Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

King of Unhealthy

Hi everyone, I'm the most unhealthy person alive. Seriously though.

I desperately want to change my ways. I've been trying out this video the last couple of days:

The thing is, whenever I do this 7 minute exercise, my heart starts pumping like it's going to explode. This makes me wonder if it is actually healthy to do this in my situation.

Please help me get my act together!
    Last edited by mmoc911635af16; 2013-04-23 at 12:47 AM.

Is this a thread or a advertisement cleverly disguised

I cant tell anymore

Deleted
    That's because your heart is working hard for the first time in a long time. Just make sure you do an intensive and thorough warm up - gradually increase your heart-rate to near working rate, don't just blow straight into a full-blown workout.

Also, It's almost new year and:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Is this a thread or a advertisement cleverly disguised
    It's a thread =)

I realize there's an overload of this types of videos, but I posted it just as an example: a very basic work-out, which makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by JW1984BE View Post
    It's a thread =)

I realize there's an overload of this types of videos, but I posted it just as an example: a very basic work-out, which makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.
    Thats cool its just seems to be a deluge of threads with videos that dont go anywhere but is a obvious attempt to advertise to views

OT: As someone who has abused his body for years all i can say is just learn moderation and take it slow

dont snack take brisk walks dont watch your weight just enjoy life

A watch kettle never boils thats the advice i gave someone who fretted about her weight for years i told her just cut the snacking dont drink fizzy drinks and generally just say who gives a fuck and eventually the weight did gradually fall off

At the end of the day just enjoy life if you think you over do shit then just moderate it

I would say start by just taking a nice walk around town every day, get your heart going a bit so that it can get used to working through physical activity again. Increase the distance and speed that you go over time, it'll help you out.

Also, EAT BREAKFAST! It's the most important meal of the day, even if it's a poptart or something, it's still better than eating nothing. If you really want to get healthier, stop smoking, stop drinking nearly that much coffee (you will have a major headache) and start drinking water instead. I'm not the healthiest person ever by any means, but yeah.

You want to get in shape?

Start biking to work. The average bike commuter loses thirty (30) pounds in their first year of cycling just to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anderekel View Post
    I would say start by just taking a nice walk around town every day, get your heart going a bit so that it can get used to working through physical activity again. Increase the distance and speed that you go over time, it'll help you out.

Also, EAT BREAKFAST! It's the most important meal of the day, even if it's a poptart or something, it's still better than eating nothing. If you really want to get healthier, stop smoking, stop drinking nearly that much coffee (you will have a major headache) and start drinking water instead. I'm not the healthiest person ever by any means, but yeah.
    Ok, yes, breakfast is important - one thing to note though.. If you do eat breakfast, make sure it's not too high in sugars / carbs. Bear in mind you've probably not eaten for 8-12hours by the time you have breakfast if you eat a high sugar/carb breakfast your insulin levels will go through the roof and you'll just throw your blood sugars out.

Hence the reason that a lot of people say they don't like eating breakfast because it makes them really hungry by half 10/11 o'clock.

perfect breakfast? Scrambled eggs / Omelette!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anderekel View Post

It's funny though. I always skip breakfast on purpose. It makes it really easy and effortless to eat 1300-1500 calories a day. If I do eat it, it actually makes me hungrier and more tired and lowers willpower and when it's time for lunch I'd still have to eat as much for the hungry feeling to go away.

Why is breakfast considered important anyway by some? I've never understood that. I eat healthy more or less and have never had any problems when skipping it and I've done it for over 10 years now, I think, since 3th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    It's funny though. I always skip breakfast on purpose. It makes it really easy and effortless to eat 1300-1500 calories a day. If I do eat it, it actually makes me hungrier and more tired and lowers willpower and when it's time for lunch I'd still have to eat as much for the hungry feeling to go away.

Why is breakfast considered important anyway by some? I've never understood that. I eat healthy more or less and have never had any problems when skipping it and I've done it for over 10 years now, I think, since 3th grade.
    The only problem is that by skipping meals it causes your metabolism to slow.

