Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Headfilter View Post
    Who will regulate this? So basically you want to turn these "gun free zones" into police state sections, and futhermore just because its a "Gun free zone" isn't going to stop someone from walking into with a gun and opening fire...... YOU obviously dont know how they work.
    That is the ultimate point, though, as dumb as this petition may be; that gun free zones don't prevent people from walking in with a gun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I wasn't aware that Belgium covered the entirety of the European continent.
    Lets just say Belgium is a pretty standard Western-European country, only with better beer and a very good gastronomy (we invented the french fries, the french part of the name only refers to the way the potatoes are cut)

Except the difference is, you can be shot either way. Banning guns does not remove the possibility of being shot; for example, Australia's rate of gun violence is almost at pre-ban levels currently.
    No it doesnt remove the possibility of being shot, in fact there was a random shooting spree in Luik last year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Li%C3%A8ge_attack
    But it was an exception, this was the first shooting in a public place since WW2. Not having guns available freely does not remove the possibility of being shot. But it does makes the chance significantly smaller.

At least in the US, you have the option of being able to return fire.
    And possible wound/kill random bystanders, because lets face it, you're not a 1 hit 1 kill man unless you are within 10 feet (even if you are good at the shooting range)

The liberty to bear arms carries restrictions, it is not unconscionable that adding such a law would be Constitutional.
    I'm not going to comment on this, because I don't know the law in America, but I think the principle is reasonably similar to other western countries.

Please, having a gun does not 'make you safer', that is NRA propaganda. What it does is it creates options, and puts you at parity with or at advantage to an aggressor.
    Indeed it does not make you safer, because when its a tradition to carry concealed weapons, criminals will be shooting faster at random people because of the possible threat of a concealed weapon. You aren't putting yourself on par with the 'badguys', you are making yourself a threat and therefor painting a big target on your head and on the heads of others around you.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    That's my culture and view, I'd rather prefer I keep my freedoms, such as being able to keep my guns, I understand differing views, however it's seems to be that because I hold these views, I'm automatically a demon, as compared to how others expected to be treated when they want to take away my freedom.
    You are not a demon, nobody thinks that. You do however act like the stereotype American by talking about freedom like that. You do realize that by saying this you indirectly imply that other country's are not free.

Being able to own weapons does not make you free. You never will be free, infact if you where completly free you would be an outcast to society, because (I'l keep repeating this) the more people you live together with, the more freedom you are giving up. Living in a huge thriving society like todays has its price.

Owning weapons should be a privilige, obtained after a couple of years of police/guard training where you learn to prevent the use of weapons(any weapon from knife to assault rifle). It shouldn't be a right.
    But like you said different cultures ....
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2012-12-28 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    Chicago and Houston have similar populations, Chicago having around 600,000 more, however, I can account personally for the number of shootings I've personally eye-witnessed.

Which is 0.
    What's your point? I've lived in Los Angeles my entire life and I've never seen anybody shot either. That has nothing to do with gun control, that's just random happenstance.

The FBI keeps track of all crime stats and the South is the most violent place in the country. And by a relatively wide margin too. Sorry if reality doesn't comport with your world view.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Gotta add a few cents to this discussion.

I have my CCL and own several guns, at least one would fall into the category of an "Assault Rifle". That being said, I think there should be a national discussion on gun regulation. This doesn't mean we should ban any/all guns, but we should have an open and honest discussion about it, looking at facts and opinions from both sides. This is apparently not allowed in congress, and the public seems incapable...

We see it all the time here on the forums, but it's not any better up to the highest levels of government. Take this thread for example. Do you think the OP had ANY room for a dissenting opinion when he created this thread? We see the same thing all over. People want to talk, but no one wants to listen. People look for facts to support their opinion instead of looking for facts to INFORM their opinion.

On the internet (and in life) it is easy to hear someone express an opinion, and then lump them in with people who you have heard share that opinion. You start to argue past each other because instead of listening to their point, you are already forming your counter-argument. Usually this counter-argument isn't even directed at the person you are talking to, but some other person or thing you read about before.

