Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

PvP "Blog" is here.

http://us.battle.net//d3/en/blog/8163085

I'm not even a big PvPer but it looks like the just canceled the one type of pvp I would actually play. Maybe in another year they'll release a blog saying they're implementing wow style bgs and I'll never pvp ever!

Im one of the few that wont miss pvp. The only pvp in d2 that mattered was zeal vs zeal anyways.

Deleted
    7 months for this.

Seems they really hid the truth from the players, they can't have had anything remotely done before launch.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On the one hand, this is a pretty straightforward and honest communication. They are obviously working on it to have given such a response. They clearly care about it and they aren't even earning a subscription from you. They are dead on that after a while the deathmatch style in the framework of Diablo wouldn't lend well to prolonged play. They want to give you a feature that is engaging enough that some people who have gotten to 100 Paragon will still want to play D3 for this feature.

This means that it will have to be more complex than a free for all death match and more rewarding than just the experience. I'm not sure how they are going to solve that dilemma, but it's not easy.

On the other hand, I understand how people really looking forward to the feature will have almost no hope at this point. It was a feature that was supposed to launch with the game and probably won't even be in after it has been out a year. I completely understand. I will say though, that Diablo is not designed to give you a PvP experience. This is a dungeon crawler, ARPG, smash the buttons and grab the loot game.

If you honestly expected them to revolutionize the genre in a PvP setting...I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    On the one hand, this is a pretty straightforward and honest communication. They are obviously working on it to have given such a response. They clearly care about it and they aren't even earning a subscription from you. They are dead on that after a while the deathmatch style in the framework of Diablo wouldn't lend well to prolonged play. They want to give you a feature that is engaging enough that some people who have gotten to 100 Paragon will still want to play D3 for this feature.

This means that it will have to be more complex than a free for all death match and more rewarding than just the experience. I'm not sure how they are going to solve that dilemma, but it's not easy.

On the other hand, I understand how people really looking forward to the feature will have almost no hope at this point. It was a feature that was supposed to launch with the game and probably won't even be in after it has been out a year. I completely understand. I will say though, that Diablo is not designed to give you a PvP experience. This is a dungeon crawler, ARPG, smash the buttons and grab the loot game.

If you honestly expected them to revolutionize the genre in a PvP setting...I don't know what to tell you.
    Most people don't want that, BLIZZARD are trying to do that... it's seriously taken them this long just to implement a simple dual system? It's crazy at best.

Dueling should have been in the game since launch while they try to expand on different pvp options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why was it hard to exactly put in a dueling system in the first place or even the HOSTILE system like haha granted PVP isn't priority to me however I did do it from time to time.

*Shakes head*

Introducing that blog just made people punch there diablo 3 box and be like CYA GUYS I'M GOING - > another game. I'm still playing sorta anyway but I honestly don't think many people are at this point.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Most people don't want that, BLIZZARD are trying to do that... it's seriously taken them this long just to implement a simple dual system? It's crazy at best.

Dueling should have been in the game since launch while they try to expand on different pvp options.
    I don't disagree with that. If people merely waned duels, it seems like that should have been something available from the get go. I think they have heard a much greater demand for something other than that than you make it sound though. Just judging from the way they handle already successful properties, I highly doubt they were trying to reinvent the wheel unless early feedback demanded the wheel be reinvented.

WoW wouldn't have gone through similar changes for the same reason. People complain, people demand more, and Blizzard tries to comply. I'm not saying they are victims by any means, but they aren't doing it for goodwill. There's either a monetary (something to do with the RMAH) reason or a customer loyalty reason they are trying to do it...which is technically future monetary reasons anyways.

As a disclaimer, I also don't think that many people really wanted PvP (beyond dueling features) in this game...I'm guessing this is catering to the whims of some more hardcore and outspoken players. Possibly some of the Arena crowd from WoW that they want buying future D3 expacs for PvP...idk

Guys we'll blog about pvp soon.

Guys we'll talk about pvp soon.

Guys we're ready to talk about pvp.....that thing we were working on for years? Yea we scrapped that, but don't worry we're falling back on what we should of in the first place and letting people duel.

I think that's hilarious. Here's 1 big point that stands out to me that I bet 20$ Jay "Double it" wilson didn't think about.

You still can't create / browse / join your own games at your own leisure. So how exactly are people suppose to find other like minded people to duel with?

