Buying a new Video Card

So I currently have a Radeon HD 5850 and I'm planning on buying a new card. What preparations do I need to make in terms of making sure the card physically fits with my motherboard/case? My current card fits pretty snug and I'm afraid a bigger card wont even fit in my case.

Also any suggestions? I was planning on sticking with Radeon just because; I've had both nVidia and ATI and haven't had much problems with either. I don't really have a price range, I'm just looking for the best card for the price... currently looking at a Radeon 7850.

Measuring tape... Or check online from the card manufacturer's page. Card length is listed in specs for sure.

If you want to stay in midrange close to $200, Radeon 7870 GHz edition is probably the best buy at the moment.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Any reason you are upgrading? 5850 is still a very powerful card, and should have no problem playing any game on the market at near full settings. Also, 7850 is only slightly faster than a 5850:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...clocks/?page=6

From that review:
    Radeon HD 5850 is a better card than the name now suggests, and we can empirically prove this by how well it competes against the HD 6850 and HD 7850. Really, a 30-month-old card should be slaughtered by cutting-edge competition, even if the older GPU's clocks are raised, but this isn't generally the case. We feel comfortable in saying that Radeon HD 5850 owners, and there are many, shouldn't feel compelled to 'upgrade' to a Radeon HD 6850 or HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Any reason you are upgrading? 5850 is still a very powerful card, and should have no problem playing any game on the market at near full settings. Also, 7850 is only slightly faster than a 5850:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...clocks/?page=6

From that review:
    Radeon HD 5850 is a better card than the name now suggests, and we can empirically prove this by how well it competes against the HD 6850 and HD 7850. Really, a 30-month-old card should be slaughtered by cutting-edge competition, even if the older GPU's clocks are raised, but this isn't generally the case. We feel comfortable in saying that Radeon HD 5850 owners, and there are many, shouldn't feel compelled to 'upgrade' to a Radeon HD 6850 or HD 7850
    I've been having a lot of problems of late with it. I can't upgrade the drivers without my display shitting a brick and I've been getting blue screens out the wazoo... I had a guy look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong with it.. it is kind of touch and go. Sometimes it works great, and sometimes it just shits everywhere.. I've had it for a few years now so i figured I'd upgrade; but if what you're saying is right it seems like a waste to upgrade while its still a top card.

Ya, unless you know for 100% that your video card is faulty i suggest holding onto it until either:

1. New gaming console comes out (xbox particularly)
    2. DX12

This is when you really should upgrade, right now is not a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ya, unless you know for 100% that your video card is faulty i suggest holding onto it until either:

1. New gaming console comes out (xbox particularly)
    2. DX12

This is when you really should upgrade, right now is not a good time.
    I see. Thanks for the input.