I'd like to address a few specific statements from this thread:

Guns are designed for...
    Guns are a tool, but they are a tool that is designed with a very limited purpose. That purpose is to injure or kill another living being. A tool that has this purpose has another name which is "Weapon". Now weapons are in fact tools, but I prefer to call a spade a spade. Are you in favor of limiting US citizens access to weapons?

Gun Free Zones:
    The purpose of a gun free zone is to remove the ambiguity of a gun threat, not to prevent criminals entering with guns. No one thinks that putting up a sign will prevent a madman from breaking the law. Yet we still post speed limits. This way the average person knows what is expected of them, and someone traveling 120 has no excuse when caught. In the same vein, someone carrying a gun into a Gun Free Zone can be instantly identified as a threat, rather than having to wonder if they are just some child's uncle there to pick him up with an AR-15 for self protection / hunting. I'm not saying it works, but lets be clear on the intent rather than characterizing the other side as unable to comprehend basic logic. I will repeat one more time: NO ONE THINKS GUN FREE ZONES ARE MAGIC.

So much more... but I can't spend all of my time on the internet. These were just two that I see as comments that are made over and over again, that really don't carry water.

Aside from what you may conclude my opinions are on gun control from the above statements, here are some really well thought out points from someone who is against increasing gun control:
    http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    Guess you do not seem to understand how a "gun free zone" works. If guns are not allowed, then the people in the "gun free zone" will be safe from assasins or crazy people.
    This logic is flawed. You can still kill someone without a gun, need I remind you of prisons? And other "controlled" places.

A situation like making something out of objects for ill purpose use, projectile or not.

To say otherwise is foolish. the next process you will see is the 2nd amendment being "voided" and what then? when 1 is stricken. that just means the rest will follow sooner or later. I will say it again (the word foolish) to think that's not possible is also foolish.

The very essence of our country is based on a sacred document that millions have died for, what makes us so different from the rest of the world. I think the deaths should not be in vain when people think of now, rather then consequences or tomorrow. Think about that.

All of this nonsense goes back to the core. 'the right to bear arms"
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    This logic is flawed. You can still kill someone without a gun, need I remind you of prisons? And other "controlled" places.

A situation like making something out of objects for ill purpose use, projectile or not.

To say otherwise is foolish. the next process you will see is the 2nd amendment being "voided" and what then? when 1 is stricken. that just means the rest will follow sooner or later. I will say it again (the word foolish) to think that's not possible is also foolish.

The very essence of our country is based on a sacred document that millions have died for, what makes us so different from the rest of the world. I think the deaths should not be in vain when people think of now, rather then consequences or tomorrow. Think about that.

All of this nonsense goes back to the core. 'the right to bear arms"
    I find it ironic that you remind us that people died to protect the constitution, in a discussion when the guns allowed by the Constitution are causing even more people to die.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    I find it ironic that you remind us that people died to protect the constitution, in a discussion when the guns allowed by the Constitution are causing even more people to die.
    :|
    Yep, those same guns that helped stop Charles Whitman.

Oh but wait, they're vigilantes right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    Guess you do not seem to understand how a "gun free zone" works. If guns are not allowed, then the people in the "gun free zone" will be safe from assasins or crazy people.
    because that will totally stop the criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Im glad you value the president's life over your own or over any other citizen's life. He is just a man. A human life. The value of his life is no greater than the quadriplegic child's life that is sitting there trying to scratch his back. Again, you want an example of people kill people and not guns kill people? Look at the crime rate for firearms in switzerland. They have better firearm crime rates than England and France both of which have MUCH stricter gun laws. The problem is not guns. Its the people.
    And since we have the worst people, we need more protection. How is this topic even being debated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    What's your point? I've lived in Los Angeles my entire life and I've never seen anybody shot either. That has nothing to do with gun control, that's just random happenstance.

