Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    I'm not hiding behind anything, it's just not as simple as some are trying to make it sound. But quite honestly, it just doesn't sound like a high priority feature. It is an ok idea, but it isn't needed.
    We all get that, but we are upset about Blizzard representatives presenting it as "technically impossible at this point".

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    On my previous job (BMMORPG, incidentally), my first assignment was to implement currency exchange auction with cross-server support. Took two weeks.
    Oh, and speaking of "agendas", project owner requested this feature to be taken offline just a half-year later, because "he had a hunch" that letting people trade grindable in-game currency for real-money based currency was cutting in profits. But of course Blizzard have no such agendas, they're pure white angels selflessly slaving for our enjoyment alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Because we know we could do it better. It is a simple fact. Black magic again though, I guess. Nonetheless, your post contributes nothing.
    It contributes as much as all of these e-brains posts do. Jack and shit. I'm sure all of blizzard's programmers are trolling these posts to get all of your coding ideas. /rollseyes
    The only fact in this thread is that there a bunch of wanna be smarties who think they could do something better. Spare us all the nonsense. At the end of the day your ideas along with mine or anybody elses is going to get nowhere. Don't like that you can't send heirlooms to another server and it means that much to you? Then don't play the game. I just solved the problem for you and it didn't take a single line of code.

It would take about 2 weeks because it does not rely solely on you, but you have to wait for artists to finish the artwork (if you reuse, this becomes a joke), UI designers to make up their mind about where to put what button, game designers to make up their mind about how to access the feature. In fact, your job is laughably easy, but you have to put up with others, who only like to hassle over details (personal experience).
    Sorry I do it all, I don't wait for anyone =P But thanks cause you just pointed out how it is even less trivial because you now have multiple teams to with different priorities and schedules etc. I never said it hard, its just simply not trivial. You may consider whatever portion you have to contribute to trivial, that doesn't make the entire task trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

We all get that, but we are upset about Blizzard representatives presenting it as "technically impossible at this point".
    "Hurdle" doesn't mean impossible, just "higher than we want to jump right now".
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Lots of people pay money to transfer with heirlooms to either use them or send them to the other faction on their desired server. It takes very little effort for them to make an account wide flag for the purchasing of heirloom items from a vendor but it will cost them lots of money from lost transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    It contributes as much as all of these e-brains posts do. Jack and shit. I'm sure all of blizzard's programmers are trolling these posts to get all of your coding ideas. /rollseyes
    The only fact in this thread is that there a bunch of wanna be smarties who think they could do something better. Spare us all the nonsense. At the end of the day your ideas along with mine or anybody elses is going to get nowhere. Don't like that you can't send heirlooms to another server and it means that much to you? Then don't play the game. I just solved the problem for you and it didn't take a single line of code.
    I don't think you understood the point of this "argument" at all. See my post above.

I'd be in serious despair if I suddenly found out that they really need outside inspiration for such simple things.

They said there are technical hurdles. Which would be true. You just don't like that it isn't a priority to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, imagine that! MMO developers have an agenda besides technical hurdles. While I worked on one, our creative director requested quite the number of changes to inconvenience players and force them to use micro-transactions because (damn, I feel like it is really day of revelations today!) he wanted money in his pocket, not player's comfort.
    Well that is a complete shock to me

Point being that wow players in general are some of the most spoiled, self-etitled, MEMEME individuals ever, so I can't really blame blizzard for just slapping the "tech issue" label on specific things.

Another example is server merger due to low populace.., there's no technical difficulty, but it's a lot of lost revenue to them, so naturally it's not going to happen.
    In specific to allowing everything to be cross realm, I'd hate it also if that ever came to pass.., because it opens up to enormous exploitations of everything in the game, meaning they have to have some safe-guards in place first, and every one with half the iq of a ping pong ball can see this type of "feature" generating landslide complaints also.., because;

WoW players in general are extremely self-entitled spoiled little cunts with no sense of reality or others around them!

I don't think you understood the point of this "argument" at all. See my post above.
    There is no point to this "argument" at all, and that is the point! 200 posts on something that hasn't changed and will probably never change. But hey, lets keep clogging up the internet with more useless drivel! I'm bored at work so I have a few more hours yet.

edit: I'm the 200th useless post in an otherwise useless thread! I win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    My guess is the OP dont really know much about programming....
    Its not as simple as just write a line that say copy this to server X and remove item from server Y. That "line" will most likely ends up a couple hundred lines of codes if not thousand. But thats only for the transfert... Next they have to include this codes in the game itself and that can lead to mannnnnnys issues.

So yeah, in short, the biggest part is programming it but that takes a hell lot of time.
    I never did any game programming, just basic stuff and it would sometime takes me dozens of hours just to find a bug over a 50 pages long prog... i cant even imagine how big wow's code is :')
    I appreciate your insight in how complicated something simple is can actually not be. The biggest issue is server realms were designed to be kept completely separate from one another. When character transfers came out, people assumed moving items was just as easy as moving characters (moving characters isn't easy. That's why they charge you money for it). Now with LFD and LFR being cross-realm and even more now with CRZ, people feel that the tech to move items across realms should be easier now. Unfortunately, it's still not.

