Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    The OP is a liar. Reported. Everyone should ignore this.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Scenario A is that the brother offers to reduce rent in exchange for sex. Scenario B is that he makes no special offer.

In scenario B, she gets kicked out. In scenario A, the young woman has the choice to turn down the offer and get kicked out, or to take him up on it.
    We haven't been told if she could or could not make payments if he didn't offer have we?

It's a bit immoral I suppose, but she had the choice and went with it. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to accept the lowered rent, or even stay there at all. Maybe I'm completely mistaken but I don't think that's illegal or anything. It's his basement. He's not obligated to rent it out to anyone at a fixed rate or with fixed conditions. I agree it's a little immoral, but I don't really feel that bad for her. She could've said no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    The OP is a liar. Reported. Everyone should ignore this.
    Sounds legit.

I don't know why you would post something like this on MMO-Champion. This is not the place for something like this. If you really need to know what the "right thing" is to do, then you're just as disgusting as your brother.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    No.

You sound like you've never been under financial pressure.
    i absolutely have. before i joined the military and after i graduated i was in fact supporting my own brother as my mom and dad had divorced and my dad was no longer able to take care of my brother due to health problems. i contemplated many times robbing a bank, i did get into some minor trouble for stealing some groceries. so yes, instead of selling myself to someone in order to make it by i would pay the full brunt of the expense and look for somewhere else to live

Quote Originally Posted by Brydie View Post
    It isn't rape and this wasn't forced on her.
    Meaningless word games. It's sexual exploitation, and most likely illegal (I'll have to look it up). If you can't recognise this as been utterly unethical on the face of it, your moral compass needs some maintenance.

So how much in rent was she paying before this 60% reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    just going to play devils advocate here but from the way i read it shes doing this willingly right? as in she was capable of paying the rent before the 60% reduction? one could argue that its immoral of the guy but one could also argue that she brings it on herself if shes able to pay the full amount but chooses to sleep with the guy in order pay 60% less.
    You would be correct in that she's doing this 'willingly.'
    However, a person needs things. Such as good food. Clothes that don't fall apart. Maintenance. While possible that she could afford the basement and ample luxury, I can tell you (from personal experience) that costs pile up quickly. You need to pay all sorts of taxes, insurances, debts (remember; the parents just died, by accident, so chances are they weren't insured for sudden death, so the costs of burials and such is quite extensive, eating up more than they leave behind, in most cases), and she needs to take care of an eleven-year-old, meaning school-supplies, lots of food and more costs, while the child offers nothing in terms of money (depending on location).
    All in all... 60% off of the rent might have actually been necessary.

And then we're not even considering circumstances. In what circumstances do such things arise? Usually, it's the end of the month... And you need to pay the rent. But you're nearly broke; you don't have much money left, and what you've got, you need for food. So you go to the land-lord, and tell him that you've got no money. But you'll pay! Promise! Because you need that basement, there's not much chance of getting a cheaper place very quickly. You need a place to stay in order to tidy up and wash; otherwise, you'll lose your job for being homeless. You need a place for your little brother to sleep at night.

And then, the landlord think about it, and goes: 'Here's what; you can't pay, and I understand that... Things are expensive, you don't have much money... So I say; let's cut off 60% of your rent, but you're going to pay me the difference through a service. You'll have sex with me every week, and we call it quits.'
    Now; you know you're probably not going to have enough money next month, either... So you capitulate. Because you're desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I don't think it would matter since prostitution is illegal in most states, anyway.
    I'm assuming this is in Canada from the OPs other threads. It isn't rape (in my opinion, but still scummy), but if it counts as prostitution he could be charged.
    Edit: Nevermind, prostitution is legal in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am seeing a lot of judgemental attitudes in this thread, this woman is being exploited, but who in society is not?

Honestly, if it were my brother, i would mind my own business. As long as it is between to consenting adults, i wouldn't care, as far as the legality, let it come back and bite him in the butt, financially, and reputation wise, he will probably at some point find himself in court anyways. I find it also pretty stupid on his part, but then again who knows. Stranger things have happened maybe he winds up caring for this girl and they get married, and the financial stuff just keeps some arms length for both. No offense intended.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmines View Post
    It could be, but we really don't know entirely what her financial situation is except that it is bad. maybe some more background, what was the rent in the first place and what does she do.
    thats my point, we dont know. she could very well be making it just fine, or she could be begging for food. somehow i dont think we'll get any answers about either

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    That sounds... illegal. I don't know Canadian laws, but that sounds very illegal to even do that.

Personally I would see if that's even legal and have a talk with him. Pretty messed up.
    It's illegal in many parts in the US, and if it's illegal in the US and of questionable moral intent to begin with, it's almost assuredly illegal in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell your brother to stop being a dick and help the girl out or something. If I had a brother like that i'd kick his ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    The op hasnt made any response on people views so im going with he just baiting.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Your brother is a piece of shit. See if you can help her find some other place to stay.
    Took the words out of my mouth. OP's brother deserves to go to jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    The op hasnt made any response on people views so im going with he just baiting.
    I just noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brydie View Post
    We haven't been told if she could or could not make payments if he didn't offer have we?
    Irrelevant. If that were true, then it would change to Scenario A being the offer still being her choice, whereas in B she has no choice since there is no offer.

What you have here is a woman who is exchanging 4 sexual encounters for 60% of a month's rent each month, and who is being offered a voluntary choice as an alternative to the consequences of having the full rent due (which may be being evicted or may be just a little shorter on cash).

It's simple prostitution. I find it skeezy, but it doesn't bother me much and I certainly hope it's not illegal (though it probably is). And no, I don't see her as any sort of victim since she has the option of turning it down and facing the consequences of a full rent bill -- consequences WHICH SHE WOULD ALREADY HAVE IF THE OFFER WASN'T IN PLACE.

Anyone who sees her as a victim because she faces eviction/financial hardship is at least rational even if they don't understand the concept of a voluntary financial agreement (which is what a rent lease is). Anyone who sees her as a victim because this man gave her this offer is just illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Scenario A is that the brother offers to reduce rent in exchange for sex. Scenario B is that he makes no special offer.

In scenario B, she gets kicked out. In scenario A, the young woman has the choice to turn down the offer and get kicked out, or to take him up on it.
    Other options do not rule out coercion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah think im going to call bullshit on this, sounds way to far fetched.
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic