10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year

2 Piece LFR or Normal Gear? Help, please :)

So tonight I ran my Terrence LFR for the Chimera for the legendary gem. Upon killing Sha, I looted the LFR helm, and already had the LFR Gloves. However, my choice is a tough one. I currently have the 496 Helm from Garalon, and the Gloves from Spirit Kings.

Since I SUCK at simming all together, I need help. I tried using Ask Mr. Robot to see what the difference would be. Running with the 2pt14 LFR was a slight advantage, but I dont really know how much truth is in that. Here were my results:

MY GEAR - OPTIMIZED 145712 (100%) <- Normal Pieces
    MY GEAR - OPTIMIZED 146425 (100%) <- 2pt14 LFR

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...emindar/simple
    I am Arcane, with going Mastery over Haste.
    I am NOT scorch weaving to maintain 6 stacks (mine as well get used to not playing it, as it will be nerfed soon anyways)

Getting the NORMAL 2pt14 is NOT really an option for me at this point.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm sorry I don't directly have an answer to your question. My gut would say that you should go with the two piece, because that 5% bonus to Arcane Missiles is pretty huge. Think of it this way: Before the two piece bonus, does the intellect and mastery gained by your Garalon and Spirit Kings pieces increase the damage of your Arcane Missiles by 5% over the LFR tier helm and gloves? Probably not. The stat allocations of a 483 aren't much lower than 489 (gloves), so you're really only losing stats from your 496 helm. I personally replaced a 489 helm with the LFR tier helm and it was worth it.

Like I said though, I don't really have an answer. I did want to comment on two other things from your post.

First, I disagree that you might as well get used to stack dropping because scorch-weaving be nerfed soon. I mostly disagree with the term "soon." Philosophically, the game has no ending. There will always be additions, subtractions, and changes. So the idea is to perform the best you can at any particular time, which is why we try to get the best gear possible, even though we know we'll replace it "soon." My point is, 5.2 likely won't be out until at least march. That's at least a good eight weeks of raiding where you'll be underperforming, at least according to the best minds out there, who say that scorch-weaving beats stack dropping right now. Of course, maybe your group isn't pushing progression too hard, and the extra X% damage you'd be doing by scorch-weaving wouldn't help down any bosses your group can't currently down, in which case you can totally disregard what I just said. However, since your goal of starting this thread in the first place is to squeeze out a tiny bit of extra damage, I humbly suggest that you at least give scorch-weaving a shot, since you will squeeze out more damage that way, right now, today, in the current patch.

Secondly, I got my normal mode 2 piece (legs and gloves) from the Sha of Anger. I assume you're killing him every week, but if you're not, make sure you are and that you're using an elder charm, since pre-heroics they're both pretty much BiS, and thus would be the best way for you to spend an elder charm. I only say this because you said that getting the normal mode two piece tier 14 set bonus isn't an option, presumably since your group isn't doing anything past Garalon in Heart of Fear and/or Tsulong in Terrace of Endless Spring. I just wanted to point out, in case you were unaware (which you probably weren't) that the Sha of Anger drops two pieces of tier 14 gear. Plus, if you were able to get those, you could use your Garalon helm and Spirit Kings gloves until you get the LFR or normal mode tier shoulders or robes.

So my best guess would be this:
    Current: Whatever robes, shoulders, and legs you have on now, with the LFR tier gloves and helm (but keep the non-set gloves and helm in your bank).

Then once you get the normal gloves from Sha of Anger, replace the LFR gloves and vendor them.
    If you get the normal legs from Sha of Anger first, replace your current legs with them, and replace the LFR helm with the Garalon helm (but keep the LFR helm in your bank).

Once you get both the normal gloves and legs from Sha of Anger, wear both of those, obviously. Wear the Garalon helm and keep the LFR helm in your bags just in case you get another tier piece. I'm unsure if gaining the 4 piece bonus using an LFR tier helm would warrant replacing a 496 helm, but it probably is.
    Last edited by Seikilos; 2012-12-28 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikilos View Post
    I just wanted to point out, in case you were unaware (which you probably weren't) that the Sha of Anger drops two pieces of tier 14 gear.
    Killed him every week since launch and have used a token every time except the first and still have got nothing but 2 sets of pvp gloves. Perhaps OP is in the same boat and has simply given up hope that they will drop, lol. Also I have yet to get a single tier piece from LFR either, but that's just my rotten luck.

OP: I'm not totally sure for arcane, but i know for fire lfr two-piece is worth taking even over most Heroic non set pieces. I'd imagine the two-piece bonus for arcane would be similarly worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the middle of the ocean for 7 months out of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Killed him every week since launch and have used a token every time except the first and still have got nothing but 2 sets of pvp gloves. Perhaps OP is in the same boat and has simply given up hope that they will drop, lol. Also I have yet to get a single tier piece from LFR either, but that's just my rotten luck.

OP: I'm not totally sure for arcane, but i know for fire lfr two-piece is worth taking even over most Heroic non set pieces. I'd imagine the two-piece bonus for arcane would be similarly worth it.

Haha yep! The only thing Sha ever gives me is PvP gloves (Infact, ive gotten 3 of them so far. Yay?)

But I actually checked EJ last night, and it seems RAWR has been updated for mages and includes all the current buffs and nerfs. It does indeed sim higher. Thank you guys for all the help!

I do believe I only lose like 3% damage form the base mastery, and a decent amount of haste, but I will be going with my 2pt14. Thanks for all the help

Deleted
    Go for set bonus always imho.