Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

General Schwarzkopf dies, aged 78

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20855937

Retired US General Norman Schwarzkopf has died in Tampa, Florida, US media has reported. He was 78.

Gen Schwarzkopf - known as Stormin' Norman - was commander of coalition forces in the first Gulf War in 1990-91.

The US-led coalition drove Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait.

Former US President George H W Bush described Gen Schwarzkopf as "one of the great military leaders of his generation".

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20855937

Retired US General Norman Schwarzkopf has died in Tampa, Florida, US media has reported. He was 78.

Gen Schwarzkopf - known as Stormin' Norman - was commander of coalition forces in the first Gulf War in 1990-91.

The US-led coalition drove Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait.

Former US President George H W Bush described Gen Schwarzkopf as "one of the great military leaders of his generation".
    "Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

He killed thousands of innocent Iraqis. He led a pre-planned war against Iraq, that Kuwait started by diagonally drilling into Iraq land.

It would be like calling someone a great Battleground leader after winning Alterac Valley when the losing side only had five players, and the winning side had 40 players.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

General Norman Schwarzkopf 1934-2012 at age 78

Retired as a 4 Star General in 1991

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Schwarzkopf,_Jr.

Norman Schwarzkopf Dead - General Norman Schwarzkopf Dies

Monterey Trading Institute w/ Norman Schwarzkopf on CNBC

http://www.dw.de/famed-us-military-c...ead/a-16483604

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/27/genera...tormin-norman/

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:26 PM ----------

please note this is my original post someone made a double post !
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-12-28 at 03:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Merged threads.

the last great general of the United States has died....=(
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great General

Patton
    MacAuthur
    And Schwarzkopf

I figure that the pentagon and army will do something in his honor !

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    "Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

He killed thousands of innocent Iraqis. He led a pre-planned war against Iraq, that Kuwait started by diagonally drilling into Iraq land.

It would be like calling someone a great Battleground leader after winning Alterac Valley when the losing side only had five players, and the winning side had 40 players.
    sniff sniff i smell LIBERAL !

"Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

"Pre-planned"? I really, really, really want to get into a head like yours sometime. I mean, do you really think Kuwait - a tiny, non existent nation with it's tiny, non existent military - dared one of the most powerful nations in the region to attack it, just so the UN could come in and push Iraq back and have nothing at all change? It's not like any political influence was gained or land was taken. Or let me guess, the fact that the status quo was maintained and nothing at all changed in the region after the war was over is just proof that they NEW WORLD GOVERNMENT sometimes fails at their insidious plans.

By the way, one of the biggest reasons why we DIDN'T take over Iraq in 1991 is that Norman Schwarzkopf wasn't stupid and knew that us staying there would solve nothing, be expensive, and mire us in a conflict for over a decade. He was very outspoken about any sort of occupation and - being the commander of the forces there - was instrumental in ensuring that didn't happen, even if a couple of people didn't think it was a bad idea with all the trouble Iraq had been the last couple years.

Edit: Also, nobody ever took the whole slant-drilling into Rumalia thing seriously, even Iraq. It was an off hand comment by one of their ministers. The entire reason to the war was that Kuwait was reneging on their part of the OPEC deal by selling more than their quota of oil, driving oil prices down and costing Iraq a little over a billion dollars a year. The whole slant drilling thing was literally some Iraqi minister responding to a question about where Kuwait is getting all this extra oil from if that's what they're doing, to which he replied the equivalent of, "I don't know, probably stealing it from Rumalia." Nobody - including the people who said it - ever took the accusation(it wasn't even one) seriously.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2012-12-28 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my favorite generals. I hope some kind of memorial is erected for Schwarzkopf!
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    "Pre-planned"? I really, really, really want to get into a head like yours sometime. I mean, do you really think Kuwait - a tiny, non existent nation with it's tiny, non existent military - dared one of the most powerful nations in the region to attack it, just so the UN could come in and push Iraq back and have nothing at all change? It's not like any political influence was gained or land was taken. Or let me guess, the fact that the status quo was maintained and nothing at all changed in the region after the war was over is just proof that they NEW WORLD GOVERNMENT sometimes fails at their insidious plans.

By the way, one of the biggest reasons why we DIDN'T take over Iraq in 1991 is that Norman Schwarzkopf wasn't stupid and knew that us staying there would solve nothing, be expensive, and mire us in a conflict for over a decade. He was very outspoken about any sort of occupation and - being the commander of the forces there - was instrumental in ensuring that didn't happen, even if a couple of people didn't think it was a bad idea with all the trouble Iraq had been the last couple years.

