Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    You will get chewed out OP. Here for anything blizz does wrong or say wrong , a hundred white knights come to defend it.
    The OP is clearly in the wrong here.

Do people forget how old this game is? Regardless of the updates made to the engine each expansion, it's still really fucking old.

Some things are just not easily achievable in a cost efficient amount of time and man power.

Idiots with no knowledge of programming need to realize that some things are actually harder to add on to something already existing than to just start from complete scratch.

So much ignorance and assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    You are saying "I am a developer I could walk into Blizzard and Implement Cross Realm Heirlooms in 1 week with no knowledge of your systems and infrastructure, system and infrastructure are the same everywhere"

I am saying "Infrastructure in particular is different from company to company I think there might be some technical issue that I don't understand."

Do you not see how I am saying "maybe there is an issue" but you are saying "there is 100% not an issue code is code, infrastructure is infrastructure".

Don't you think I am being reasonable?
    No. I'm not "could walk and implement", I'm "walking and implementing" on every job I had, and dozens of other programmers I've met in companies working for did too. For some reason you think that this sign of "Zeus programmer". No, it is not some superhero feat, the task of "atomically transfer data between two arbitrary databases with possible format conversion" is just that common, that specific details particular to this specific implementation could be worked in around a week or two. This very seconds billions of such transactions are performed around the world in banks, knowledge bases, mail storages... hell, everywhere! It is most common task for DBs right after key->value lookup. But somehow, in SINGLE CASE IN ENTIRE WORLD, in Blizzard it is something legendary and unfathomable! Yeah, right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Thats why we have a thing called "documentation" so you can see what methods a class has and what they do.
    Your only talking about code.

Do you really think I am that naive to think that Blizzard have developed their own language to code WoW in?

I am saying that a game as big as WoW is about much more that just code it is also about how the hardware and network lay out.

Do you not think there is even a 1% chance that there is something in the network and server layout that would cause technical humps for transferring an item in game from one toon on one server to another toon on another server? (this is the ideal solution).

Or are you that naive to think that WoW is n clients --> n servers --> 1 database?

Anyway it obvious you guys are right and I am just an idiot, and you are the most amazing devs in the world!

I bow down to your overwhelming development.

Will leave you alone now.
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2012-12-27 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    The OP is clearly in the wrong here.
    Do people forget how old this game is? Regardless of the updates made to the engine each expansion, it's still really fucking old.
    Some things are just not easily achievable in a cost efficient amount of time and man power.
    Idiots with no knowledge of programming need to realize that some things are actually harder to add on to something already existing than to just start from complete scratch.

So much ignorance and assumption.
    You must imagine "engine" as some artifact inside heart of Blizzard building with ancient scriptures installed on it that tells exactly what it can and what I absolutely can't. Too bad you're just another clueless "this is magic" guy.

Just remembered how I was reading our player's fantasies on that BMMO forum where I worked before about how code works. Well, they're suspiciously similar to what I'm reading right now.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-27 at 12:05 AM.

The only thing in WoW that even functions server to server is a character transfer which happens on Blizzards end and take a fair bit of time as well.

Clearly their server to server tech is pretty out of date and limited. This is another part of why server to server mail isn't possible at this time.

Again, this entire concept would be much easier if this was a brand new game and not an already existing product.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    You must imagine "engine" as some artifact inside heart of Blizzard building with ancient scriptures installed on it that tells exactly what it can and what I absolutely can't. Too bad you're just another clueless "this is magic" guy.
    I've been a programmer for 6 years, there is no magic involved. Limitations are absolutely 100% a very real thing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think its mostly the lost money from server transfers, but I believe there are some technical problems as well. To blizzard its like( hmm we could do it and spend 2 weeks programming it and lose transfer money, or we could save it for the rainy day idea box).

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Your only talking about code.

Do you really think I am that naive to think that Blizzard have developed their own language to code WoW in?

I am saying that a game as big as WoW is about much more that just code it is also about how the hardware and network lay out.

Do you not think there is even a 1% chance that there is something in the network and server layout that would cause technical humps for transferring an item in game from one toon on one server to another toon on another server? (this is the ideal solution).

Or are you that naive to think that WoW is n clients --> n servers --> 1 database?

Anyway it obvious you guys are right and I am just an idiot, and you are the most amazing devs in the world!

I bow down to your overwhelming development.

Will leave you alone now.
    Nah, the most amazing devs in the world are from Blizzard

But no, there are at least 2 different databases: a login database and a world database.

My solution:
    1. Make them achievment-like (Just not show up as an achievment, more like when you complete a series of quests) upon purchase / convert existing
    2. Make a NPC in the beginner Zones who then will "sell" these as BOP Heirlooms for free if you have earned the "achievment"
    3. Problem solved

OR

Just make them "learnable" like Mounts/Pets giving us a Tab or something

Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    My solution:
    1. Make them achievment-like (Just not show up as an achievment, more like when you complete a series of quests) upon purchase / convert existing
    2. Make a NPC in the beginner Zones who then will "sell" these as BOP Heirlooms for free if you have earned the "achievment"
    3. Problem solved

OR

Just make them "learnable" like Mounts/Pets giving us a Tab or something
    There have been plenty of workable solutions to transferring heirlooms, like these, suggested over the years and yet Blizzard insist only way is to send them through the mail and that is not possible.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you don't have a clue about what you're arguing about, don't argue about it. You'll look like an idiot, but it's too late for that!

