Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by saffi View Post
    Ironically, I think the only people who hate the RLD are people who live there and have to wade through tourists everyday. And I don't think they hate it on the basis of it being the RLD: they just hate the sex tourists :P
    Wouldn't people who live in the RLD be like, those, working in the RLD? Seems to be the case where I live. Though for us it's just one commercial zoned street. Um, or so I heard.

Deleted
    Holland is a province, Netherlands is the word you should use.

Everyone that disagrees with that is a old redneck farmer wearing wooden shoes and a cheese addict

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pouca View Post
    Germany as the center of Europe is the country with the more variability in the names given by their neighbours, latin, german, slavic etc. You'll find that on Wikipedia.
    My tongue-in-cheek response apparently wasn't obvious. And the name "nemecek" in its variations is actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Wouldn't people who live in the RLD be like, those, working in the RLD? Seems to be the case where I live. Though for us it's just one commercial zoned street. Um, or so I heard.
    *cough* bullets *cough*?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I didn't make myself clear enough I think..by "people who live there", I didn't mean directly in the RLD although some people do live there without working there. But in general I meant people who have to go through the RLD to get to work everyday. There are a lot of those :P

I'm Frisian, so calling me 'hollander' is a grave insult.
    So I'm from the Netherlands, and I'm Dutch.

Funny thing: I know a lot of people from Rotterdam who get offended when anyone refers to them as 'hollander.' Even though Rotterdam is geographically in Holland, they're quite prone to anger when people remind them.

So it's probably important to note that the Netherlands is quite divided, and quite a lot of people in the Netherlands really dislike Holland. Mostly, this is because of civil wars and such way back.

Deleted
    I call it either Low countries or Holland because "the Netherlands" doesn't exist in my language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    My tongue-in-cheek response apparently wasn't obvious. And the name "nemecek" in its variations is actually funny.
    How about this... in Slavic languages (mine included), the root word of the word that's used for Germany means "mute". Because of that, in my language, there's no difference between the words used for a mute person and a German person; Nijemac. Actually, sorry, a mute person is njemac. The pronunciation is identical though.

To make matters worse, in my language, Germans are sometimes called Švabi, after the region of Swabia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    holland is where the prostitutes and junkies live. The Netherlands is the normal country that is embarassed of Amsterdam
    Speak for yourself.

About the RLD in Amsterdam. In the last years a lot of brothels have been closed. Also the city council of Amsterdam is going to reduce more of the RLD.

Central Station is great fun to photobomb asians.

Deleted
    In Romania we call you Olanda.
    On the other hand, we also call the UK Anglia
    And of course, we call Switzerland Elvetia. Because we can.

So, in general, sometimes when talking online I traduce is wrong, as Holland instead of Netherlands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    And of course, we call Switzerland Elvetia.
    Also, in Romania Swiss people look like this:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    In Romania we call you Olanda.
    On the other hand, we also call the UK Anglia
    And of course, we call Switzerland Elvetia. Because we can.
    Which is not even farfetched. Confoederatio Helvetica is the latin name for Switzerland. They even have that on their coins.