he will likely ALWAYS remember it, and you'll likely get assistance and business down the road from him and his friends. (even after that 'guild' of yours fades away)

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't have the time or patience to sell it.

You did. ...What more needs to be said, 2 guildies of mine do this frequently, no one begrudges them for it, some out raiders instantly see them as the free gold vendor for things they don't have the patience to sell, It's a win-win situation.

Don't feel bad, you MIGHT have told the guildie your intentions if you felt that awful, but I doubt if he wanted to just flog it that he's going to be too torn.
    (if he is, he is a gigantic baby)
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an idea. Tell him what you did. Since he's a guildmate and sold it to you for well under market, give him half the profits. You make 3K, he makes 3K. You didn't do anything wrong. But this is what I would do to repay him for the opportunity.

It could be the start of a beautiful relationship.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I have an idea. Tell him what you did. Since he's a guildmate and sold it to you for well under market, give him half the profits. You make 3K, he makes 3K. You didn't do anything wrong. But this is what I would do to repay him for the opportunity.

It could be the start of a beautiful relationship.
    Except 3k equals 25% of 12k and the guildy would get 9k and the benefit of not investing the time to sell.
    The notion of "he is a guildmate" should mean jack. Just because he happens to be in the same guild that I'm in does NOT elevate someone in a position where I have to cater for their needs and feel guilt whenever things don't benefit them.

Well, he got the money he wanted, and you got the money you wanted. It's nice that you actually care about moral though, goes to show that your heart is in the right place, but I wouldn't deem this as a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I think we are obligated to help people that we care about, which includes correting ignorance about the worth of in-game items.
    It wasn't ignorance; read what he said. The seller was gradually stepping the price down lower and lower. If the original seller wasn't in such a rush to sell it for such a low price, and realised it takes a little time to sell big ticket items, this post wouldn't be here. The seller named their price, and was impatient. They made their bed.

Here's something to measure it by, How would you feel about these actions if the person was a real-life friend ?

Would you have acted the same ?

I voted that you shouldn't have taken advantage, but the real question in my mind is this: Was he selling it to you for 6k only because it was in-guild? Or was he selling it for 6k in the first place?

If his original asking price was 6k, then business is business. If he gave you a discount for being a guild mate, and you took advantage of that to make money, then you shouldn't have done so.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 04:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    Except 3k equals 25% of 12k and the guildy would get 9k and the benefit of not investing the time to sell.
    The notion of "he is a guildmate" should mean jack. Just because he happens to be in the same guild that I'm in does NOT elevate someone in a position where I have to cater for their needs and feel guilt whenever things don't benefit them.
    Then don't belong to a guild.

If you talked him down from a higher price knowing that you were not going to equip said item then its a low act, But if he suggested and arrived at the idea of 6k gold without prodding then gold is gold and ask him if he has more to sell (or do what my guild members do and go into the AH as a grp and split the profits)

10+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with it. Business is business.
    If your guild was tight knit and everybody was raiding together and friends, then I would give the guy some of the money. But this doesn't appear to be your case.

10+ Year Old Account
    You monster, he is a guildie! >:O :P

It was the perfect opportunity for you to teach your guildie on how to sell stuff. Instead, you took advantage of his situation. Of course that is wrong. And you obviously think so since you created this thread.

business is business, why would you care for a player you don't know in real life anyway?

nah bro, you didn't take advantage of anyone. Some people just need gold quick and don't care about it's value because they don't have whatever amount of time it might take to find a buyer or sell in AH.

About the only thing you couldve done is told him... hey you know I usually sell that for like twice the price, and he could've said hmm Then I guess ill keep trying - or Yea, but I can't wait and spam trade anymore - and glad to sell it for 6k.

There is a slight chance he knows the price value of it - and does have the time to sell it - but still gave it to you at a discount because you are a guildie and assumed you were gonna use it not re-sell it. In that case, well - he needed to ask you some questions and not just assume.

10+ Year Old Account
    In most cases I would say it's kind of a jerk move, but if you're in one of those huge mega guilds that's pretty much just a glorified PUG like it sounds like you are, then I wouldn't worry about it. He was happy to get his 6k for it because he couldn't get any more than that obviously, just because you happened to find a buyer doesn't mean he didn't get his pound of flesh. Sounds to me like everybody logged out happy, no need to worry about that