A few good mage addons

Merry christmas mages! The knowledge of addons is not strong at all in me, so I request your assistance in this matter. I'm looking for an addon(or a couple of addons, depending on the case) that can make my life easier. I play frost at the moment, so an addon that keeps track of cooldowns would be most welcome. An addon that shows buff duration(For evocation, for instance) in the form of a bar(Such as the deadly boss mods ones) is also appreciated.

You can also bring your own recommendations. In fact, I encourage you to do so. Thank you very much for finding a few minutes to help a mage in need.

Well depends what you want, if you dont really wanna do much work, then prolly just DL magenuggets. But if you are willing to put the time on setting your stuff up. Then you get better results.

So list of addons that are good for a mage:

Quartz <- casting bar addon
    Magebombtracker <-- tracks the duration of your bombs and cd of your frostbomb
    Needtoknow <--- you can track spells, buffs, trinket icd's, random timers with this, I use it for tracking invocation buff and its pretty nice for it
    Weakauras <--- does the same as needtoknow really, but in a different way
    Tellmewhen <--- does the same as needtoknow, but is dumbed down so it needs minimal knowledge to actually do stuff with it
    Tidyplates <--- Not really anything to do with mages directly but lets you pick up targets that tab targeting wont get fast enough
    OmniCC <--- Tracks your spell cooldowns and shows them as countdown timers on your spell icons

Deleted
    You can never recommend NeedToKnow and TellMeWhen enough.

Download ExtraCD to track the CD's on ICD's, such as Jade Spirit, Tailoring Embroidment, Trinkets ++

Thanks, that's a helpful place to start.

Deleted
    Broker_Portals : Access to all your Teleport related spells/items with ease
    Classtimer : Track your dots/bombs
    Clique : Decurse like a pro with a simple bind + click on your Grid
    CombustionHelper : The best Fire Mage addon there is, track your ignite value, pyroblast dot, and living bombs
    ErrorMonster : Get rid of all the useless red error messages in the middle of your screen
    ExtraCD : Track the internal cooldowns of your trinkets/tailor cloak
    Mage Nuggets : Built in Spellsteal/Polymorph trackers, track your cauterize CD, mirror image duration and much more
    Player Mana Percent : Very simplified display of your current mana (superb for Arcane)
    ReforgeLite : 1 click > perfect reforge, what else ?

There are a lot of other non-mage specific helpful addons out there, you can check my UI on my Stream if you like, and if I'm not online make sure you check the video tab !

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post

I use weakauras in place of either of those it will do both and has way more options. Any of the 3 are better then running without something that tracks important cd, icd and procs you can miss. Being able to track things like a warriors crit banner and a shammy nature buff also helps.

---------- Post added 2012-12-25 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blatty View Post
    Broker_Portals : Access to all your Teleport related spells/items with ease
    Classtimer : Track your dots/bombs
    Clique : Decurse like a pro with a simple bind + click on your Grid
    CombustionHelper : The best Fire Mage addon there is, track your ignite value, pyroblast dot, and living bombs
    ErrorMonster : Get rid of all the useless red error messages in the middle of your screen
    ExtraCD : Track the internal cooldowns of your trinkets/tailor cloak
    Mage Nuggets : Built in Spellsteal/Polymorph trackers, track your cauterize CD, mirror image duration and much more
    Player Mana Percent : Very simplified display of your current mana (superb for Arcane)
    ReforgeLite : 1 click > perfect reforge, what else ?

There are a lot of other non-mage specific helpful addons out there, you can check my UI on my Stream if you like, and if I'm not online make sure you check the video tab !
    Weakauras does the same things and in many cases does a better job of the under lined mods. It will also take care of everything mage nuggets does besides the real time stat display box.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Arcane and Frost and I'll second several mods already listed

Quiartz - suggest the cast bar with latency
    Mage Nuggets - no set up required unlike weak auras.
    OmniCC - use the numbers not the dial for your CDs
    Inline Auras - Spell flash (no setup required)
    Reforge lite (for the quick fixes)
    NeedtoKnow - I find this much easier to setup than Tellmewhen.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

I'm currently playing frost and the addons i'm using are:

- Elvui (UI Revamp)
    - Addon Control Panel (Manage all your addons without having to logout)
    - Auctionator (Simplest AH addon)
    - SpellFlash (To remember me to evocate all the time)
    - DBM (Boss mods)
    - Recount (damage meter)
    - Debuff Filter (EXTREMELY useful, i believe everyone should use it. Tracks all your buffs, procs, debuffs in a simple way)
    - MikScrollingBattleText (Battle Texts)
    - Postal (Mail addon)
    - True Item Level (inspect other people's item level)
    - WeakAuras (General purposes)

* Essential
    * Optional

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    This. All of this.

