Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is the social aspect of wow dead?

Back in the day guildchat was always alive, people were chatting in /say in towns and there was friendly banter in parties. Now Im in multiple guilds across several realms and barely anyone says a word. I dont even remember when tge last time I met someone new in wow. So is it just me or is the social aspect of wow dead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, server to sever is very different. my server has many active guilds and pugs and such. And no guild I am in is silent, ever. Mostly the silent ones are leveling guilds that take anyone just while they're leveling
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    H. L. Mencken

It has died off a lot for sure, and its mainly LFD and LFR to blame for. But even before, the community wasn't all that great, but atleast they still had to be friendly in order to make their own raids and parties. And ninja's would actually get punished for being in the same realm, spamming the trade chat that no one should be running with the ninja.

During vanilla, people were very helpfull FROM MY EXPERIENCE. Whenever people were questing in the same zone, they often offered me to quest together. I don't see it nowadays

Meh, my guild is very active. And I meet new people all the time. Social aspects are player dependent. If you feel like it's dead - it's most likely because you are not being social.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild is still pretty chatty.

I agree Party however doesn't speak much anymore, but then, people generally go for the efficiency run, even if it is a full server group, it would have been the same. It is more like back in the days, everyone was more laid back and just happy to have a group to party with, hence they would be more chatty and try to find friends that next time they can group together again. Now finding a group isn't the issue anymore, so naturally people moved onto how quickly and efficiently the run can go, and typing usually slows that down.

Social aspect isn't dead, just in party and such people just wanted to focus on efficiency that's all. Guild and /2 still pretty chatty for me.

im enjoying the game more than ever from a social aspect, mostly due to cross realm stuff. try openraid/getting a better guild.

The game got more social, people got less social.

It's players that create barriers between each other, not the game.

Deleted
    Yes it is. There might be some exceptions but in general the social aspect is a shade of its former self
    - boredom
    - disconnection with the immersion aspect of the game
    - lfr/lfd - all the elements introduced that make everything so automatic and mundane.

I find that even though guild chat may not be very active nearly all the guilds that I've been in have a vent channel that usually has at least a couple of people in it during normal hours. So I don't think the social aspect is dead it's one of the main reasons I keep playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haté View Post
    The game got more social, people got less social.

It's players that create barriers between each other, not the game.
    Nice try Wow devs..

Deleted
    The truth is that since after so long, missing the kindness, helping players while traveling on foot or horseback than 40%, the magic veil that disappeared years ago.

Now there is only greed, hatred and envy, not greet you by joining groups or raid, and if they do it is because you say hello first. Now it's all a run kills and Equip.

Deleted
    Everyone is on their TS/Mumble/Ventrillo/Whatever. And if you are in exping guilds, that also do a thing.

---------- Post added 2012-12-26 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Herea View Post
    The truth is that since after so long, missing the kindness, helping players while traveling on foot or horseback than 40%, the magic veil that disappeared years ago.

Now there is only greed, hatred and envy, not greet you by joining groups or raid, and if they do it is because you say hello first. Now it's all a run kills and Equip.
    You remind me of those people that screms every Christmas that Christmas became "corrupted" by greed, hatred and envy. And take that Rose-Collored Glasses off please. I play since Vanilla and community wasn't that great.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not dead, but the social aspect of this game surely is much worse than it used to be. During vanilla and bc people were much more kind, civil and helpful.
    And please, if you never played during those days, please don't try to refute this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smaller communities tend to be more friendly communities generally. I don't believe that there was ever a time when General was unicorns and roses but I think it's true that people are less chatty now. Some of that seems to be about efficiency and getting things done instead of stopping long enough to have a nice chat with someone. This still happens in randoms but it's a little more rare than it used to be. People are in such a hurry and usually there will always be at one least one person who is all about "Shut up and let's get this finished."

Why people need to be so much in a hurry in a game that is supposed to be for fun is another thread but it's a good question and relates a lot to this.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Robot arms apartment building, New New York
    As far as I'm concerned this is entirely the fault of the LFD and other features of that ilk.
    I've always thought the original LFG system was the best; it just put you in a group and then 2 people would go to the summoning stone. This left a full group with some time before the start of a run, so naturally this sparked conversation. It also meant that people were far less likely to drop group once it got going, due the time already invested in the run.
    The cross faction shit nowadays only exacerbates the problem. I met most of my in game friends from pugging off of the LFG or shouting in trade for groups, and subsequently encountering the same people over and over again.

Also flying mounts can fuck off, we never see azeroth anymore. not that anyone's out there anymore now that LFD ports you directly to the instance.

No, it isn't.

/thread

Deleted
    Dead? No. Dying? Sort of. Much less social then pervious WoW? Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    It's not dead, but the social aspect of this game surely is much worse than it used to be. During vanilla and bc people were much more kind, civil and helpful.
    And please, if you never played during those days, please don't try to refute this.
    uh no. I've been playing since release and people were dicks in vanilla and they are still dicks now. Take off the rose colored glasses.

Deleted
    Yeah, namechange, faction change, character overhaul, LFR, LFD, and now CRZ.

This game has been out a long time in the life of a online game and ppl are kinda jaded and to some its a bit stale. Ppl take breaks now and again and come back to enjoy it with a fresh perspective. It is what it is a game thats been out a long time but far from dead.