Start with the easiest thing. No more sugar in coffee. I actually use coffee to kinda deflect my urge for cola.
    Also, studies show that drinking more than 10 cups of coffee a day leads to heart problems.

The description of how you look describes how I looked before I started working out. This is the biggest mistake I made when I started worrying about my body. I thought if I looked hard enough, I would find easy ways to lose weight or get muscle tone. This only puts you off for longer than necessary. It's hard, but you get used to it.
    What I do now is, I work out every day in my home, I bought handweights and a floor mat. The trick is making it a habit. In my experience it takes about 2-3 weeks to create a habit, and studies on the subject of creating habits have made it easy for everyone to do.
    Habit creation goes like this:

For me it's like this:
    Cue - I set fixed clock hours every day
    Routine - Work out until you can't move from sheer pain
    Reward - Protien shake with vanilla taste (Knowing that I can only get this godlike deliciousness after workout, and only once a day, is enough to keep me going)

After a while of forcing yourself to do this routine, well. It's complicated how the brain works, but basically studies show that the feeling of happines that you're reward gives you is, once this is an established habit, gained much earlier. Meaning you get your dopamine rush when you start working out instead of when you're done, because your brain anticipates the reward.

Bottom line: There is no shortcut. Work hard or stay ugly. It's a harsh truth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Hence the reason that a lot of people say they don't like eating breakfast because it makes them really hungry by half 10/11 o'clock.
    Well, there you go. Generally traditional breakfasts advertised, sold and served are very high in Carbohydrates and sugar. Switch to protein for your first meal, it'll fill you up for longer, won't spike blood sugar and will see you through until lunch. It'll also build muscle in the process. Any excuse to eat Bacon and Eggs first thing in the morning!

Breakfast is an important meal - since you're in a fasted state when you eat it. It helps regulate blood sugar levels, keep your metabolism high and maintain energy levels at a relative constant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The only problem is that by skipping meals it causes your metabolism to slow.
    So it's not unhealthy? I'm not overweight now and probably won't be with my current diet. I don't eat meat, sugar and keep carbohydrates to a minimum. So it's mostly tofu, fresh fruit, salads etc.

Deleted
    Moved to Sports & Fitness Forum.

Rather than trying to follow someone else's video and possibly hurting yourself, start using your own body as a timer. Watch the video for ideas on what to do, but pay attention to your own breathing and heart rate - when you feel like you're working hard but not "OMG someone call 911 I'm about to have a heart attack," you're good. Stay there until your muscles are too tired to do any more, then push for just one more minute. If the video is still going, that's fine. If it ended 10 minutes ago, that's fine too. Your goal with this would be to go a little further, a little faster, than you did last time. Set time and intensity based on your own body, and use beating your past performance as the measure of success. Once you're in better shape, then you can start pushing harder and doing other types of exercise with less chance of hurting yourself.

This is the time of the year where the least amount of people jog around my town. Starting january 1st, the streets will be crowded again. I'm very motivated to do something about my unhealthy ways, but I don't know where to start.

Short description of me. I wake up and smoke a cigaret right away. I don't have breakfast; instead I drink coffee all day long (about 4 liters, with a total of 45 sugar lumps a day) until it's evening. Then I have my one and only meal of the day: potatoes and meat, with an absolute minimum of vegetables. At night I eat fatty foods until about 2-3 am when i go to sleep. I don't do any kind of physical movement, except going up and down my stairs. I smoke about 25 cigarettes a day.

This has been going on for about 5 years. I desperately want to change my ways. For example, could all that sugar get me in diabetic trouble?

I've been trying out this video the last couple of days:

The thing is, whenever I do this 7 minute exercise, my heart starts pumping like it's going to explode. This makes me wonder if it is actually healthy to do this in my situation.

I'm not actually fat, I look normal; but i'm just very 'puddingy' without any tone of any sort. Also, I'm tired from the slightest walk.

In your situation I would try and do something about the cigarettes and food before i started with the exercise.

