Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Except it would not take more than a thought to run as a Democrat so you actually have a chance of getting into office. Anybody can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't make them so.
    he actually got 31% of the Democrats to vote for him in the 1992 Democratic Senate Primary.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I'd like to see your sources on that. I'm not calling you our or anything, I just want it to spread around myself with this "news" story.
    From what I've gathered, this is the (an?) official documentation of the case from the judge; NEW WORLD COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA INC WTVT TV v. AKRE

Like I said, I may be getting something wrong here, as I am a legal layman.
    Wiping is Fun! ™

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm not trying to. He's a registered Democrat, I get it.

I'm simply asking you to list a few left wing ideologies that Fred Phelps holds. That is the contention of this article.

Democrat != left wing.
    did you read the page linked or did you just see the words fox news and jump in and start bashing? the only thing it says is that Fred Phelps is a democrat, which he is.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    I wonder if people understand why I call them Faux News now.
    I do love your snark... I do... keep it up.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't consider them left or right. I just consider them INSANE.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Kkk was founded by Democrats, and the left opposed the abolition of slavery
    Misleading at best, Democrats were the conservative right party in the mid 1800's. Both parties over time have moved back and forth across the spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    did you read the page linked or did you just see the words fox news and jump in and start bashing? the only thing it says is that Fred Phelps is a democrat, which he is.
    From the article:

Bikers Turn Out to Protect Newtown Mourners from Left-Wing Westboro Cult
    Durrrrrr. Left wing cult. This is the contention in the article. I'm not arguing that Fred Phelps isn't a democrats, I'm arguing that him and the WBC are not left-wing, which fox is trying to imply. L2 Read.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    he actually got 31% of the Democrats to vote for him in the 1992 Democratic Senate Primary.
    You're missing the point. You can label yourself as whatever you want, it doesn't make it so. You can twist your words to suit a particular party, it doesn't make you one. The only thing other people use that knowledge for is to pour bullshit on the opposite party, by claiming these crazies are part of them.

Seran, do you realize you're just confirming whatever misgivings people have about Fox News (and their viewers) if you really think tarring the current Democratic Party with the KKK brush is a hot sell, or that Fred Phelps is totes left wing since he happened to run as a Democrat?

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 02:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Pretty much. More harm is done by restricting them than by letting them lie.
    Considering the famous polling results which show Fox News viewers are in some areas more ignorant than people who watch no news at all, I'm of a mind to dispute that.

I've seen a few posts about this guy running as a democrat 20 years ago... I don't think that qualifies him as being a democrat now lol. Perhaps Fox news should've described him as "former democrat"... or left the word out altogether since his political past has nothing to do with the story (other than to sling mud of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Considering the famous polling results which show Fox News viewers are in some areas more ignorant than people who watch no news at all, I'm of a mind to dispute that.
    You cannot abrogate the rights of one media organisation just because you don't like its content. :-\
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So funny, seeing as their main sticking point is the same one that Bush pulled in 2004. No relation to Republican values at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Can someone tell me why a newschannel is allowed to tell lies? I know there is a right of free speech, but to tell lies in a newschannel should have consequenses.
    They're not a news channel, they're an entertainment channel. No really, that's what it's classed as. So they can say whatever they like.

You cannot abrogate the rights of one media organisation just because you don't like its content.
    I'm not sure about that either. The argument that a democracy may not protect its electorate from lies and misinformation is a curious one, since it's obvious that you won't have a democracy very long in that case.

Also, Canada basically told Fox News to go eff itself when they applied for a license there.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You cannot abrogate the rights of one media organisation just because you don't like its content."

I'm not sure about that either. The argument that a democracy may not protect its electorate from lies and misinformation is a curious one, since it's obvious that you won't have a democracy very long in that case.
    That implies the US is a democracy regardless. It is simply the fact of the matter; restricting freedom of the press on an arbitrary basis sets a dangerous precedent.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

restricting freedom of the press on an arbitrary basis sets a dangerous precedent.
    I don't see adherence to at least some standard of factual accuracy from a news organization to be particularly arbitrary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see adherence to at least some standard of factual accuracy from a news organization to be particularly arbitrary.
    Who defines fact, in terms of the media, that could not possibly twist that definition to suit political ends?

No, better that there remain media organisations outside government control.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Who defines fact, in terms of the media, that could not possibly twist that definition to suit political ends?
    An independent body, like in a number of countries?

Fox news kinda reminds me of McCarthyism from the 60's... while there is a minority that actually believes the stuff (and quite strongly), most people know it's insane, but they don't want to put in any effort into removing it. I can see a liberal bias in other medias... but nothing compared to Fox in my opinion. Hell I remember like 5 minutes after Obama won the election, people on Fox were essentially saying "blacks and hispanics only voted for Obama because they want free stuff".... really? You don't think Obama's beliefs and values had anything to do with it?

And more faith in humanity was lost this night.