Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Factory restoring my PC, will WoW be OK?

Hi people, just a couple of questions...

I'm factory restoring my PC soon and upgrading to windows 7, I'll be backing up all my pictures, music and game saves to an external hard drive before hand though.

But I want to know will deleting all my wow files affect my charecters or reinstalling wow again?

Also what will be the best way to re-install wow again? Through online or using my wow tbc WOTLK and cata discs or what?

Furthermore, got any advice for me?

Cheers, Conor.

no, everything involving your characters is saved on their servers.
    Minus your addons, keybindings may be gone too.
    install via the wow install programm from the official blizzard site, its the fastest,

It won't affect your characters at all, but you will have to install all expansions AND patches. I would install through battle net, if it were me, since I no longer have any of my discs.

Reinstall WoW through the online client.

To preserve your addon settings and all of that good stuff, backup your WTF and Interface folders.

Deleted
    You can backup the WoW installation folder too, no need to install it again after you put on Windows 7 if you do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deleting your WoW files should only affect settings for any addons you used. If I am not mistaken, your keybinds are saved server side so those should be set when you reinstall WoW. I'd recommend doing disc installations if you can, but in the end you will be downloading a lot of patches anyways.

Just downloading the client online from battle.net is probably the easiest way to reacquire your WoW client these days.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Deleting your WoW files should only affect settings for any addons you used. If I am not mistaken, your keybinds are saved server side so those should be set when you reinstall WoW. I'd recommend doing disc installations if you can, but in the end you will be downloading a lot of patches anyways.
    if you use the latest wow installer, all the patches minus the recent ones are downloaded automatically.

If you use the curse client you can subscribe to their premium service which features addon settings backup and cross computer addon and settings sync (Which is amazing for those of us that manage WoW installs on more than one machine)
    Two things to remember:
    1. "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." - AE
    2. “You can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking you used when you created them.” - Also AE

Deleted
    Thanks for the responses guys, i will most likely just reinstall all my curse addons and program's anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Santos De Amor View Post
    no, everything involving your characters is saved on their servers.
    Minus your addons, keybindings may be gone too.
    install via the wow install programm from the official blizzard site, its the fastest,
    Your keybinds and macros are server sided too.

Addons and addon settings are saved in your installation folder.

Since World of Warcraft is portable, you can back up the entire folder onto an external hard drive (if you have the space). The only downside to a portable WoW is that you lose the registry settings WoW installs with so Curse won't be able to 'automatically' find your WoW installation the first time.

PS - All of Blizzard's recent games are portable. I've been playing WoW, WoW PTR, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 off of my external hard drive for the longest time. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on an external though. Seek times on a portable hard drive isn't fast enough for games so you'll experience random freezes when the game needs to load something new (like an icon for that new epic that just dropped).
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-12-26 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos De Amor View Post
    if you use the latest wow installer, all the patches minus the recent ones are downloaded automatically.
    Nifty, then I guess it depends solely on internet speed/bandwidth. Discs would be a poor choice unless you are on a shoddy connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nifty, then I guess it depends solely on internet speed/bandwidth
    I imagine most people who can't download wow reliably, probably can't play it reliably either.

Any bottom of the barrel DSL/Cable is perfectly fine, so unless he's on dialup, or literally a shoddy 3G/Sat/EVDO connection....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I imagine most people who can't download wow reliably, probably can't play it reliably either.

Any bottom of the barrel DSL/Cable is perfectly fine, so unless he's on dialup, or literally a shoddy 3G/Sat/EVDO connection....
    I'm on 37Mbps upload and 3.05Mbps upload, how's that?

the biggest thing you will lose is bindings and macros.

Copy the wtf folder minus the config.wtf if you wish and place it in the new wow directory on restore, you wont lose any this way

Deleted
    Il probably delete it all just for a fresh start

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Your in a good spot with that. Shouldn't take "too" long.

Deleted
    If you are backing up pictures etc, do the same with your WoW folder. It is completely portable and as long as the game is in its original folder "World of Warcraft" it will work the same as it did before with all of your addons as well.

Just go to where your World of Warcraft folder is.
    Copy 'World of Warcraft'
    Paste it onto your external.

When you are done with your restore simply copy the folder (any where you want, but to keep it simple you can just put it back where you found it).
    If the shortcuts have been removed, just open your WoW folder, press Windows+Right Arrow (So you can see the desktop easier), right click drag the Launcher.exe to the desktop and select "Create Shortcut".

Everything will work as it did before.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 03:38 AM ----------

Roughly 22gb to download (Used to be 28, I guess they tweaked a bit to reduce the size), it will take you around 2 hours at 3.4 MBps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    If you are backing up pictures etc, do the same with your WoW folder. It is completely portable and as long as the game is in its original folder "World of Warcraft" it will work the same as it did before with all of your addons as well.

Just go to where your World of Warcraft folder is.
    Copy 'World of Warcraft'
    Paste it onto your external.

When you are done with your restore simply copy the folder (any where you want, but to keep it simple you can just put it back where you found it).
    If the shortcuts have been removed, just open your WoW folder, press Windows+Right Arrow (So you can see the desktop easier), right click drag the Launcher.exe to the desktop and select "Create Shortcut".

Everything will work as it did before.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 03:38 AM ----------

Roughly 22gb to download (Used to be 28, I guess they tweaked a bit to reduce the size), it will take you around 2 hours at 3.4 MBps
    Ah 2 hours isn't bad

Ah 2 hours isn't bad
    Wasting bandwidth for no reason. Plus, losing addon and interface settings is pretty painful if you've devoted a large amount of time into tuning your installation.