The network code, game engine and what not is very very old, it's perfectly understandable you can't just strap onto all these random features and hit the go button.

And just because you do know basic SQL, does not mean the answer is a query here and there, cause it makes sense to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    When you don't have a clue about what you're arguing about, don't argue about it. You'll look like an idiot, but it's too late for that!
    That's precisely what you are doing.

The network code, game engine and what not is very very old, it's perfectly understandable you can't just strap onto all these random features and hit the go button.
    Yes, you can.

And just because you do know basic SQL, does not mean the answer is a query here and there, cause it makes sense to you.
    Check thread for short list of my experiences. 15+ years, country scale realtime highload projects (and when I say highload, that means starting from 10m requests per day at very least). Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

Fuck, at last BMMO it took month to COMPLETELY convert entire cross-server banking system for all players from custom no-SQL solution to new, better organized storage, seamlessly supporting both formats and converting it on the fly just as player accessed it for the first time and you're telling me that transfering one measly item is anywhere even close in complexity? Or... even harder?
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-27 at 01:40 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    That's precisely what you are doing.

Yes, you can.

Check thread for short list of my experiences. 15+ years, country scale realtime highload projects (and when I say highload, that means starting from 10m requests per day at very least). Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

Fuck, at last BMMO it took month to COMPLETELY convert entire cross-server banking system for all players from custom no-SQL solution to new, better organized storage, seamlessly supporting both formats and converting it on the fly just as player accessed it for the first time and you're telling me that transfering one measly item is anywhere even close in complexity? Or... even harder?

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/index.html

Who is BMMO and how many accounts are we dealing with there?

Are you suggesting, by any chance, that Blizzard is the single good job in the entire world for good programmer?

Who is BMMO and how many accounts are we dealing with there?
    I don't have access to actual stats right now since I left last April, but I remember last active accounts (logged in last month) dump was about 150k. Right now it goes just half as active as Russian server of "Perfect World" and beats "Allods Online", according to 3rd party counters.
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2012-12-27 at 02:17 AM.

Though I know nothing about technical, programming, or basically anything that has to do with servers, if achievements can be tracked across battle.net, one solution may be to record/note what pieces players have bought so far on their main's realm, and have vendors selling BoA gear at starting zones or 1c. Like I stated, I don't know if that would be possible to record what people have bought or not, however I would think that would be an easier solution that attempting to deal with the technical issues of mailing items across realm.

How come it's so far fetched to believe that Blizzard just doesn't really care that much, and is just giving a stock answer until they eventually get around to caring about a, relatively speaking, minor issue? It's not like companies don't do that :x They all do :x

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    My guess is the OP dont really know much about programming....
    Its not as simple as just write a line that say copy this to server X and remove item from server Y. That "line" will most likely ends up a couple hundred lines of codes if not thousand. But thats only for the transfert... Next they have to include this codes in the game itself and that can lead to mannnnnnys issues.

So yeah, in short, the biggest part is programming it but that takes a hell lot of time.
    I never did any game programming, just basic stuff and it would sometime takes me dozens of hours just to find a bug over a 50 pages long prog... i cant even imagine how big wow's code is :')
    I just doesn't need to be mailed... they could use the same technical solutions as mounts and pets... those where mailable once.... now that are shared cross-realm.
    Why is it impossible to do this with heirlooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I just doesn't need to be mailed... they could use the same technical solutions as mounts and pets... those where mailable once.... now that are shared cross-realm.
    Why is it impossible to do this with heirlooms?
    20 euro/dollar makes it impossible
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Sadly, this is one of the things that upset me most about WoW, the slow patch cycles, the lack of post max-level content in Cataclysm. It's when I just gave up and lost faith in WoW. The promises that became "let-downs" (eg path of titans), the seeming inability to fix seemingly simple things (character models, graphics). The excuses about "not having enough resources" - which is friggin' ludicrous.

Judging by my new experiences, some other mmo's just get on with it and "do it" in a hotfix or a content patch. I love WoW, but just can't stand to be treated like a person who should be grateful for anything I get given - and not a paying customer who pays for service. I have experienced both now and I truly understand and appreciate the difference.
    Someone clearly doesn't pay attention to the front page. The SECOND content patch of MoP will hit in a couple of months, this is exactly what we were promised and they are sticking to it. They have also hotfixed a lot of stuff since MoP has been released.

The main reason why they aren't working on this is because of the revenue it generates. Lazy players always opt for the easy option, lazy players with jobs or some kind of income will spend the money to transfer an alt with the heirlooms. It's good business, and personally I don't really care about it.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Until Blizz creates "Battle.net achievements" and adds an interplay between those achievements and WoW, it won't happen.

Then buying an heirloom triggers a B-Net Achievement that allows you to get it free from the Achievement Item vendor.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Impossible or technical difficulties??? no, I believe Blizz already had solution a long time ago. if they do then mean less peoples will use pay Server Transfer.

so Blizz rather us to use pay Server Transfer.