Thread: Replayed WC3...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Replayed WC3...

WC3 as a game was never my favorite, I always preferred the faster paced RTS's to the slower, less unit, micro, hero centric WC3 game.

However I will say that WC3 and it's expansion do one thing tremendously well and that's tell a great story and introduce lots of compelling lore.

That in my opinion is one reason WoW has gone downhill, WoW has never been good at introducing new lore that really capitvates people. Pretty much all the lore that people love about the game came from WC3 and that was vanilla and the first two expansions.

Pretty much everything they've done post WC3-lore has failed to capture the imagination and just doesn't really feel compelling IMO.

most of the lore in WoW vanilla-Wrath was a retelling of old lore or adding, so people were familiar with the people, however cata came and added new lore, people were less interested to try to learn something new. Its like TV shows, its easier to get someone to tune into the next season than it is to watch a new show.

It would be very hard to tell the story in such a good way in MMO, but probably possible. SWTOR tried with voice-acted quest texts, which was.. meh, as it felt too forced. WoW is trying to do so by voice-acting "important" quests, but fails horribly imo. Cutscenes are nice, but according to Blizzard, too expensive to create just to tell the story. I thought the raids in TBC told the story very well and took over where WC3 left some things, and that's the reason I think many people consider TBC raiding superior (although they may not realise this).

Karazhan - attunement quest was great and The Last Guardian book. You felt like you were exploring what happened to that place.

Magtheridon - badass ex-usurper of Outlands and you get to face the fattie, nice!

Black Temple - again, many characters from WC3 involved (Illidan, Akama, Maiev), the fall of the YOU ARE NOT PREPARED guy.

Tempest Keep and Serpentshrine Cavern - yet again, WC3 characters all over. Kael'thas prologue was just awesome (and not just hearing it once!).

CoT: Hyjal: although poorly done, still delivered the "replay experience" of a WC3 part.

And above all, in many many fights, it FELT like lore was a part of the boss fight. Call it nostalgia if you will, but compared to other raids lore-wise, TBC clearly wins. Ulduar was decent too. ICC had HUGE potential, but Blizzard failed (except LK fight itself, although the Ashbringer intervention was VERY lame). In Cataclysm, I felt like lore was not even a part of the raids. Nefarian back? Lame. Ragnaros back? Even more lame. Only fights where I felt SOME touch of lore were Cho'gall and Sinestra.
    Last edited by Cracked; 2012-12-27 at 06:11 PM.

Next wow xpack will add alot to the lore if the "rumors" are true. Its been hinted to the burning legion.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

Nothing wrong with the new lore. I call nostalgia on the whole "old lore is better" thing....

If recent WOW lore was in the original games and the old warcraft lore was the new lore in WOW then the OP would probably be saying the exact opposite of what he says now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd agree that Cata was underwhelming in terms of lore, but so far, MoP has been awesome; specially the DO and OS storylines with their tiered advancement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Nothing wrong with the new lore. I call nostalgia on the whole "old lore is better" thing....

If recent WOW lore was in the original games and the old warcraft lore was the new lore in WOW then the OP would probably be saying the exact opposite of what he says now.
    Man...what you just said, I can't....breathe....how can you make new lore old? Put Garrosh as father to Grom? Arthas... as, what will you do with WC 1 & 2 lore...ah so many questions,...breathe... you can't do that with lore...dude.
    Mindless...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I love about Warcraft in general, there's a lot of great lore if you look into it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    The lore is always expanding and changing, and for the better, to me. Though I did love WC3 so much. Best Warcraft game. I'll still have fond memories of 1 and 2, but 3 is where the story really unfolded.

I honestly think since WoW the over-arching stoy just hasn't been good. Cata just felt like a bad baaad sequel.

Thrall/Go el story has just become a joke.TBH I think Thralls story is over now.

Anduin is FAR too much of a sissy peaceloving hippy to have any depth.

Deathwing was terribly done so he seemed like a completely inept moron.

I actually liked how the whole Infinite Dragon flight mystery was building for years, so it's a shame they ended that entire thing in one faceroll dungeon.

Garrosh's motives and morals have been on such a rollercoaster that I'm quite sure Blizz have been making it all up patch by patch rather than them having any real story arc and progression penned down they want for the character.

I actually think some of the Panderen races have potential.I loved the storys and they could really be a part of something bigger. Likewise I think Wrathion, if his motives are a bit shadier and unexpected, could be a very good addition. Blizz just needs better story writers and plan 3/4 years of story and progression for it's universe all in advance.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

my opinion

We started Pandaria expansion with no real known big bad guy we one day have to face.
    That had my concerns.
    But as we go on, i enjoy the things reveal them self in pandaria. I like how the way how the story builds up around Garrosh, the mogu.
    Lots of hints that Y'Shaarj will return and we'll be fighting an old god again

It's there if you are looking for it
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm".
    And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
    Noctus <Darkblade>

New lore is fine, completely redoing/retconning something that was well established grinds my gears. Draenei lore i'm looking at you!

They were fine looking like Akama does.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    New lore is fine, completely redoing/retconning something that was well established grinds my gears. Draenei lore i'm looking at you!

They were fine looking like Akama does.
    I found The Broken lore very fun and entertaining. Too bad it was over so quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus78 View Post
    Lots of hints that Y'Shaarj will return and we'll be fighting an old god again
    We've already been told he is as dead as dead can be.

Every Expac had really great moments, and some not so great ones. That's just how it goes. For Me, Cata peaked at the "help Thrall" storyline. It was a fantastic questline that brought you to the center of what's happening. Like the Wrathgate of Angrathar, or Black Temple. There have been some amazing moments for me in this game. Even in MoP, the opening storyline to board the SkyFire and start an all out assault on the Horde was fantastic. Sadly, that is also where is climaxed. There have been hits and misses along the way, but this is still the best MMO on the market, with the largest fanbase and following, and has really been the measuring stick for every other game that has tried to launch since 2005.

So because WoW hasn't made an expansion based on WC3 in the past 2 it's gone down hill? I think it's better this way. If we do all of WC3 and then nothing else WoW would die.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deathwing destoying Stormwind was in WC2!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why i hated cata but I just did. The mists story so far has me enthralled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    Deathwing destoying Stormwind was in WC2!
    We killed Deathwing in WC2 Blizz rezzed him for a do-over lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    We killed Deathwing in WC2 Blizz rezzed him for a do-over lol
    Haha, yup... And.. he was part of the orcs if I remember correctly.