What spec is best If I just want to spam ranged [PVE]

I just want to spam Shuriken Toss.

I tried it doing it in wintersgrasp today and it was really fun.

I want to do this in dungeons and lfr as well.

Should I go Assassin for extra deadly poison damage? Combat for extra thrown damage? Sub for extra energy via SnD+extra Deadly throw damage via mastery?

Also is it even worth taking deadly throw? I costs 5 more energy and does at 5 combo points (in my gear as assassination)the same damage as shuriken toss.

And tips and tricks welcome, Thanks!
    Last edited by Emophia; 2012-12-25 at 10:40 PM.

Deleted
    sounds like fun, I guess sub for extra damage

Deleted
    Fun project, but due to its somewhat fluffy nature there is no theorycrafting available that can relieve you of some 1-on-1 time with the Target Dummy.

Testing or SimCrafting which does more damage shouldn't take long.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't take deadly throw, out side of SnD how are you going to burn CP?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    I just want to spam Shuriken Toss.

I tried it doing it in wintersgrasp today and it was really fun.

I want to do this in dungeons and lfr as well.

Should I go Assassin for extra deadly poison damage? Combat for extra thrown damage? Sub for extra energy via SnD+extra Deadly throw damage via mastery?

Also is it even worth taking deadly throw? I costs 5 more energy and does at 5 combo points (in my gear as assassination)the same damage as shuriken toss.

And tips and tricks welcome, Thanks!
    Honestly I would just try it with all three on a dummy (easy rotation lol......) for a while and see which spec works best. All three have different aspects that could benefit the style.

something to try for in LFR!

haha... sounds interesting, but I think I would get bored of it after a day.

Definitely not combat as you'll have to build insight lvl's and shuriken toss is not capable of that.

Insight doesn't matter. The other specs don't have insight, after all- you can't build insight as sub or assassination either.

As Combat- I got around 28k. I started substantially higher, because of AR and shadow blades allowing extra stuff.

Combat's advantage here is the extra energy regeneration from vitalitiy. I'm not sure whether crit or haste will help you more- my money is on a full crit reforge. Mastery is NOT A STAT for your build, make sure to treat any point of mastery you end up with as 0 stats.

As Sub- I got around 34k. I didn't burst as high as combat, but it's clear that the mastery on my gear was helpful. Note that as sub, you want slice and dice going for the extra (and substatial) energy. This would be higher in a raid with HAT procs. I'm not sure whether mastery, haste, or crit will help you the most.

As Assassination I hung around 30k. Vendetta is nice for this, but running with same energy regereration as an unspecced rogue hurts you for sure. The benefit of deadly poison wasn't stupendous- in a normal fight this is so good because it is on every autoattack, remember.

ST was my top damage source as all specs. It made up the biggest portion of damage as combat (63%), probably because combat has good energy regeneration but a poor finisher. Deadly poison DoT was the second place for assassination at 28%, and combat at 17%, but mastery boosted deadly throw was the second place guy for sub, at 24%.

I think sub is the CLEAR winner for pure ranged dps rogues. Don't tell Blizzard or this will become the go-to ranged specs for rogues, and they'll nerf our mastery or something :P

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I think sub is the CLEAR winner for pure ranged dps rogues. Don't tell Blizzard or this will become the go-to ranged specs for rogues, and they'll nerf our mastery or something :P
    No they won't because then you would be still gimping yourself by around 30k dps.

This type of play will probably do more damage in 5.2 with the buff to ST. It's still never going to be optimal though.

Before exalted, I soloed the Shieldwall crab with ST > DT kiting. I did ~35k as Assassination, but he has a shield that lowers damage.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    No they won't because then you would be still gimping yourself by around 30k dps.
    Well, more than that. But I'm joking. That's just how GC explained the deletion of blade flurry.

On further thought, I'm pretty sure that crit is the clear winner for secondary stat. But we'd have to do a bit of math to know for sure, and I doubt there's enough demand for this.

Sub is better, When I solo'd Al'akir, sub worked out alot better than combat did for throwing even without deadly throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Insight doesn't matter. The other specs don't have insight, after all- you can't build insight as sub or assassination either.
    What a shit argument.. Ofcourse Insight matters for Combat.
    The other specs don't get Insight because their damage output isn't based around it.

Losing Insight is a huge portion of damage.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    What a shit argument.. Ofcourse Insight matters for Combat.
    The other specs don't get Insight because their damage output isn't based around it.

Losing Insight is a huge portion of damage.
    Pretty much what he said. But if you can run in and keep up rupture, sub is pretty decent.

Combat's dps is based largely on bandit's guile and cooldown usage/reduction (both which require melee). Assassination's dps is based on poisons, which ST/DT procs, but envenom is a big part of that. Sub's dps is based on a bleed being present, which you don't apply from ranged.

You're losing a key mechanic with each spec.

Sub also has more energy regen off-target than combat so not only will ST/DT and poisons do more damage than combat, but sub will be able to spam buttons more often than combat too, so sub would do WAY better at range than combat. I don't know how that would compare to the extra poison damage from assassination, though.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2012-12-28 at 04:28 PM.