Edit: Also, nobody ever took the whole slant-drilling into Rumalia thing seriously, even Iraq. It was an off hand comment by one of their ministers. The entire reason to the war was that Kuwait was reneging on their part of the OPEC deal by selling more than their quota of oil, driving oil prices down and costing Iraq a little over a billion dollars a year. The whole slant drilling thing was literally some Iraqi minister responding to a question about where Kuwait is getting all this extra oil from if that's what they're doing, to which he replied the equivalent of, "I don't know, probably stealing it from Rumalia." Nobody - including the people who said it - ever took the accusation(it wasn't even one) seriously.
    Not to mention nobody actually dies when playing WoW >_> So his analogy was....very silly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Bush SR is next cant wait for that
    Little harsh to wish for the man's death don't you think?
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

I think it's hilarious that nobody really hated Bush Sr(no more than any other sitting president) when he was in office, but after his son's presidency it's so easy to just lump the two of them together. I also imagine the type of person who says "Bush SR is next cant wait for that" on an internet video game message board isn't even old enough to really remember his presidency.

"Great Military Leader"?

WTF.

By your logic President Truman and every other person involved in the Manhattan Project, as well as in the deployment and use of the Atomic Bomb, is guilty of war crimes and should have been hung.

The reality is he led us to repeated victories in War in a region of the world that many other leaders, both foreign and local, have not been able.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    sniff sniff i smell LIBERAL !
    He's not a liberal... he's just an fool. No liberal I know would act like that, especially about Schwarzkopf.

Take it from this liberal, most of us are not happy about him dying either... Many of us would've actually wanted him for President instead of Bush Jr...

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 05:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    I think it's hilarious that nobody really hated Bush Sr(no more than any other sitting president) when he was in office, but after his son's presidency it's so easy to just lump the two of them together. I also imagine the type of person who says "Bush SR is next cant wait for that" on an internet video game message board isn't even old enough to really remember his presidency.
    I don't - and don't let that one internet jackass represent the liberal side. Speaking as a liberal I actually thought Bush Sr was pretty OK (My mom and I share that secret, keeping it from my Dad. :P).

Though Bush Jr... holy hell...

I actually laughed, hearing how Bush Sr. was actually creating/assigning Bush Jr committees and advisory boards just to try to curb some of his son's madness.

That's why I firmly believe Jeb is at least going to try for office in 2016 as I believe he is going to try to restore dignity to his family name. Of course I believe he'll fail at getting the vote during the GOP primaries - nothing against him, but the Bush name is WAY too tarnished at this point to try to save it, and if anything he will be avoided for pure tactical reasons.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2012-12-28 at 05:16 AM.

Extra sadface from me

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    he probably would have made a decent president, one of the better high ranking generals since the 90s. said to see him pass.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Extra sadface from me
    For some reason when I read the thread title, my mind first jumped to you lol.

Allowed the murder of thousands of surrendering and defeated iraqi soldiers destroying any goodwill.
    Did not argue strongly enough for taking down saddam.
    Only a Bush would say something as stupid as "greatest military leader". who'd he beat? a nation that wanted out, with a coalition of the entire world at his back?

so comical.

I don't like the military leaders of an imperial war machine bent on world resource control. glad when they die to be honest for all of the innocents they "liberated" and all the "freedom" they provide us.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    who'd he beat?
    The 4th largest army in the world in one of the most lopsided victories in the history of warfare.

I don't like the military leaders of an imperial war machine bent on world resource control. glad when they die to be honest for all of the innocents they "liberated" and all the "freedom" they provide us.
    stay classy

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    The 4th largest army in the world in one of the most lopsided victories in the history of warfare.

stay classy
    Granted the Iraqi's were outclassed in every way, but it was still an amazing victory; both for the General and his soldiers.

Allowed the murder of thousands of surrendering and defeated iraqi soldiers destroying any goodwill.
    Did not argue strongly enough for taking down saddam.
    Only a Bush would say something as stupid as "greatest military leader". who'd he beat? a nation that wanted out, with a coalition of the entire world at his back?

so comical.

Learn more about Desert Storm before you make yourself look like an ass, please. Desert Storm was basically stopping what would have been another Hitler from gaining more power.

Desert Storm was the kind of Operation that should have happened when Germany Blitzed Poland.

The United States didn't gain land, didn't invade Iraq, and didn't intentionally kill civilians (nor have they ever intentionally killed civies, despite what a lot of nutjobs want you to think). They pushed the Iraqi army out of Kuwait, then gave them a nasty show of force to make sure they stayed out for a long time.

Even France was in on the Coaltion, and they never get involved with anything, ever.

What should the US and Coalition have done? Thrown a friend under the bus while they were screaming for help, while their people were being slaughtered?

On topic: It's sad to see a hero pass from this life, but he lived a good long life and I hope hes watching over us all now.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2012-12-28 at 06:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Great General

Patton
    MacAuthur
    And Schwarzkopf
    Never understand what make the generals great expect they was on the winning side. All the generals did have all the benefits/advantage of more troops/material, more logistic, air superiority, the strategic initiative etc, you are expected to win, it only prove that they do not suck.

Remember then MacAuthur did fight and did not have all the of advantage of more troops/material, more logistic, air superiority he lost badly in the Philippines and did make a "draw" in Korea.

A great general can win then he do not have the advantage, a smart general trying to get all the advantage he can before he do battle. Your great generals is only entitle to be smart generals.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2012-12-28 at 07:50 AM.