The FBI keeps track of all crime stats and the South is the most violent place in the country. And by a relatively wide margin too. Sorry if reality doesn't comport with your world view.
    What do they define as the South? If you're including states that border Mexico, that's a no-brainer that they'd have more violence.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    What do they define as the South? If you're including states that border Mexico, that's a no-brainer that they'd have more violence.
    I'm guessing everything south of the mason-dixon line? I mean, that is what I consider 'the south'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I'm guessing everything south of the mason-dixon line? I mean, that is what I consider 'the south'.
    There's the south, southeast, southwest, mid south, etc. Lots of areas that could all be "south."
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Hello friends.

We must protect the President, the Vice-President and their families. The only way to do so is to create "Gun Free Zones" around them.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...zones/6RDGkxLK

We no longer should need the Secret Service or other armed guards, once we create these "Gun Free Zones."

Help Protect Barack Hussein Obama by signing this pledge.
    It already is a gun free zone since we dont need the wackos on the far right with there home grown skills in sharpshooting to protect our elected leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Uruhara View Post
    Gotta add a few cents to this discussion.

I have my CCL and own several guns, at least one would fall into the category of an "Assault Rifle". That being said, I think there should be a national discussion on gun regulation. This doesn't mean we should ban any/all guns, but we should have an open and honest discussion about it, looking at facts and opinions from both sides. This is apparently not allowed in congress, and the public seems incapable...

We see it all the time here on the forums, but it's not any better up to the highest levels of government. Take this thread for example. Do you think the OP had ANY room for a dissenting opinion when he created this thread? We see the same thing all over. People want to talk, but no one wants to listen. People look for facts to support their opinion instead of looking for facts to INFORM their opinion.

On the internet (and in life) it is easy to hear someone express an opinion, and then lump them in with people who you have heard share that opinion. You start to argue past each other because instead of listening to their point, you are already forming your counter-argument. Usually this counter-argument isn't even directed at the person you are talking to, but some other person or thing you read about before.

I'd like to address a few specific statements from this thread:

Guns are designed for...
    Guns are a tool, but they are a tool that is designed with a very limited purpose. That purpose is to injure or kill another living being. A tool that has this purpose has another name which is "Weapon". Now weapons are in fact tools, but I prefer to call a spade a spade. Are you in favor of limiting US citizens access to weapons?

Gun Free Zones:
    The purpose of a gun free zone is to remove the ambiguity of a gun threat, not to prevent criminals entering with guns. No one thinks that putting up a sign will prevent a madman from breaking the law. Yet we still post speed limits. This way the average person knows what is expected of them, and someone traveling 120 has no excuse when caught. In the same vein, someone carrying a gun into a Gun Free Zone can be instantly identified as a threat, rather than having to wonder if they are just some child's uncle there to pick him up with an AR-15 for self protection / hunting. I'm not saying it works, but lets be clear on the intent rather than characterizing the other side as unable to comprehend basic logic. I will repeat one more time: NO ONE THINKS GUN FREE ZONES ARE MAGIC.

So much more... but I can't spend all of my time on the internet. These were just two that I see as comments that are made over and over again, that really don't carry water.

Aside from what you may conclude my opinions are on gun control from the above statements, here are some really well thought out points from someone who is against increasing gun control:
    http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/
    I think after all of this discussion ive come to the same realization. I dont feel any gun should be made illegal, but we need to regulate it a lot better. We need gun regulation not gun control. I have no issue if they said you need to pay to have a psych eval every year to keep your firearms. If they actually enforced and had harsher penalties for illegal firearms i would have no issue with that. I think its fear getting in the way of good discussions. When idiots come out and immediately say BAN your going to put people on the defensive. You dont want to initiate discussions with panic causing wording.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Why? Because people disagree with his opinions?

Fucking hell. Any time there's a major incident the crazies and the ignorant come out in force.
    As I see it Mr Morgan is exercising his first amendment right to speak about the 2nd amendment; Perhaps the folks that submitted and signed said petition are exercising THEIR first amendment rights. While I think about it, if the exercise of someone's first amendment rights is not what Mr Morgan had or his supporters had in mind, then perhaps he should use better judgement in what he says and to whom.

in parting, exercising your right of free speech doesn't make someone a crazy or ignorant.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 01:56 PM ----------

Um, I think you need to revisit the what the powers and responsibilities of the executive office are.

