Deleted

[Prot] 5.2 - Sacred Shield vs Eternal Flame

Hey doods,

Has anyone rolled out some math on Eternal Flame come 5.2 (for Prot)? I've been using SS all along, and I do really like it, but will EF have more HPS (on yourself) come 5.2? Will it be worth it? Not all fights, I reckon, but fights on which you're very rarely topped off it might be good, no? (let's say Heroic Puppies, as an example, since you're always getting damaged through melee hits + bleed).

Deleted
    The problem I have with EF is, that you basically HAVE to use 3HP on it every 30seconds, with SS just being one global which won't hurt your ShotR uptime at all. I can't remember ever playing with EF as prot, so I don't really know what dimensions the ticks can reach at the moment, I'll have to try it out.

I do welcome the change on my Holy mainspec though, especially for bosses like garalon and will HC.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be competitive, but I think Sacred Shield will end up being better most of the time. There's still a high chance of overheal on Eternal Flame, whereas Sacred Shield rarely will, plus EF's HoT still doesn't scale with Bastion of Glory.

EF is good for Holy because each tick gives an additional absorb shield. This is not the case for Prot so I still think SS will be the better talent.

I'll still keep SS, 7 ticks of 70k+ absorbs every 30 seconds is so much better than the over-heal from EF as a tank.

I don't think I will switch it at all unless there is a fight that it can really shine on but I still think I would rather have a 50-100k absorb than a hot

Yep, better to stop damage happening than to heal it back up.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably give it a try, but I like that they're trying to make that tier less cookie-cutter for Protection. I still think that Hand of Purity is a little bit too niche to pick up most of the time now, but the flat 10% damage absorb is pretty nice. Especially if Clemency works with Hand of Purity (does it?).

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Yep, better to stop damage happening than to heal it back up.
    I'd argue that when its the tank's mana being spent and not a healer's, it doesn't matter too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhozul View Post
    I'll probably give it a try, but I like that they're trying to make that tier less cookie-cutter for Protection. I still think that Hand of Purity is a little bit too niche to pick up most of the time now, but the flat 10% damage absorb is pretty nice. Especially if Clemency works with Hand of Purity (does it?).

I'd argue that when its the tank's mana being spent and not a healer's, it doesn't matter too much.
    I'd argue that if you can mitigate 70-100k damage every 4.5 seconds as well as using a 3 second 40-50% damage reduction, that is better than forgoing the 3 second 40-50% ShoR buff for a bit of extra healing that is probably overheal anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially if Clemency works with Hand of Purity (does it?).
    Well, no, they're on the same tier

Not real sure how your going to use EF effectively in a reactive situation. Remember the hot is the only part of the spell that is increased by 100%, the initial heal is not. It is alot of healing sure but your healers have lots of heals. The best way to use the mastery is a quick burst heal to counter act heavy spell damage.

WoG/EF doesn't cost any mana for anyone, unless you want to hard fast FoLs while tanking.

I assume SS, Absorb over heal. and.. WoG costs Holy Power

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'd argue that if you can mitigate 70-100k damage every 4.5 seconds as well as using a 3 second 40-50% damage reduction, that is better than forgoing the 3 second 40-50% ShoR buff for a bit of extra healing that is probably overheal anyway.
    The HoT overhealing is a decent argument, but saying the initial heal from EF would be mostly overhealing is odd to me. Unless you're mindlessly spending your holy power, you'd time the heal to make it not so, although I understand the situation potentially not being convenient enough for such an opportunity to arise once every 30 seconds.

As for forgoing a SotR, it could depend a bit on the fight. For an example, Feng; if you two tank it, set yourself up with the HoT a bit before taunting, no loss in mitigation. Could possibly work similarly with Elegon, Ta'yak, and Shek'zeer. However there's also the odd fight where it'd outright be a bad idea to use EF, such as Gara'jal.
    Last edited by Elathi; 2012-12-26 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    SS is very obviously much better. I have no idea how anyone could argue that EF is worth spending three HP on.

Deleted
    I'll reiterate. I don't think about using EF as regular talent but a situational one.

For instance, in Lei Shi - SotR in that particular fight is nothing more than a BoG builder and due to the constant spam of Spray while you're tanking, EF *might* outdo SS.