I don't know everything regarding the game's innards, but I do know that items when created have a unique ID and they're created on that server. There's a lot of complication when something goes wrong in a character transfer or something else. I once transferred a character of mine with all my BoA's on him and then mailed some of the BoA's to an alt I had on the new realm that just so happened to have the same name as an alt I had on the old realm. The items ended up on that character even though this was 2 weeks after my transfer and I could not get them back over to my new realm toons. It took GM's a couple of weeks to fix it (not to get to my ticket... the ticket was answered in 3 days). Ultimately, they were able to fix it, but it was really hard for them to move just the items back. Creating an in-game interface that could do this tech would be even more complicated, I'm sure. We just need to be patient. Like a lot of ppl have said, it's low priority and a pain to implement.

You know, considering that they can't even let us upgrade / replace our default newbie 16 slot bag without, apparently, completely breaking the entire game and requiring a re-write from the ground up...

I don't find their explanation of multiple technical hurdles to be all that outlandish.

It's just something there isn't a foundation for in the game. That there are multiple technical hurdles implies that it is a great deal more possible and likely than the bag upgrade. I'm certain they could code it pretty easily - they're not stupid. I think it's a matter of coding it safely for the game, so it doesn't break anything else.

WoW is pretty old. They've made a lot of changes and additions to it.

Don't compare newer games adding this sort of things to WoW; most of the newer games are being made with certain additions and changes in mind - developers have learned from Blizzard's mistakes and Blizzard's successes, they know what sorts of features have been more welcome, what sorts of things have worked, they know what sorts of features WoW players want but Blizzard hasn't been able to add, so they can code with certain kinds of changes or additions in mind. I guess I'd call it more modular?

I think I get more deja vu from players than from Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    You know, considering that they can't even let us upgrade / replace our default newbie 16 slot bag without, apparently, completely breaking the entire game and requiring a re-write from the ground up...

I don't find their explanation of multiple technical hurdles to be all that outlandish.
    And that's the fundamental problem. For some unknown reason you've believed in first bullshit overcomplicating something easy enough (backpack upgrade) and now you easily believe anything else as well, because you don't even need further proof for any more believing.

I've personally suggested that there are vendors in the main cities. When you acquire an heirloom, or any BoA item, you get an achievement for it. When you have the achievement for the item, remembering that achievements are now account wide, you can purchase said BoA item from the new vendor for free. Job done.
    RETH

And that's the fundamental problem. For some unknown reason you've believed in first bullshit overcomplicating something easy enough (backpack upgrade) and now you easily believe anything else as well, because you don't even need further proof for any more believing.
    The fundamental problem is that people think that they are always being lied too when they are in reality clueless. For some unknown reason you've believed you've always been bullshitted. I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in your life, but not everybody is out to get you.

The fundamental problem is that people think that they are always being lied too when they are in reality clueless. For some unknown reason you've believed you've always been bullshitted. I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in your life, but not everybody is out to get you.
    Maybe there are two types of people. One that blindly believe, and others who doubt. I don't judge you for believing, but doubting others and known things has certainly paid off more than a few times throughout the history. And I can proudly say I doubt anything laid in front of me without a proof (maybe has something to do with being a mathematician?).

This thread has been derailed so much that this doesn't even come as offtopic anymore.
    Last edited by Cracked; 2012-12-26 at 05:41 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what I'm getting from this thread is that there are a lot of people who want Blizzard to just do everything the quick and dirty way and wind up with a mess of code that gets messier and broken as time goes on.

There are a lot of things that Blizzard wants to do with WoW but because of the way WoW is made or because of how certain aspects of WoW interact with each other it's not really easy. As pointed out above we currently can't upgrade our tiny backpacks, and Blizzard has stated more than once that the inventory system feels dated and they'd like to change that. From the perspective of someone who has worked with this kind of stuff I can think of a dozen ways to accomplish this, but since I don't know how Blizzard's inventory system for WoW is coded I can't say with any certainty that they would work, or what exactly it would take to make it work. It's probably just a hurdle that Blizzard can't justify working on right now when they have things on the table that they consider more important. Unfortunate for people that want to level alts quickly on other servers but not really a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

CRZ/RealID/etc don't really have anything to do with Heirlooms or making the system workable. Real ID is a good example of Blizzard kludging something together and sticking it to WoW with the coding equivalent of massive amounts of duct tape in order to make WoW work with their vision of a unified Battle.net that's more than just chat.

Maybe there are two types of people. One that blindly believe, and others who doubt. I don't judge you for believing, but doubting others and known things has certainly paid off more than a few times throughout the history. And I can proudly say I doubt anything laid in front of me without a proof (maybe has something to do with being a mathematician?).

This thread has been derailed so much that this doesn't even come as offtopic anymore.
    Yes in this case Blizzards proof that they can't easily make heirlooms to send to other realms would involve letting you (and others like you) to look at their code. Which they won't. So anything that Blizzard says from 8 years ago to 8 years from now will all be lies because in your eyes they can't prove otherwise.

And why do people always have to bring up 'history' stuff. This is a video game. This won't change how the world works or what the world thinks or believes. You're not being asked to believe or not believe in global warming. Don't be all drama.

I also never said that I believe them. I could care less if they make bags bigger or make heirlooms cross realm. If I want to roll on another server I will either A) not have heirlooms or B) transfer a toon with heirlooms. That is a choice that I will willingly make. I'm not being forced to do that nor am I being lied to in order to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    No it shows you how they THINK wow servers work.
    That's interesting because the project that I linked...works!