Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

When did the Concept of Sociopathy become "cool"?

These days everyone likes to identifies themselves as a sociopath, or having sociopathic qualities and tendencies - why?

If you've ever done anything nice for someone without thinking about how it benefits you, you are not a sociopath.

A sociopath is essentially a clinically diagnosed asshole. Why is the concept popular, and when did it become so?

Dexter + Tumblr + Special Snowflake Syndrome.

People like to believe they're cool and calculating, not stupidly emotional like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

People like to believe they're cool and calculating, not stupidly emotional like everyone else.
    hmm, might as well /thread

It has to do with people not teaching their kids that it feels good to help others. They see daddy yelling about the government screwing him over, how much he hates his coworkers, how much the homeless person is a mooch and the kid follows suit by not caring about anyone but himself. It's a very "me first" generation. Hence the large rise in libertarians.

10+ Year Old Account
    because people want to be assholes without being told they can't, its a genetic deficiency of those who haven't evolved beyond the primate brains yet.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    wut, i've never heard the concept of sociopathy being considered cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    wut, i've never heard the concept of sociopathy being considered cool.
    Not to worry. People on the other end of the spectrum confuse being stoic and intelligent as being a sociopath.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same day when vampires become "cool"

10+ Year Old Account
    Edginess and sociopathy have always existed but the internet has given them an annoying, in-your-face, attention whoring voice. Sites like reddit and tumblr spread it like herpes.

The worst (and funniest) on Tumblr are the people who passive aggressively say they want to kill all cis people or men.

The cloaked, fedora-wearing MRA neckbeards on reddit are good for a laugh as well.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xepheroth5026 View Post
    It has to do with people not teaching their kids that it feels good to help others. They see daddy yelling about the government screwing him over, how much he hates his coworkers, how much the homeless person is a mooch and the kid follows suit by not caring about anyone but himself. It's a very "me first" generation. Hence the large rise in libertarians.
    Oh, obviously. Because Me, as someone who's never done drugs, and never has an inclination, feeling that perhaps they should be legalized (with certain restrictions, a la alcohol), is totally only thinking about myself. That's a libertarian POV.

Sorry, this is extremely flawed logic. There's numerous articles that disprove this, and books. For example, this world has the least amount of violence in comparison to any other time in our history (I'd direct you to Stephen Pinker for that info).

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Edginess and sociopathy have always existed but the internet has given them an annoying, in-your-face, attention whoring voice. Sites like reddit and tumblr spread it like herpes.

The worst (and funniest) on Tumblr are the people who passive aggressively say they want to kill all cis people or men.

The cloaked, fedora-wearing MRA neckbeards on reddit are good for a laugh as well.
    This is much more true. Look at the sites that talk about how to treat women horribly (PUA, MRA, etc). The one dude who actually tried to get his mother to fuck him, and believes the government should be paying for a girlfriend for him, because he /deserves/ it.
    Last edited by anisadora; 2014-02-07 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

I'd like to add one thing to this...the Perpetual Teenager Syndrome reinforcing the all of the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anisadora View Post
    Oh, obviousl. Because Me, as someone who's never done drugs, and never has an inclination, feeling that perhaps they should be legalized (with certain restrictions, a la alcohol), is totally only thinking about myself.

Sorry, this is extremely flawed logic. There's numerous articles that disprove this, and books. For example, this world has the least amount of violence in comparison to any other time in our history (I'd direct you to Stephen Pinker for that info).
    What does drugs have to do with anything?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I'd like to add one thing to this...the Perpetual Teenager Syndrome reinforcing the all of the above.
    Coupled with a bit of internet tough guy.

Deleted
    When did flawed generilization and flawed reasoning become so abundant, is a question i find far more viable to ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I take a bit of an offence to that. I'm neither cloaked, fedora wearing or a neckbeard. Yet I sympathize with many aspects of the MRA movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    What does drugs have to do with anything?
    That's a libertarian view point. I was giving an example of why their argument sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Coupled with a bit of internet tough guy.
    That is the sub-species of the Perpetual Teenager...unless it happens to be one of them "Libertarian" folks in which case, only God themselves knows what's going on in their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    When did flawed generilization and flawed reasoning become so abundant, is a question i find far more viable to ask.....
    Given your question is so generalized it seems rather ironic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anisadora View Post
    That's a libertarian view point. I was giving an example of why their argument sucked.
    Generelizations are flawed in the respect of targeting everyone but no-one.
    Yet somehow you feel attacked?

Pity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Given your question is so generalized it seems rather ironic
    I post a lot on MMO-C, it's not ironic in the slightest. MMO-C having a large diversity of people, but a majority of them giving the generilazation any weight at all.

"Sociopathy" is actually just a euphemism for psychopathy. There is nothing remotely cool about it in the real world, socio/psychopaths are pretty much pure evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.