Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Because through my life I worked in numerous complex highload realtime projects and have pratical confirmation that it takes month at most to get into things in pretty much any scale of project?

Ok, let's for a moment assume that they're reall IQ 999 wizards that us, mere mortals, have no hope to ever understand. Now one of them dies and what? Oh, Blizzard suffered nonrecoverable loss and there are NOBODY IN ENTIRE WORLD to replace lost genius and continue working on WoW!

Get real.

NO, FUCKING NO! Unless you're completely stupid, you can figure any programmed system out there. Any competent programmer will tell you so.

I'm tired of how general populace looks on programs as on rituals. You have to be blessed by cult leader and only then this ritual works in your hands. No, fucking no again. Programming is not magic. You CAN understand it.
    I'm not saying it can't be figured out. Of course it can. What I am saying is that nobody here, unless they work for Blizzard, can possibly have any knowledge on the difficulty inherent in implementing any specific project. It is pure conjecture on both sides. All we have to go off of is what we are told. So you either are of a mind to accept that, or think that it is complete BS. But either way, there is no definitive factual basis for either conclusion.

It has never been a question of COULD it be done. Even Blizzard says, in a roundabout way, that it could be done. What they are telling people is that it would take more time and effort than they are willing to put in right now. WHY that is the case is left up to speculation, and regardless of how much training or experience someone might have, that is all it will ever be unless you are a Blizzard employee. So quit talking like you are the greatest mind on the planet, blessing us mere mortals with knowledge that is so obvious you can't grasp why we don't inherently understand it. You are guessing, just like everyone else here. Because despite whatever training or knowledge you may possess, you still lack access to facts necessary for you to be able to make an informed, intelligent determination of the scope and complexity of a specific project.
    Last edited by Gurbz; 2012-12-26 at 04:07 PM.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

people having duplicate names on other servers is probably also quite an issue^^

No, you don't even need to redesign UI. Just use same syntax of Char-server you can currently use in chat in mail "to" field and that was all over the game since first cross realm BGs years ago. There, I've just completed UI solution for you.
    That is ugly and has some issues. This is only to transfer heirloom items to your own characters it really should have its own UI, its own checks and conditions...etc.
    Last edited by gamingmuscle; 2012-12-26 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    That isn't trivial either, and doesn't solve all the hurdles.
    How is that not trivial?

On deposit you check if the item is BoA, if it's not BoA return false. Boom, now depositing works.

Now, to get the list of all items in this bank:

"SELECT field1, field2, fieldx FROM account_wide_bank WHERE id_account = ?"

Replace the ? with the id of your battle.net account. And that's it. Now you can retrieve all items from your account wide bank.

Now just make an UI for it and it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    people having duplicate names on other servers is probably also quite an issue^^
    OMG, tell them it ASAP, before CRZ blow the servers!!! HURRY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    OMG, tell them it ASAP, before CRZ blow the servers!!! HURRY!!!!
    CRZ gets around it by making your server part of your name!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    but Cross Realm Zones wasn't technical limited?, i see, only sending an item is hard to do. what about Real ID, they said that was impossible too (well almost impossible) they made that too, i really can't see how sending an item is more technical than those 2 i just mentioned.

Yes CRZ is technically limited...You can't trade anything to cross-realm players...

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    All we have to go off of is what we are told.
    Or, please forgive the audacity of my brazen idea, maybe use our brain? At least a little? Sorry, I don't have to "accept that" for any bullshit that is fed to me when I have years of experience showing confirming that this is bullshit indeed.

Rest of your post is, once again: "Unless your you have points in Blizzard-school of magic, you can't possibly comprehend any of their incantations."

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    CRZ gets around it by making your server part of your name!
    OK, I read that and feel the urge to ask you.... 2+2 equals....?

Besides rowaasr13 already answered that question here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19577390

That is ugly and has some issues. This is only to transfer heirloom items to your own characters it really should have its own UI, its own checks and conditions...etc.
    It is exactly the same solution that was in game for years. How it is suddenly not good for anything else? That's also exactly how cross-faction sending works right now, so why cross-realm have to be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    Because when you implement a feature that involves players you totally use their names to do so.

Jezus. Ever heard of ID?

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    How is that not trivial?

On deposit you check if the item is BoA, if it's not BoA return false. Boom, now depositing works.

Now, to get the list of all items in this bank:

"SELECT field1, field2, fieldx FROM account_wide_bank WHERE id_account = ?"

Replace the ? with the id of your battle.net account. And that's it. Now you can retrieve all items from your account wide bank.

Now just make an UI for it and it's done.
    LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 04:18 PM ----------

It is exactly the same solution that was in game for years. How it is suddenly not good for anything else? That's also exactly how cross-faction sending works right now, so why cross-realm have to be any different?
    Cause the 2 things are very different? And does that work outside of the RBG or LFR instance? I honestly don't talk to people outside my realm that I'm not RealID friends with.
    Last edited by gamingmuscle; 2012-12-26 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

What else do you need? You make a query, get the data, put them in an array/list/map/whatever and list them in your UI.

Oh ya I forgot, you need 3 voodoo dolls too. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    but Cross Realm Zones wasn't technical limited?, i see, only sending an item is hard to do. what about Real ID, they said that was impossible too (well almost impossible) they made that too, i really can't see how sending an item is more technical than those 2 i just mentioned.
    You can see and play with another player, but aside from conjured items, or an item they had loot rights to, you CANNOT trade via CRZ.

The issue becomes, in a VERY general sense, this:

All servers are not even housed at the same location. The mail system is not designed to send mail between servers. They would have to implement a whole new program for the mail system, to allow for cross-realm mailing, and it would not be easy. You have to figure it needs to verify a few things to be able to do it:

1: Is the character on your account?
    2: Is the name spelled EXACTLY right?
    2b: A contingency to ensure that should it be attempted to mailed to an incorrect name, that it can give as quick a return back to you for the error.
    3: Making sure it is a speedy process (you can forget instant most likely).
    4: Additional details, functions, and limitations that I can't think of after being awake for 15min.

@Keilith: Diablo 3's game engine is designed ENTIRELY differently, with all your characters stored in one location (per region), unlike WoW's that are, just in the US, spread across multiple. It was designed with a shared stash in-mind. WoW never was designed with any form of cross-realm functionality/communication at all, and all that has come YEARS after release (Anyone remember how long server transfers used to take?).
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Cause the 2 things are very different?
    How so on frontend side? It is same operation from player: send item to another character, so it's natural that it should have same UI regardless if you send mail on same server or not. Do you use different mail clients to send mail to different servers or what?

LOL congrats on sql...but you need a lot more then that.[COLOR="red"]
    Care to elaborate? All other functionality code needed is trivial.

It's the same principle. I never worked in Blizzard, but EVERY MMO I dealt with have SQL access to database for the GMs. I see no reason to why Blizzard would choose another way.
    To spend more, have to get special equipment only for that, when there is a reliable and cheap way available?

The gaming code can be different but as the programmers in this thread have been pointing, the same principles apply. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING starts with zeros and ones. It's just a matter of translation, but the structure remains the same.

And today's Battle.net already have the hard part implemented, they can't hide behind the excuse they used 4 years ago, when they advertise they are over that technical difficulties on the other front.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    You can see and play with another player, but aside from conjured items, or an item they had loot rights to, you CANNOT trade via CRZ.
    Because there's ADDITIONAL check in place to forbid doing so, not because you need to add something for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    All servers are not even housed at the same location. The mail system is not designed to send mail between servers. They would have to implement a whole new program for the mail system, to allow for cross-realm mailing, and it would not be easy. You have to figure it needs to verify a few things to be able to do it:

1: Is the character on your account?
    2: Is the name spelled EXACTLY right?
    2b: A contingency to ensure that should it be attempted to mailed to an incorrect name, that it can give as quick a return back to you for the error.
    3: Making sure it is a speedy process (you can forget instant most likely).
    4: Additional details, functions, and limitations that I can't think of after being awake for 15min.
    1. Single DB query.
    2. Single laughable simple DB query, because exact match is easiest thing to do ever.
    3. Don't even start transaction if two previous checks didn't succeed.
    4. And some magic stuff you mortals will never understand so anything you say is automatically invalid!

Point is, any good programmer CAN think of it and solve it. It's what we do every day.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-26 at 04:29 PM.

yea I know...20 euro/dollar
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Because there's ADDITIONAL check in place to forbid doing so, not because you need to add something for it to work.

1. Single DB query.
    2. Single laughable simple DB query, because exact match is easiest thing to do ever.
    3. Don't even start transaction if two previous checks didn't succeed.
    4. And some magic stuff you mortals will never understand so anything you say is automatically invalid!

Point is, any good programmer CAN think of it and solve it. It what's we do every day.
    And any good programmer WOULD know it's just not that simple when you are dealing with 8+ year old code and infrastructure.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche