Thread: 3 Month Hiatus

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

3 Month Hiatus

So I just got back from a 3 month hiatus and haven't touched GW2 till yesterday. I REALLY don't feel like reading 3 and a half months worth of patch notes and I was wondering if you, the GW2 community, could catch me up with some cliff notes.

I left an 80 warrior with full Karma 80 gear, maxed professions(WS, AS, Art, JC), 100% map completion, lots of mats gathered for a legendary(still undecided if I want Twilight or Sunrise) and every jumping puzzle complete. Yes I did a lot in the month and a half I played before I had to do RL stuff again.

Yesterday I logged on for the first time, spent most of the evening completing the new puzzles and trying to figure out what to do next.

So if you came back and you actually took the time to read the patch notes what would you do in my shoes?

TYIA
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-12-27 at 08:10 PM.

I also had a 3 month hiatus, started just a week ago again.

I only made it to 65 on my Ele, so i rolled two new characters to start from scratch I now have a 36 warrior and a 26 guardian, and I can pick which one of the 3 i like the most but I think ill be sticking to guardian.

I totally did not answer your question, but I will suggest Sunrise. =3

Try the Fractal dungeons in Lions Arch, visit the new area although there isn't all that much to do there. Try new PvP map and see if theres anything you like i guess.

If already logged in to the game there is not much need to solicit forums. Even less so if you don't want to read patch notes.

- Tweaks to various classes as is common in every MMO.
    - Fractal mini dungeons.
    - Ascended gear progression.

The game is essentially the same as it was 3 months ago for the most part.

It's boggled my mind since the day you became a mod that you seem to always post negative feedback when someone starts a thread or makes a post in the GW2 section, Fencers.

This isn't a spam thread, it's not a repeat thread and it doesn't belong in any sub-forum/sticky that is already created yet you still manage to basically tell me "Why are you posting GW2 topics and questions in the GW2 section of MMO Champ, idiot". I mean "god" forbid someone asks a question about GW2...

You've always seemed like a very angry individual.

Feel free to do w/e you like with this thread. I wont be returning.

Oh, and thanks for your input
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-12-27 at 11:48 PM.

Not certain what is negative in my above post. It was a succinct summary actually.

Anything more would just be a re-wording of patch notes [which you said you don't want to read] or marketing regurgitation. The past 2 events are over. Logging in would reveal the Wintersday event immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If already logged in to the game there is not much need to solicit forums. Even less so if you don't want to read patch notes.

- Tweaks to various classes as is common in every MMO.
    - Fractal mini dungeons.
    - Ascended gear progression.

The game is essentially the same as it was 3 months ago for the most part.
    -new zone with we enemy types (mostly empty because people are pansies)
    - new jumping puzzles and events, including some huge dredge thing I've yet to do (don't play in dredge zones) and the skritt burgler who is all over kryta.
    -new sPvP map (if you care about that)
    -Paid sPvP tournies that award gems
    - new armor sets Gift Giver (toughness, healing, boon duration) and apothecary (healing power, toughness, condi dmg)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Forgot about Sunshine Cove. Because its like, unfinished by Anet's admission.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    It's boggled my mind since the day you became a mod that you seem to always post negative feedback when someone starts a thread or makes a post in the GW2 section, Fencers.

This isn't a spam thread, it's not a repeat thread and it doesn't belong in any sub-forum/sticky that is already created yet you still manage to basically tell me "Why are you posting GW2 topics and questions in the GW2 section of MMO Champ, idiot". I mean "god" forbid someone asks a question about GW2...

No need for personal attacks... He took the time to answer your questions so at least be friendly even thou you don't like them. (btw you look like the angry individual here)
    And he's true everything is in-game and nothing else can be added because the patch notes are 5 min of reading. No one else can decide what you should do but I would continue for my legendary so that you'd at least accomplished something in gw2

Forgot about Sunshine Cove. Because its like, unfinished by Anet's admission.
    they didn't say it's unfinished (as far as I can remember at least) and it certainly doesn't feel unfinished for me. It was never supposed to be a full fledged zone like the Orr-Zones, it's a zone more similar to the city of Lions Arch - something that introduced a nice little side-story alongside the Fractal-Introduction. Anet said, that they will enhance the zone, but this happens to all existing zones.

btw: Southsun Cove

The new island is not a full-sized map, it's a medium small map that will play out a storyline. Not intended for big end-game expansion. Island is meant for more fun content. The Dungeon is meant to be added to expand end-game.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/12hh55/notes_from_mmorpgcom_interview_livestream_with/

Last edited by Maarius; 2012-12-28 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post

Feel free to do w/e you like with this thread. I wont be returning.

Oh, and thanks for your input

It goes like this:

Aha, a new thread!

Can the thread be closed for asking a general or specific question that was asked months ago?
    |
    --->Yes, close it immediately.
    |
    v
    No.
    |
    v
    Can the thread be buried in an old thread, hopefully one that was started months ago when the game was in beta and is probably full of outdated information?
    |
    ---> Yes, merge it immediately.
    |
    v
    No
    |
    v
    Make a negative comment about the game. Mention another game if you can.

And they wonder why the GW2 community left this forum ;-)
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    they didn't say it's unfinished (as far as I can remember at least) and it certainly doesn't feel unfinished for me. It was never supposed to be a full fledged zone like the Orr-Zones, it's a zone more similar to the city of Lions Arch - something that introduced a nice little side-story alongside the Fractal-Introduction. Anet said, that they will enhance the zone, but this happens to all existing zones.
    There was a dev post on the forums that said they were adding content later to the zone. That is functionally unfinished considering there are few objectives there.

In any case I forgot about the island because there is almost nothing there currently. Mobs and nodes.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-28 at 02:21 AM.

there is almost nothing there currently. Mobs and nodes.
    in all objectivity, this is wrong
    -) a very easy jumpingpuzzle
    -) a second jumpingpuzzle which is (in my humble opinion) one of the most difficult in the game - and one of the most fun
    -) a few events

probably missed an event or two - shark event missing

-) 3 exclusive Minis which drop from enemies there (not sure about that) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini_Karka
    -) exclusive crafting mats
    -) Ranger pet

sure, that's not a lot, but a lot more than you stated. It never should have been a full fledged map, as I mentioned (and linked) above, just a map for fun. As I'm not constantly farming anything in this game I visit the map occasionally and I like the new enemy-types, the location's design and the jumping-puzzles. Going for the Karka-Slayer achievement with a friend is just the right activity between mindless zerg-action and solo-running zones - from time to time.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-12-28 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a dev post on the forums that said they were adding content later to the zone. That is functionally unfinished considering there are few objectives there.

In any case I forgot about the island because there is almost nothing there currently. Mobs and nodes.
    They said they were going to add more content to the rest of Tyria (which they have done with each patch) does that mean the game is unfinished? No of course not! South sun cove is FAR from unfinished it has some really fun events as well as some really cool mob fights, it's not meant to replace Orr as the "end game" zones it's meant to be a fun lv 80 zone to go to.

As said above it has 2 jumping puzzles, 2 unique crafting Matt's, 3 rare mini drops (they drop from the chests at the end of the event chains no one does), a ranger pet which is AMAZING!! About 5 big event chains (2 branch out of the consortium camp, 1 involving worms and 1 pushing through the karka ranks from the foot hold you must first establish).

Just because no one goes there doesn't mean it's unfinished r lacking its a GREAT zone it's just small, I actually like how empty it is because it makes it more like an adventure and less like an ongoing war (which is the entire feel of the zone, discovering the mastered of the island).

PS: the rare minis can also drop off of the legendary wind rider and reef drake on the island, my guildie got one from the wind rider and one of his friends got one from the drake (his friend was farming it)
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

in all objectivity, this is wrong
    -) a very easy jumpingpuzzle
    -) a second jumpingpuzzle which is (in my humble opinion) one of the most difficult in the game - and one of the most fun
    -) a few events
    Mobs, nodes and a couple of jumping puzzles. Amended.

Not really concerned over splitting hairs over a mini pet drop or a differently colored drake.

Mobs, nodes and a couple of jumping puzzles. Amended.

Not really concerned over splitting hairs over a mini pet drop or a differently colored drake.
    It's all about expectations. You expected a completely new lv.80 zone. Of course you are disappointed with Southsun Cove. It's not that. Do you realize this fact? I'm not sure. To me it seems you and others still find things in every design decision which is clearly a "broken promise". I'm not surprised that Anet holds back all the infobits about upcoming features, because if they decide to change it along the way of development tons of trolls and even more sheep jump on the bandwagon and call it... a broken promise.

...and now they can't even bring small bits of content without being called liars. Great.

I haven't set foot in Southsun Cove since shortly after the event ended. I tried going out there for the sole purpose of harvesting materials, but since there's rarely anyone else around that turned out to be more perilous (and ultimately less fruitful) than just going to Orr. Needless to say, few of the events ever get completed since most cannot be soloed (or at least not without expending more time and effort than it's worth).

I didn't have any expectations. I never read about anything beforehand, I just showed up where the game told me and did whatever there was to do. Afterwards, I did feel like the zone was mostly pointless. No hearts, no map completion objectives save for a handful of POIs, events that weren't any better than anywhere else in the game (arguably worse).

Southsun Cove reminds me of Silithus pre-AQ. Technically there may be stuff in the zone, but there's still no real reason to go out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I haven't set foot in Southsun Cove since shortly after the event ended. I tried going out there for the sole purpose of harvesting materials, but since there's rarely anyone else around that turned out to be more perilous (and ultimately less fruitful) than just going to Orr. Needless to say, few of the events ever get completed since most cannot be soloed (or at least not without expending more time and effort than it's worth).

I didn't have any expectations. I never read about anything beforehand, I just showed up where the game told me and did whatever there was to do. Afterwards, I did feel like the zone was mostly pointless. No hearts, no map completion objectives save for a handful of POIs, events that weren't any better than anywhere else in the game (arguably worse).

Southsun Cove reminds me of Silithus pre-AQ. Technically there may be stuff in the zone, but there's still no real reason to go out there.
    Well unlike Silithus there's the whole "It's Fun" aspect, i personally find the Karka the most fun mobs to fight, and as such i spend a good deal of time there... And a lot of people that go there to harvest go in small strike forces, i'd suggest doing this sometime because 5 people is more than enough to take down most mobs and events there with ease.

It's all about expectations. You expected a completely new lv.80 zone. Of course you are disappointed with Southsun Cove. It's not that.
    I didn't really expect anything out of it.

I just went there, explored and left. The zone is comparatively sparse. Even the DEs [which are common through the whole game] are fewer than other zones.

The zone isn't awful, simply forgettable. Mobs and nodes. And jumping puzzles.

Given common balance tweaks, fractals and this new zone; the game is mostly the same as it was 3 months ago. I am not gonna get into a squabble over forgetting to mention a single sparse zone, differently colored river drake or not citing a mini pet drop.

If that is a perceived slight against the game then it is mostly in the mind of the fragile reader.

...and now they can't even bring small bits of content without being called liars. Great.
    Not sure what you are on about here. Or what relevance that has to do with this thread or my quoted post.

If you are mentioning the "Failed Promises" [sic] thread- perhaps it would make more sense if you directed these sentiments at posts in that thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Fencers being a ranger i gotta say that the drake isn't recolored river drake, it's got a lot of things that make it less like a river drake, or any of the other drakes. He lacks fins, and spins, his tail is longer than the other drakes, etc. Not to mention if anything he'd be a reskin of an ice drake seeing as how they're the most similar AND the breathe is more similar to them/the salamander drake it's a melee ranged breathe not ranged... As for -fighting- the drakes, not even similar, it's hands down THE HARDEST drake to fight, it throws you around the battle field like a fucking ragdoll all the while dazing you for 3ish seconds at a time and then throwing up to 10 stacks of confusion on you that lasts quite a while making the "Wait it out" mentality actually become pretty bad especially since they can daze you for so long and so often...

Sorry, just don't like it when people say something is just a recolor of a mob when it's not.