Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Python is good for learning.

Also the value of interesting project can be worth more than thousand books. If you have an idea for WoW addon, picking up Lua could be an option too.
    I second learning with Python first. I trying to jup right into C++ will either make your head explode or suck any free time away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I am just going to say, do not waste your time with C#. Either start Java or C++(if you consider long term commitment).
    That's a little ridiculous. C# is used all over the industry. Honestly I'd suggest C# over Java for the purposes of learning just because it's a little more refined. As a beginner, sifting through the Javadocs and various StackOverflow questions to find out which of the nine different ways you want to perform one task can get confusing and annoying.

Language itself is almost irrelevant (while staying in the same programming paradigm, e.g. do not try Erlang or Lisp, you'll break your brain).
    I am using C++ for cross-platform computer vision library (including windows, linux, android and bada platforms), so it's not a 100% rule that if you pick C++ you'll be doing nothing but server-side coding, and if you pick Java you'll do only web and mobile apps.
    The important thing is an attitude to acknowledge that you do not know a lot of things, and desire to learn constantly.
    As for the language - Java is probably the most friendly, because you do not need to worry about proper memory clean-up all that often, and standard library is superior to that of C++, so you probably will not have to learn all the data structures and sorting algorithms at the start.

I started with Java a year or so ago havent picked it up in a few months and about 2 weeks ago I decided to take a look into C++ myself I found like 3 or 4 ebooks on it and jumped right in after getting visual express setup. Made it thru the first few lessons with noticing syntaxx differences rather than concept differences. The book I grabbed was "Accelerated C++" was looking around and found a lot of recommendations for it. I have it paired with "C++ Primer" but havent opened it yet.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I am just going to say, do not waste your time with C#. Either start Java or C++(if you consider long term commitment).
    Thank you for the input, dude! I am thinking of starting with Java.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're completely blank about programming you should watch the entire series on Java programming here -> http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...A56BC7F4A1F852

Most of the stuff told here is useful for C++ also as Java is more or less C++(+).

You could also watch http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...6E58F856038C69 - which is more c++ only but also dives into other languages.

Lastly you can look at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...558D49CA734A02 - which includes C, Assembly, C++, Concurrent Programming, Scheme, and Python.

The videos are a bit old but the concepts in the videos still stand and they are very informative.
    Last edited by Gandilf; 2012-12-30 at 02:01 PM.