Stress and boredom is the biggest problems when it comes to dropping the smokes so I would make sure you had something to keep your hands occupied for when you are sitting down, and lets face it you can't jerk off all the time so one of those squishy balls might be the solution. Try some nicotine chewing gum. Really whatever works for you as long as you stop smoking.

When it comes to unhealthy food it might be a idea, if you have some time on your hands, to take some cooking classes and try to learn making some proper meals. If you were able to split the meals up into three-four that would go a long way as well. You don't have to count calories or anything like that just try and round of your dinner, breakfast or whatever. Bacon, eggs, bred, tomato and cucumbers for breakfast for example.

Try your best to cut out soda, if you are a big drinker of that. Sugary drinks like that is the number one reason for obesity. Water, fruit juices, milk or something along those lines would be great.

When it comes to exercise I would just try and get some long nice walks in to start the whole thing off. Get some fresh air and healthy exercise. Try and set a goal for your walk.

If you get those things under control then I would start worrying about exercise. Get a personal trainer to set you up a starter program because telling you what would fit you without seeing you in action is impossible.

So it's not unhealthy? I'm not overweight now and probably won't be with my current diet. I don't eat meat, sugar and keep carbohydrates to a minimum. So it's mostly tofu, fresh fruit, salads etc.
    Thing is, when you wake up your body has been without nutrition for roughly 8 hours, and is desperate for something to fuel muscle growth... such as protein and slow carbohydrates!
    If you're feeling more tired and slow / bloated after breakfast, you're most likely eating the wrong things :P I usually have a nice big bowl of home-made oatmeal (just coarse oats, nothing processed) with a tiny bit of homemade low-sugar apple sauce and 2 large glasses of water + a coffee =P
    Edit: Just noticed you seem to be skipping *all* carbohydrates, which I really think is a mistake... eat some carbohydrates, but the right kind! Whole grain, unprocessed and fiber-rich =) should energize you!

This is the time of the year where the least amount of people jog around my town. Starting january 1st, the streets will be crowded again. I'm very motivated to do something about my unhealthy ways, but I don't know where to start.

Short description of me. I wake up and smoke a cigaret right away. I don't have breakfast; instead I drink coffee all day long (about 4 liters, with a total of 45 sugar lumps a day) until it's evening. Then I have my one and only meal of the day: potatoes and meat, with an absolute minimum of vegetables. At night I eat fatty foods until about 2-3 am when i go to sleep. I don't do any kind of physical movement, except going up and down my stairs. I smoke about 25 cigarettes a day.

This has been going on for about 5 years. I desperately want to change my ways. For example, could all that sugar get me in diabetic trouble?

I've been trying out this video the last couple of days:

I'm not actually fat, I look normal; but i'm just very 'puddingy' without any tone of any sort. Also, I'm tired from the slightest walk.

If I were you, I'd start with dietary/lifestyle choices before implementing a workout.

Reduce the nicotine/caffeine intake. Don't go cold turkey because you might rebound harder than before, but keep track of how many cigarettes and how much coffee you drink per day, then try to reduce that amount on a daily, or every other day, basis.

Start with taking brisk walks at a pace that you can hold a conversation without panting and wheezing. After your walk, if you feel up to it, do a few pushups.

Start eating breakfast (few eggs, Canadian bacon, oatmeal, etc). I personally found that if I eat breakfast, I'm less likely to indulge in junk food later. Eat carbohydrates sparingly, and try to stick with fruits and vegetables as your carb sources instead of really starchy things like potatoes.

Remember-- weight loss and lifestyle change isn't a sprint; it's a marathon. You have to pace yourself.

Because you are not suppose to eat anything later then two hours before you go to bed which means that when you weak up your body is gonna need a refill of all sort off stuff. Neither body nor mind are functioning optimally before that. If you don't have to do anything demanding before lunch I guess ti doesn't matter as much but I can't imagine functioning properly without a meal to start my day off.

Deleted
    Start by walking a lot, walk to the store, to your work, to the pub, ... . The further the better.