Very new to Building a Computer. NEED HELP

Hallo fellow gamers!!!!
    I've decided to build a tower gaming computer after having used gaming laptops for quite some time. I do a lot of gaming very often and I want to build a computer that's a solid step up from the laptop I'm using without burning my wallet.
    The laptop I'm using is the Republic of Gamers Asus laptop. It has 8gbs of RAM, 1 TB of memory, windows 7, 17" screen (1600x900 res) and Nvidia GTX 560m video card.

I'm rather new to building a tower, which basically means, I'm really unsure where to get started so I'm hoping you all can help me get going.

Basically I'm looking for a tower than can handle WoW on ultra settings at 60fps, as well as most newer games on the very high end settings (Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, etc.)

I want to keep total cost around $800.
    Res would be 1920x1080 (23" monitor) with a possible second monitor in the future.
    I don't use any other big programs
    I'm in the US
    SSD recommendation are welcome too, although I will most likely wait and upgrade that later.

I'm gonna use either windows 7 or 8, but I've heard some not so great things about w8 so if anyone could provide feedback on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've already got all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset/speakers)

I'm looking forward to getting some feedback and help!

15+ Year Old Account
    Bump; caught in spam filter

I'd stay away from an ssd on that budget, you would be sacrificing too much performance

I'm on a phone otherwise I'd suggest a build for you
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

Check this thread out. The $790 build is pretty good.

If you're able to you could get everything in the 1070 / 1280 build but the graphics card / ssd for now and buy them later. IMO the 1070 / 1280 builds are right around where you're going to see the most value for your dollar.

Don't worry about win 7/8. After using Windows 8 for 2 months now, I cannot say that windows 7 is superior to it in any way. Win8 boots faster, responds faster and the games I play have no issues with it, on the contrary, they seem to run smoother on windows 8. Not in terms of FPS, I can't explain why really it is just a perception that they do.

If you worry about the Metro UI you can just download Classic Shell or Start8 and that gives you your old start menu back. All in all, Win8 is reliable, fast and in every aspect equal (or better) to Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Don't worry about win 7/8. After using Windows 8 for 2 months now, I cannot say that windows 7 is superior to it in any way. Win8 boots faster, responds faster and the games I play have no issues with it, on the contrary, they seem to run smoother on windows 8. Not in terms of FPS, I can't explain why really it is just a perception that they do.

If you worry about the Metro UI you can just download Classic Shell or Start8 and that gives you your old start menu back. All in all, Win8 is reliable, fast and in every aspect equal (or better) to Win7.
    I'm gonna have to go and agree with this, I actually love the Metro UI. I recommend it, and agree with Lemmiwink that it starts super fast. When I log in the internet is connected immediately, compared to Windows 7 which took a couple minutes to start up (more or less) and then the internet another minute or so, this is a huge win.

Also, Lemmiwink...that name sounds oddly familiar. Where have I heard it before?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedelesa View Post
    I'm gonna have to go and agree with this, I actually love the Metro UI. I recommend it, and agree with Lemmiwink that it starts super fast. When I log in the internet is connected immediately, compared to Windows 7 which took a couple minutes to start up (more or less) and then the internet another minute or so, this is a huge win.

Also, Lemmiwink...that name sounds oddly familiar. Where have I heard it before?
    Where have you heard it before? Not sure tbh, South Park or from WoW in the TBC era most likely. I have also been lurking on these forums for a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Where have you heard it before? Not sure tbh, South Park or from WoW in the TBC era most likely. I have also been lurking on these forums for a couple of years
    South Park...lol. Nice...love it.

Hey Guys. My thoughts (prices / products have changed/discontinued since Marset's guides came out).

Given the hard budget of around 800 dollars, i've had to go with AMD here - something I wouldn't normally do, and am unfamiliar with tbh. Other readers, please give me feedback too :S .

CPU: AMD FX6300 - $140
    MB: Asrock 970 pro - $70
    GPU: MSI R7870 - $260
    RAM: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 8gb. - $50
    Chassis: Corsair 200r - $50
    Storage: WD Caviar Blue - $75
    PSU: Corsair TX650 - $90
    CPU Cooler: CM 212 evo - $35

Total: $810.

(OC your CPU. It pales in comparison to the i5 3570k, but is much cheaper )