The only way will be to
    1. Join random games and ask people (cuz I'm sure that will be efficient)
    2. LEAVE the game and go other places, forums, fan-sites, ect. and try to actively search out people to duel with.

Such convenience! /sarcasm , it's just another problem with their shit system that these dev's should have to foresight to see! I'll be laughing when they inevitably add the option BACK IN to create / browse / join custom game rooms at their own leisure, in the year that it takes these idiots to come to that obvious conclusion.

It actually baffles me how ignorant blizzards new "Dev" team is when it comes to making diablo. They had the winning formula sitting right there in front of them and it's like they deliberately tried to do everything as opposite from that as possible. Hence why d3 is probably the most boring , shallow "AAA" game that I have ever played, and D2 still remains one of the greatest games ever created.
    Last edited by Lomak; 2012-12-27 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Why was it hard to exactly put in a dueling system in the first place or even the HOSTILE system like haha granted PVP isn't priority to me however I did do it from time to time.

*Shakes head*

Introducing that blog just made people punch there diablo 3 box and be like CYA GUYS I'M GOING - > another game. I'm still playing sorta anyway but I honestly don't think many people are at this point.
    If I look at my D3 friends list, which has about 15 people, there are only 2 people that have been online in the last 4 months. Some guy I met in a public game, and you. Last time I talked to the other dude he said he was only grinding para levels for PvP and he was thinking of going back to D2.

I'd be more likely to play if friends did, but yeah, the few who might have come back for PvP won't even bother now.

Unless this game gets ladder resets I can't see myself bothering again.. unless they do something cool with the expansion pack.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-12-27 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post

*Shakes head*

Im gonna be 99 before you My flist is getting bigger, always in a 4ppl game now, kinda fun.

I dont think d3 needs a hostile system, this isnt really a pub game like d2 was. Dueling is fine, arena's are just dumb (look at wow pvp).

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Im gonna be 99 before you My flist is getting bigger, always in a 4ppl game now, kinda fun.

I dont think d3 needs a hostile system, this isnt really a pub game like d2 was. Dueling is fine, arena's are just dumb (look at wow pvp).
    I'll get to 100! When I'm not bored <.< I swear!

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    If I look at my D3 friends list, which has about 15 people, there are only 2 people that have been online in the last 4 months. Some guy I met in a public game, and you. Last time I talked to the other dude he said he was only grinding para levels for PvP and he was thinking of going back to D2.

I'd be more likely to play if friends did, but yeah, the few who might have come back for PvP won't even bother now.

Unless this game gets ladder resets I can't see myself bothering again.. unless they do something cool with the expansion pack.
    think I may focus on SC II again haha there's honestly no incentive to play since profit in that game has dispersed literally.

So basically, from what I'm understand, they're basically saying "We scrapped the PvP system and now we're just going to implement Hostile/Dueling like D2" ?

Blizzard, waht r u doin, Blizzard, STAHP

But really, I'd imagine that PvP in D3 would be a nightmare to balance. Even more than WoW's PvP. In a game that's based around huge damage and PvE, with random-stat gear and tons and tons of different stats, I can imagine PvP would be an insane pipe dream to balance, and they'd be better off just making a completely different set of stats/skills for PvP, in which case, they'd be better off just making a brand new game at that point.

TL;DR: Organized PvP in D3 would be pretty much impossible to balance in the game's current state.
    Last edited by Vook; 2012-12-27 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    You can switch from D2 to PoE. Open beta should start in a month. PvP, ladder resets, meaningful class/gear system ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    This is pathetic.

So this blog shows me that they really don't have anything for PvP. This blog was not worth the wait and truthfully this PvP Patch isn't worth a wait either. Scrap this idea and add a new act instead.

Deleted
    Duels? After all the waiting.. not that I was interested in PvP that much, I was just hoping it would liven the trade a bit. Oh well...

waste of time from the start IMO, i honestly wouldn't mind if they scrapped pvp altogether. put the dueling in, and focus on fixing pve.

Embarrassing how far Blizzard has fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    You can switch from D2 to PoE. Open beta should start in a month. PvP, ladder resets, meaningful class/gear system ...
    Every couple of months I go back to poe and combat is still shit because of animations, netcode and terrible mob behavior. And the potential depth of the passives/gems is still ruined by the stupid damage and various netcode issues.
    Then I fire up D3, I'm in awe how everything is so much smoother in comparison and get my ARPG fix.