Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kaka - shit
    Haere mai - welcome
    Hei konā rā - goodbye
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

"hyggelig"

Kinda like "gemütlichkeit" but not quite. It is a state of comfort and ease - like the feeling you have when you are with your best of friends or christmas eve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    wouldnt that just be cozy?

i cant think of any on the top of my head :O
    Nah man, doesn't even compare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    As someone in California who speaks English, I can assure you we have regional words which baffle people who are not use to the way Californians actually speak.

ie: 'sup = Which is said with a nod of the head and a squint of the eyes, depending on the tone it can mean several things:

'sup (mild eyebrow wink,left to right head bob): I have weed, want to get high?
    'sup (with a grimace looking at the others body): Lets have sex.
    'sup (with mild shoulder and hand movement): Hey, what are you doing I'm going to get some beers want to join?

Also combined with 'Yo' which has as many varied meanings, you might hear two Californians have a conversation that looks like this.

Yo'sup (slight shoulder with a double head lift and eyebrow raise): Hello, I see you got the beer, I got fresh God’s Gift.
    Dude! (with a quick thumbs up): Hello, I see it's time to get baked.

I hope this helps. We also have many other words and phrases just for ordering fast food, going on a date, driving, outdoor sports and club going.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-26 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I hope this helps. We also have many other words and phrases just for ordering fast food, going on a date, driving, outdoor sports and club going.
    Huh... no wonder things always seem to fly by me with spoken English. Evil, confusing Americans....

Quote Originally Posted by Alkestis View Post
    Yeah, I did sort of figure it was just popular thinking. Never bothered going through wiki for it though, found "Saudade is a difficult word to translate precisely. It is said to be the only exact equivalent of the Welsh hiraeth and the Cornish hireth." so I guess tęsknota isn't exactly the same.
    Tęsknota is simply the feeling of missing someone or something, so unless Saudade means something more than just that, they should be exact translations but I don't know Saudade and upon searching on Wiki it seems to be something more deep or something, didn't bother read the article though

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Serbia we have "inat".No English translation,it can be described as doing something in spite all rational reasons someone could give you to not do that certain thing.Really interesting word,and usually describes Serbian people entirely.

I think "saft" (from Swedish) doesn't have an English equivalent... it's a kind of concentrated and sugary fruit juice which is mixed with water :P

rumpnisse = a little person with a large butt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    What unique words do you have in your language? Like in Swedish, where we have the most awesome word ever: "lagom", which doesn't have a direct English equalivent but basically means something that is okay, in the middle. Like if something is "lagom" cooked, it means it's okay cooked, it's as cooked as it should be.

So what unique words exist out there?
    I think there are other languages with similar words to "lagom", though none of them is in Europe.

There is "smörgåsbord" from Swedish, I think it's entirely unique. It's even used in english as smorgasbord.

There is schadenfreude from German, I think it's pretty unique.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    I think "saft" (from Swedish) doesn't have an English equivalent... it's a kind of concentrated and sugary fruit juice which is mixed with water :P
    Lemonade/Soft drink.

Not a direct translation, but describes the same thing.

Deleted
    Is bugger a unique word? To English.

Bap = Bread Roll

Clunge = vagina

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Oh. So many good ones.

Teuchter - Essentially means 'Highlander', but the general idea of it is 'Moron'.
    Haha, is that how you spell it? My mother's Scottish, she taught me that one when I was a wee bairn. Ya Heeland teuchter!!!

She also taught me "toerag" (insult), which she said was the little bit of gross loose skin you get when you stub your toe. But apparently it's in reference to beggars using rags as makeshift socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxna View Post
    Gobshite - someone who speaks nothing but bullshit all the time (gob - mouth and shite - shit) :P
    One of my all-time favourite words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I guess, Swedish women do enjoy foreign people after all, so could be useful.

Uh huh, in my friend circle none does. :[

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if anyone outside of Canada uses "Clicks" as a word for kilometre.

"Its about 100 clicks that way"

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    Sounds like Drink. See video:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Uh huh, in my friend circle none does. :[
    Lies, all the Swedish chicks love English guys!

Also my favourite is a Window-licker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

I know people in the military use that. Although your average American won't say Clicks, because we use miles instead of kilometers.

Since no one wants to say it.... swag and YOLO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Is bugger a unique word? To English.

Bap = Bread Roll

Clunge = vagina

Bugger is an England English word, in the US we call that Sodomize.

Ba - A bosnian word that no-one can explain the meaning of but at the same time everyone uses it lol.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

Every anglosphere military uses that. Speaking of Military, heres a few I know.

Tab: Can mean cigarette or long march.
    Yomp: Long March.
    Oggin: Ocean or Sea.
    Wet: Drink, usually a hot drink.
    Rupert: Officer.
    Full screw: Corporal.
    Half Screw: Lance Corporal.
    Lance Jack : Lance corporal.
    The Badge: Regimental Sergeant Major.
    Jankers: Means punishment detail.
    Crow: New to the military, this is because new recruits hunch their shoulders when wet and cold, looking like giant crows.
    Sprog: Also a new recruit, can also mean baby or child.