Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Essence of Terror vs Light of the Cosmos

Hello. The question is: Is Essence of Terror really that better than Light of the Cosmos? I can't understand, how a trinket with 105 sec ICD can be so far ahead than a trinket with 45 ICD? (their heroic version)

Sorry for my language. English is not my native language.
    Last edited by Feelsgood; 2012-12-27 at 07:04 PM.

As Demonology, you can line the Haste proc up for extra Shadowflame ticks as well as extra Doom ticks. As Aff, you can do the same thing with all 3 dots, and toss a Haunt up for massive damage.

The thing is, they are both good for Affliction.

As most warlocks in my guild did, and like I did, i just dumped the DMF trinket, and used both Essence of Terror and Light of The Cosmos.

Also ran some sims after that, and my dps has increased by roughly 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Midy View Post
    The thing is, they are both good for Affliction.

As most warlocks in my guild did, and like I did, i just dumped the DMF trinket, and used both Essence of Terror and Light of The Cosmos.

Also ran some sims after that, and my dps has increased by roughly 5k.

Same with Demo once they're both Heroic. Not sure about Normal or higher, the stuff from Simcraft says Essence isn't better until its Heroic, but their Demo APL is pitiful.

Other words Essence of Terror > Light of the Cosmos > DMC? Is this numbers are wrong https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DVWhOLWc#gid=0 ? It's seems that DMC > Light of the Cosmos in BiS gear by roughly 500 dps...

Deleted
    Demonology: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/5-1-bis-demonology-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/
    Destruction: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/5-1-bis-destruction-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/
    Affliction: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/5-1-bis-affliction-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/

Quote Originally Posted by Feelsgood View Post
    Other words Essence of Terror > Light of the Cosmos > DMC? Is this numbers are wrong https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DVWhOLWc#gid=0 ? It's seems that DMC > Light of the Cosmos in BiS gear by roughly 500 dps...
    I'm not sure where that list came from, but almost nothing on it is correct. Haste>Crit=Mastery at BiS for Demonology? Not hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardanor View Post
    Demonology: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/5-1-bis-demonology-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/
    Destruction: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/5-1-bis-destruction-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/
    Affliction: darkcontent.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/5-1-bis-affliction-warlock-all-fully-upgraded-trinket-combinations/

Blue trinkets with the same weight as RoY for Demonology? Nope.

People really need to stop slinging links and information that has no merit or any factual basis.
    Last edited by Teye; 2012-12-28 at 03:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post

People really need to stop slinging links and information that has no merit or any factual basis.
    I don't think I am following you. Lets compare Essence + RoY with the closest Blue trinket instead of RoY.

Essence H U2 + RoY U2 = 114631
    Essence H U2 + Zenstone U1 = 112629

Isn't that a 2000 change in DPS?

Correct me if I am wrong.

A bit off topic but related question:

If you swapping out LotC for the Essence, do you have to re-adjust your gears to compensate for the large amount of haste loss? Please advise.

You need to think a little harder about the information that chart is displaying. You seem to be confusing it with the standard (and less informative) charts that make direct comparisons between individual trinkets. People really need to stop dismissing the good work of others just because they don't understand it.
    Last edited by zey; 2012-12-28 at 03:55 PM.

Deleted
    Upgraded Yulon =< Upgraded Essence of Terror << Light of the Cosmos
    Essence of Terror normal / HC + HC Light of the Cosmos is BIS.
    Essence of Terror is only slightly better than Yulon, but better nonetheless. And I bet it's alot better if you use it as Teye described.

Specifically, from my simcraft data these are my results:
    UPG Yulon: 9039 dps

UPG Essence of Terror: 9086 dps
    UPG HC Essence of Terror: 10257 dps

UPG Light of the Cosmos: 9847 dps
    UPG HC Light of the Cosmos: 11113 dps

This is using the average value of haste / intellect granted by the trinkets and their corresponding values. As affliction, btw.
    Last edited by mmocfecbd8d6a4; 2012-12-28 at 04:09 PM.

My problem with people posting things about Demonology is that they base all of it off of Simcraft. Simcraft is garbage for Demonology right now. See this thread for more about it, but basically the APL is totally wrong, does nothing to optimize trinket procs and bloodlust with Doom, doesn't abuse Pandemic with Doom with procs up, doesn't weave Meta for HoG travel time, and the stat weights (and therefore, the trinket values) are completely wrong because of it.

My problem with people posting things about Demonology is that they base all of it off of Simcraft. Simcraft is garbage for Demonology right now. See this thread for more about it, but basically the APL is totally wrong, does nothing to optimize trinket procs and bloodlust with Doom, doesn't abuse Pandemic with Doom with procs up, doesn't weave Meta for HoG travel time, and the stat weights (and therefore, the trinket values) are completely wrong because of it.
    While I completely agree that the actions priority list is off for demo, you haven't shown any non simcraft math to show essence is indeed better. Instead of saying "People really need to stop slinging links and information that has no merit or any factual basis." maybe you could indulge us with some numbers since no offense you're insinuating essence is better without really giving us any proof as to why yourself. I get that yes you're getting more ticks on shadowflame doom ect, but that hardly is conclusive as to which one is better.

I sim 1200 dps higher using essence 496 u2+lotc 489U2 then i do using lotc+roy u2. But i still use lotc+roy because its just that much superior ingame (not sim) reason being:

~essence is supposed to have a 105s icd. when in fact it never procs in less then 107s.
    ~i only found a ~75% proc chance on my openers with essence(testing on dummies and raid boss's) if it does not proc on your opener then it no longer lines up with 4piece bonus making it off for the rest of the fight.

if they changed the proc mechanic to that of lotc i would use it in a heartbeat, but its so erratic and unpredictable the trinket is basically only good for its base intel.

just an example of how bad it is at proccing, one day while playing around on a dummy i casted 22x Fel flames before it procced. since it only has a chance to proc when you land a spell ive gone entire openers (coe>sb:ss>haunt>mg>FF>MG>haunt>SB:SS>MG) all without it ever proccing. thats completely unacceptable and makes the trinket useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    While I completely agree that the actions priority list is off for demo, you haven't shown any non simcraft math to show essence is indeed better. Instead of saying "People really need to stop slinging links and information that has no merit or any factual basis." maybe you could indulge us with some numbers since no offense you're insinuating essence is better without really giving us any proof as to why yourself. I get that yes you're getting more ticks on shadowflame doom ect, but that hardly is conclusive as to which one is better.

Go re-read the thread. I never said it was better, I explained why its a good trinket. There's a difference.

Deleted
    i completely agree weakdots, EoT has a crappy procrate, if i remember corecctly it has about a 28% uptime while Lotc and relic have an uptime of about 35-45% making the procs of those trinks better than EoT, and only the static int makes it superior and afaik it is only the HC version of EoT that is bis, the normal version of EoT is still inferior to relic and normal LotC, and the lfr version of EoT is also inferior to relic and lotc, atleast at around ilvl 490ish gearlvl, atleast that is what ive read.

This was something I wasn't quite sure about for myself so I ran calculations using my scale factors a little bit ago and came up with some dps values for each of the trinkets.

Essence of terror: ~8000 dps
    Light of the Cosmos: ~8300 dps
    Relic of Yulon: ~ 7600 dps

These are values based on MY scale factors, and assuming a 3 sec delay on the proc on LotC and a 5 sec delay on the proc on EoT. Relic of Yulon was calculated assuming a 33% uptime.
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

My problem with people posting things about Demonology is that they base all of it off of Simcraft. Simcraft is garbage for Demonology right now.
    Shrugs - SimCraft is about as effective as it is for Demonology as it is for Affliction. The trinket rankings in my blog come with the caveat that SimCraft results have holes in them, precisely because it's nigh impossible to have the APL work how we'd want it to work in relation to procs and DS.

As for your complaint about 'Blue trinkets with the same weight as RoY for Demonology? Nope.', you really need to look at how strong the Zen Alchemist Stone actually is. SimCraft actually underrates it in relation to the Relic because of how strong that proc is (4689 INT 15s/55CD vs 3261 INT 15s/50CD).
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Quote Originally Posted by kai zayin View Post
    This was something I wasn't quite sure about for myself so I ran calculations using my scale factors a little bit ago and came up with some dps values for each of the trinkets.

Essence of terror: ~8000 dps
    Light of the Cosmos: ~8300 dps
    Relic of Yulon: ~ 7600 dps

These are values based on MY scale factors, and assuming a 3 sec delay on the proc on LotC and a 5 sec delay on the proc on EoT. Relic of Yulon was calculated assuming a 33% uptime.

This is how trinket rating is done.

This is how trinket rating is done.
    That's how it used to be done, sure. Of course, those stat weights are coming from simcraft, so...