I couldn't imagine playing any of my toons without NTK.
    My mage is currently using OmniCC, NTK, Quartz, MyBigIgnite and a few other minor ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Hi there guys, ling time lurker and first time poster here!

Quick question (if answered in other thread feel free to link me) as I`m switching from fire to arcane of all the obvious reasons. I`ve used the addons:
    - MageNuggets
    - CombustionHelper
    - CoolLine
    - MyBigIgnite
    - Quartz

... and of course some other not-mage-specific add ons, and of course I`ll get rid of firespecific addons like CombustionHelper but apart from that, do you guys have any specific addons tips when respecting from fire to arcane?
    It´s embarrassing to admit but not used NeedToKnow or TellMe When but seems like I have to go for both now (should be A LOT easier than to look for the graphics...).

All help is appreciated, got an 485 ilvl and planning to go haste as I`ve never played arcane before and are doing normal HOF 3/6 progression.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    **** Re: Post #4 of this thread ****

Jade Spirit is no longer trackable by the add-on "Extra CD", since being moved to the PPM system. You may want to use the add-on "Weak Auras" to ensure you don't miss the proc. There is a wonderful thread within the community, which includes the necessary codes for this enchant and more: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ht=jade+spirit
    Last edited by Alione; 2012-12-29 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    All you really need is MageNuggets & Quartz imo.

MageNuggets shows Arcane/Fire/Frost CD's etc

Quartz is just a better castbar, which is awesome :3

This is all you need imo.

I use (those marked with * are addons i use since BC/WotLK/even Classic and wont ever let go coz either i have gotten so used to them or just cause they fulfill there role so very well):

*Opie: not only does it do SOOOOO MUCH for every class in general but i also it to have a "circle" dedicated to portals and such. (like the WIM addon i just cant play without it anymore).
    ForteExorcist: I track all Procs/ICDs/Buffs/Bombs/Whathaveyou i need to know. it looks gorgeuous and is easy to setup.
    CombustionHelper: I use this for Fire, name says it all
    Quartz: Castbar addon
    Reforgelite: Simple one-click reforge addon, easy to set
    *Decursive: Very simple, small, tight packed one-click Addon to decurse.
    *OmniCC: Digital Timer on your spells

another addons i recommend:
    AuctionLite: simple light weight Auction addon that does all the job necassery for a casual Auctioneer
    *MSBT: Scrolling Combat Text Addon. very easy to set up and can be tinkered to a mage's need (like giving a sound at certain mana%)
    *DBM: A must have Raid tool
    Skada: Damage/Aggro Meter, i also use this to analyze my DPS (or others) or see how/why someone died
    *Grid: Neat addon to track raid groups.
    ArkInventory: Bag Addon with sooo much functionality
    Adibags: A simpler Bag Addon than Ark.
    MobInfo2: Simple Addon to display Target's Life in Percent and Total Numbers, if you are using the standard UI.

Deleted
    Personally, I use:
    TellMeWhen - for near every things
    ForteXorcist - for the cooldown bar, CD splash and multi-dot tracking
    EavesDrop - for tracking damage
    Skada - as meter
    LUI - "it's also make the coffee"©

Who launch the "show your UI" post as WoW is still down ???
    Last edited by mmocccfbebbec4; 2013-01-02 at 10:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joaopedrosfc View Post
    - Recount (damage meter)

* Essential
    * Optional
    IMO Recount should never be considered 'essential'. If you look at recount at all during an encounter that's time spent not looking at your positioning and/or cooldowns, so forth. It's basically a distraction. If you want an in-depth review of a kill it's better just to Log and use WoL.

OT:

I'm using ElvUI, WeakAuras, MSBT (hate Floating Combat Text), Omen3 and Gnosis.

Used to use Quartz for castbars until I discovered that Gnosis just had so much more customization and actually displayed ticks correctly.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2012-12-30 at 09:35 PM.

Deleted
    Nice ones:

IceHUD (esp for arcane to see manabar in the middel of the screen)
    Smart Aura Watch
    Scorchio 2
    OmniCC
    Skada (I prefer this to Recount+Omen)

Greetings, Dera