By that right, we should "deport" half of MSNBC, whatever that channel Nancy Grace is on, and almost all of Fox News. Toss in a few from CNN and some other stations as well.

What a foolish thing to say. The man's loud, obnoxious, arrogant and a bit of a dick. That makes him fit in quite well with the world's perception of Americans.
    Unfortunately, those you are suggesting 'deporting' are probably US Born Citizens, and thus, couldn't be deported. Mr Morgan, on the other hand, as I understand is a subject of Her Majesty.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 02:02 PM ----------

No, it's not. But the kind of shit behind the petition on it's supporters is a big deal. The kind of blind ignorance and utter contempt for those they don't agree with, while turning a blind eye to those they do agree with, is a big fucking issue in this country. Why do you think it's so hard for congress to agree on a damn thing? There used to be a thing called compromise, and that barely exists nowadays.
    To reach compromise, it takes all the parties involved, and it requires all parties involved to grasp that they aren't going to get everything they want. Short answer, the Dems don't respect the GOP, the GOP doesn't respect the Dems, both are dug in, and both don't wanna budge. Personally, I find anyone that willfully, maliciously and without remorse attacks the other side as not worth of respect, consideration or to be compromised with. I give respect until the other person proves to me they no longer deserve it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Why is that? Most violence related to Mexicans--shockingly--happens in Mexico.

I suspect crime rates in the South tend to be higher because of poverty, and warm weather. People don't go out as much and end up confronting each other (leading to violence) when it's freezing out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    As I see it Mr Morgan is exercising his first amendment right to speak about the 2nd amendment; Perhaps the folks that submitted and signed said petition are exercising THEIR first amendment rights. While I think about it, if the exercise of someone's first amendment rights is not what Mr Morgan had or his supporters had in mind, then perhaps he should use better judgement in what he says and to whom.

in parting, exercising your right of free speech doesn't make someone a crazy or ignorant.
    Sure, they can start a petition. Having any expectation of them getting their way is ridiculous, though, and would be hypocritical. Saying you want somebody deported is using one's speech. Getting them deported in order to silence them, however, is a violation of the other's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Sure, they can start a petition. Having any expectation of them getting their way is ridiculous, though, and would be hypocritical. Saying you want somebody deported is using one's speech. Getting them deported in order to silence them, however, is a violation of the other's.
    In order to deport Mr Morgan you'd have to be able to prove he violated the laws.

Grounds of Deportability
    Here's a brief summary of the types of personal characteristics or history that may make someone deportable.
    Having gained legal status by committing marriage fraud
    Being a terrorist
    Having been convicted of certain crimes
    Having helped smuggle aliens into the U.S.
    Having not deserved an earlier grant of legal status, because the person was inadmissible at the time
    Having failed to timely notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of one's changes of address
    Having falsely claimed to be a U.S. citizen in order to gain a benefit from the government
    Thusfar I've seen no evidence of anyone presenting a cogent case to deport him, as I see the petition its reactionary and appears quite baseless. Despite that, it DID get the public attention it was seeking, and it DID bring a smile to those that viscerally dislike Mr Morgan.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Seran
    Signing the petition without any expectation of it working is fine. Expecting it to happen, and I do imagine that quite a number of people do want it to happen, would be a violation of the first amendment, and as a result would make that line of attack a hypocritical one. At that point I just start crossing off people from my imaginary list of people to take seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    @Seran
    Signing the petition without any expectation of it working is fine. Expecting it to happen, and I do imagine that quite a number of people do want it to happen, would be a violation of the first amendment, and as a result would make that line of attack a hypocritical one. At that point I just start crossing off people from my imaginary list of people to take seriously.
    I might not like him, I might not agree with him, however, I dont think he should be deported, I see nothing he's done that warrants it.