Thread: Advice needed

Deleted

Advice needed

Finally stepping out and building a PC, been using a laptop and it just can't cope with newer games anymore. Looking to play mostly newer FPS, not at absolute maximum, but medium would be nice @ 1920x1080, was trying to keep it under the £400 mark. I have a 600w corsair PSU from my old comp so am not in need of one of those, also have the case. Any advice would be welcomed The List below is from ebuyer.com

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really see anything wrong with the list mate. What I would do if I were you and could squeeze out a few more coins is get the 1600 Mhz ram instead of the 1333, sure the real world difference won't be that great, but 1,600 is IMO the best value for money. 8 gigs is fine. Personally I'm a huge advocate of the Corsair vengeance XMP or the G-Skill Ripjaws RAM, but Crucial are a solid company and make some of the most reliable memory around (loving their M4 ssd right now)

Finally, for a very modest fee of 10-20 quid you can get the GTX 650 Ti which is possibly better price-performance ratio than the non-ti version. However a lot of people feel it's better to get a HD 7850 instead, I have to go eat so you may wish to research these options a bit more, the Graphics card should be the most important decision at this stage.

Deleted
    Thank you, I did add some 1600mhz ram like you said, didn't cost very much more, but the 7850, puts me quiet a lot over budget. Would it be worth it to save a little more and add one? because i'm not really looking for top performance in games, just enough to run them at around medium performance, one game in particular, struggles on my laptop, BF3, I get around 10-15fps, and since i bought it, would actually finally like to play it. I watched some videos on YouTube and it seems with a similar setup they were getting over 60fps, so i thought it would suit my needs.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-12-24 at 07:02 PM.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.02 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.60 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£138.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £399.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 19:06 GMT+0000)

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally yes I think the 7850 is worth saving up a bit longer for. But at the prices Scan.co.uk have, for some of the HD 7850s you should still be under the 400 pounds budget (incl. shipping cost)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html - this is a very useful source.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...eview/comments - some more comments about which to get

The card Notarget linked you, yes it's an extra 30 quid but I think worth it. Definitely. Splashing out a tiny bit more for the card, for a substantial performance boost will last you longer into the future. (To me the price difference is a 6 hour shift working in retail at minimum wage , 6 hour shift for ~20% graphic boost, yes pls!). You need to also consider that 2gb video ram on the card will last you into the future.

I know it can be convenient to get all your parts from one place, Ebuyer for example, but Scan and Amazon occasionally have cracking deals and the XFX notarget linked you is a good deal. I've used Scan.co.uk and they ship with DPD who are very reliable and text you a timeframe for when your item will arrive.

Other notes: You could go for the Ivy Bridge (3570k) processor if you want. It's newer technology but the i5 2500k is still perfectly amazing for gaming, even on high end rigs. I actually think you should go for the 3570 if possible simply 'cause it's newer tech and the price gap is so small.

The motherboard: I'd recommend something cheaper. I'm using a P8P67 M-Pro which is £64. As long as it has enough expansion slots for your needs, there is no point spending more money. The ASRock linked above is fine but in general Asus is considered a higher-quality brand when it comes to motherboards.

Bear in mind the ASRock is ATX form factor whilst the M-pro is micro-ATX meaning it is significantly smaller than an ATX motherboard and as such may not be able to accommodate a larger amount of PCI cards. For a single graphics card + sound card it is more than sufficient for the needs you describe, however it isn't future proofed - if you later decide you want a second graphics card AND a sound card, you probably won't be able to fit them all on. The ASRock on the other hand will accommodate more stuff.

Sure, you'd miss out on the cooler, but unless you're overclocking the stock cooler that comes with the processor will do the job. Plus it gives you the choice of cooler later on if you decide you want one for either thermal or noise level reasons.

Apologies for bad structuring of post; I've pretty much written things out in the order they've come to mind. The gist is, once you've shopped around for the lowest prices (incl. delivery costs obviously) and saved a few quid on the motherboard, you can put it towards HD 7850. Bobs your uncle, you've got a better PC gaming-wise and you're still under budget.
    Last edited by Will; 2012-12-24 at 09:48 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice going to order it after Xmas but I have got a fair few options now. The 7850 does seem like a better option, I wouldn't mind paying that extra but more for the performance boost. Going to see if any sites put up some sales on boxing day, might be able to get them even cheaper.

I was looking around though and found.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=51846

This is just a reference card sold and branded by Aria? seems awfully cheap for a 7850, it's even cheaper then the GTX 650. I know Aria have a really good rep but is their warranty the same as their sales rep?
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-12-25 at 02:08 AM.