Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Biggest nerfs/fixes throughout WoW's history?

I was discussing recently with my friend what we thought were the biggest nerfs in WoW's history, most of them well deserved. Here is what I came up with, see if you can tell what class I used to main xD.

1. Bloodlust being excluded from arenas - well deserved TBH, it was a necessity provided by only 1 class for many years
    2. That DK talent that allowed them to rez as a ghoul - I was so thankful when this was removed, I remember DKs being impossible to finish off.
    2. Windfury totem - changed WF totem to no longer grant the windfury buff on the weapons of allies which would allow classes such as warriors to get a streak of multiple attacks at the same time on top of sword spec/mace stun.
    3. Will of the forsaken nerf - though still quite good, WotF used to be dominate for PvP.

what do you guys think? as you can see my examples are quite biased
    Last edited by barrsftw; 2012-12-23 at 07:05 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dk's in general from S5.

Rogue / Priest having Blind and Fear share DR. I play a priest, and even I had to agree it was retarded when they were separate.

Any nerfs druids have ever received!

Divine Shield duration reduced.

Nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Quote Originally Posted by Hetrofi View Post
    Divine Shield duration reduced.

Nuff said
    I don't remember this.. When did this happen and do you remember what it used to be?

Deleted
    Arcane mages using missiles while at full stacks in wotlk and then abarr right after, and having both missiles and abarr benefit from the full stacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    When resto druids were ruined mid-wrath.

Early blood presence for death knights (everyone in raid got it), i was beating healers in 25mans.

Patch 3.0.2
    -30% of all boss HP in level 70 raids encounters.

Never saw Illidan go demon form again till cata when I 4 manned it.

Wrath of the Lich King Beta
    When A DK could use DRW, then use army of the dead, and have the rune weapon also use army of the dead. DOUBLE ARMY FTW!

And yeah, the infamous reckoning bomb.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2012-12-23 at 07:06 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

3 sec internal CD on windfury for shaman

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Early blood presence for death knights (everyone in raid got it), i was beating healers in 25mans.
    Forgot about this, It was crazy indeed.

Also forgot about the reckoning nerf, that for sure takes my #1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    I don't remember this.. When did this happen and do you remember what it used to be?
    The patch making stuff ready for Cataclysm (3.9.5?)

The thing was the duration was reduced so you could not manage to use your hearthstone in the bubble anymore.
    Not really gameplay important, but they did remove something iconic for Paladins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Monk healing: From best to worst in 4 days.

I was thinking C'thun, going from absolutely unkillable to killable!.. Generally, class changes aren't that big in my opinion so raid nerfs would definitly end up on top for me. Or maybe the Firelands nerf, 25% across the board I think it was.

Illumination nerf in TBC Man people CRIED on forums. So many quit threats never to be seen again (maybe they've really quit?).

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever patch it was during the Vanilla days of the "class patch" when they made major improvements to each class that warriors and warlocks were part of, or at least the series of fixes they got. Warriors stopped losing rage for missing targets was a major one, but there were other things I no longer remember specifically, but they became pretty much unstoppable with a pocket healer after that (still easy as hell 1v1 though). Warlocks got deathcoil, as well as Soul Link became a permanent buff, among many other things in the demonology tree that made them near unkillable. I still have my friend's PvP videos from when he popularized the NF/SL build back in 2005/6. Basically before that patch, both classes were pretty much a joke. Warriors were popular anyway, because people always play warriors, but a warlock was a rare sight.

The biggest nerf this game has ever and will ever see is Diminishing Returns. I think this was patch 1.3 or 1.4. Back when a warlock could chain fear, a druid could chain root, and mages could chain polymorph. Sheep/Sap and cap a node if a node in AB was guarded by one person. Granted CC was still powerful before a similar nerf, which was also gamechanging. That was a cap on PvP CC length was implemented to 10 seconds, and the PvP trinket being universal in breaking all forms of CC instead of breaking only 2 or 3 types depending on what class you were combined with the cooldown reduction from 5 to 2 minutes for the trinket.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I was thinking C'thun, going from absolutely unkillable to killable!.. Generally, class changes aren't that big in my opinion so raid nerfs would definitly end up on top for me. Or maybe the Firelands nerf, 25% across the board I think it was.
    C'Thun wasn't a nerf, it was a bug fix.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I was thinking C'thun, going from absolutely unkillable to killable!..
    I must say yes it was a big nerf when it comes too a boss being too hard its stupid but still after they made C'thun killable he still didnt get killed a lot so in my eyes it wasnt that big of a nerf and i dont know why people say it was a bug fix coz cthun wasnt bugged at all.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Biggest nerf was the increase wand damage talent!!!! Why oh why did they remove it. Low lvl was dot bubble wand rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    C'Thun wasn't a nerf, it was a bug fix.
    Well, the thread is called nerfs/fixes so it still belongs in there in my opinion. Don't really see the need for you to pick on something like that :S Besides, I never called it a nerf. I just said it went from absolutely unkillable to killable. Having a bad day Stevegasm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sure there were bigger nerfs throughout the games history, but two I remember absolutely outraging me at the time were the complete removal of the flash of light HOT provided by sacred shield during wraith, and word of glory going from no cooldown to having a 20 second CD for ret in early cata.