GPU not found after PC upgrade

Just upgraded my PC with a new Mainboard and CPU i5 3570k + Asrock Z77Pro4.
    Looks like the new mainboard doesn't recognize my GPU (GTX 560Ti), screen stays black if I plug my monitor in it.
    iGPU works fine, if I check the device manager under windows there's no sign of my GTX560Ti, just the Intel HD4000.
    GPU fans are both running and I already took the card out and put it back in again a couple of times in case it wasn't seated properly but still nothing.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Simple question...are the drivers installed? PSU is plugged into the card?

Drivers shouldn't matter really, should show up as "vga adapter" in the device manager. Try another pcie slot, and if possible, another computer. I would hate for your new mobo to have a bad slot.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you turn off on-board graphics in the bios?

Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    Shouldn't matter on a z77. In fact, he should see both video devices in device manager.

Do you have the VirtuMVP software installed? I personally don't run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxsul View Post
    Simple question...are the drivers installed? PSU is plugged into the card?

Drivers shouldn't matter really, should show up as "vga adapter" in the device manager. Try another pcie slot, and if possible, another computer. I would hate for your new mobo to have a bad slot.
    What drivers? Can't install Nvidia drivers because it doesn't find the GPU. I've installed everything from the Asrock mainboard CD.
    PSU is plugged in or the fans wouldn't be working. There's no VGA adapter, there's nothing in the device manager except the HD4000.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    Dunno where that option is but I have "prefered GPU" (or something like that) set to PCI-E.

Shouldn't matter on a z77. In fact, he should see both video devices in device manager.

Do you have the VirtuMVP software installed? I personally don't run it.
    I don't think so, don't even know what that is. Just finished installing windows + mainboard driver cd.

Gonna try the 2nd PCIe slot next to see if it works there.

Well you can power a card through the low wattage in the pcie slot, but usually just enough to turn the fans on and tell you you need more juice....but anyway....

Try the second slot. If no luck, try the card in another machine. (Alternatively try another card on the same board.) That should point you solidly in the direction that either the board/OS - OR - the card has an issue.

just tried my old GTX460 in slot1, also doesn't work.

Really could be worth disabling the onboard graphics controller. I know of a fair few older boards that technically should work but don't unless the onboard is disabled.
    I have had the same with onboard sound and my creative sound card.

If it doesn't work you can just reset the bios to go back to default settings.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

I've had this happen a few times when installing a new video card and got it to work by doing the following:

~Keep the card installed but hook up monitor through the onboard gfx
    ~Use the CD/Download & install the drivers
    ~Reboot and it should recognize the new video card

Not sure if it will work with yours but might be worth a shot. This was with Windows 7 also.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Really could be worth disabling the onboard graphics controller. I know of a fair few older boards that technically should work but don't unless the onboard is disabled.
    I have had the same with onboard sound and my creative sound card.

If it doesn't work you can just reset the bios to go back to default settings.
    just tried, couldn't find an option to disable it, i don't think it even has one.
    And the board can't be that "old" if it supports ivy bridge.

Set the PCi-X link speed to Auto in the bios and make sure you are using the top most PCI-X slot closest to the CPU if you can just to weed out problems.

There should be 4 options for link speed. Gen1/Gen2/Gen3/Auto.
    Last edited by Ravijn; 2012-12-26 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    I've had this happen a few times when installing a new video card and got it to work by doing the following:

~Keep the card installed but hook up monitor through the onboard gfx
    ~Use the CD/Download & install the drivers
    ~Reboot and it should recognize the new video card

Not sure if it will work with yours but might be worth a shot. This was with Windows 7 also.
    can't install gpu drivers because it doesn't find any gpu to install drivers for to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Ravijn View Post
    Set the PCi-X link speed to Auto in the bios and make sure you are using the top most PCI-X slot closest to the CPU if you can just to weed out problems.

There should be 4 options for link speed. Gen1/Gen2/Gen3/Auto.
    It's been an auto the whole time by default. I'm using the top PCI-e slot. Can't even try the second PCI-e slot without too much trouble because the GPU is too long and the SATA connectors/cables are in the way. *sigh*

Try to find the setting to disable the iGPU. It's gotta be in there somewhere.

Good luck!

Edit - Super dumb question.... You remembered to plug in the power cable to the 560ti?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravijn View Post
    Try to find the setting to disable the iGPU. It's gotta be in there somewhere.

Good luck!

Edit - Super dumb question.... You remembered to plug in the power cable to the 560ti?
    Yes, I'm not THAT stupid

Just tried the 2nd PCI-e slot and it works! Shows up as "standard VGA-GPU" in the device manager even without drivers and the monitor is getting a picture as well.
    So... is the 1st slot broken? How much worse is the 2nd slot in terms of performance? I really don't wanna rebuild that whole PC again, especially the CPU cooler was a bitch to mount >_>

I have a ASRock extreme6 and the manual tells me to use slot 2 for one gpu, and slots 2,3 for Xfire SLI.

Perhaps the 4 is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Yes, I'm not THAT stupid

Just tried the 2nd PCI-e slot and it works! Shows up as "standard VGA-GPU" in the device manager even without drivers and the monitor is getting a picture as well.
    So... is the 1st slot broken? How much worse is the 2nd slot in terms of performance? I really don't wanna rebuild that whole PC again, especially the CPU cooler was a bitch to mount >_>
    Make sure that the 2nd slot is a PCI-Ex16 slot. If not, it sounds like you have a bad mobo. I would look into RMAing it ASAP.

I have a ASRock extreme6 and the manual tells me to use slot 2 for one gpu, and slots 2,3 for Xfire SLI.

Perhaps the 4 is the same.
    yeah my manual says the same, but slot 2 was the one that didn't work, it's working in slot 3 now.

yeah my manual says the same, but slot 2 was the one that didn't work, it's working in slot 3 now.
    Check the slot speed with GPU-Z or the system information within the Nvidia control panel to make sure it's working at full speed.

You can try a bios update in case its a bit of errata but I doubt it. Call Asrock up and see if there is any other known quirkiness with that board but 99% you've got a bad M/B.

Sounds like the pcie slot is broken, you may want to RMA that and get a replacement if you've just bought it recently.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno