Poll: Should alimony still exist?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alimony seems as dated as dowries.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    No, it should not exist.

In addition, assets should not be split "down the middle". Assets should be split proportionally to who actually paid for them.
    Indeed.

I will never get married, but if I did then they would be signing a prenup, that's for damn sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Alright, sex aside, do you really think that marriage is just being used to 'play house'?

No, i do not, and if you read you would clearly see i stated that marriage as a state has been diminished to the point it really doesnt mean anything anymore. Today it is in essence about status and title and a image of playing house.

Where as before even with the bad aspects was atleast about building a life together.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2012-12-28 at 11:32 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    You're concentrating on all the negative aspects as they apply to women, and all the innocent victim aspects as they apply to men. That very strongly implies the belief that women are in fact at fault because women in general are bad and out to get men. Your actual words were borderline, but the implication behind them is definitely woman bashing.
    70% of divorces are initiated by women. That is a stone fact. There's no bias in saying it, either. Half of marriage end in divorce. That means 1 out of 3 men who get married are going to have their wife drop a bomb on them later in life. Those are some seriously shitty odds. You can argue I'm biased for bringing the facts up, of course... but you can't say the facts, themselves, are biased.

I realize a lot of people disagree with me, but I believe that being a parent is 100% about your time and care, and 0% about biologically contributing to the creation of that child. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I'm the result of artificial insemination, and grew up with the knowledge that some random dude who jacked off in a cup may have been my genetic contributor, but my father was my father.
    Yeah... I'm gonna go with "no". If someone agrees to raise kids that aren't their own that's one thing. If he is tricked into it (because only a "he" could be tricked into raising a kid that isn't his) that's an entirely unconscionable act. The discovery of that should forfeit all the offender's marital rights.

Personally I'd always get a paternity test done. Because they're $100 and why the fuck not. $100 for a lifetime of peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Personally I'd always get a paternity test done. Because they're $100 and why the fuck not. $100 for a lifetime of peace of mind.
    :O My friend got a paternity test like the day his son was born. He didn't even ell his wife lol, he did it secretly just to be sure and she never knew, and will never know. I agree, paternity tests are good. I didn't k ow they were so cheap though, the trailer trash you see on Maury would suggest they were like $1000 or something lol.

Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    The U.S. and Japan have different systems.. or at least different names for our systems
    In the U.S. there is only one type of alimony. and that's to keep the woman living in her current lifestyle. The other type of alimony you mentioned is what we call 'child support'.

We actually pretty much have the same view but differences in the names of these systems between our countries has lead to a misunderstanding.
    Alright fair enough. Also, I'm actually from The Netherlands, just currently living in Japan for studies. I have no idea how the Japanese system for alimony works

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    70% of divorces are initiated by women. That is a stone fact. There's no bias in saying it, either. Half of marriage end in divorce. That means 1 out of 3 men who get married are going to have their wife drop a bomb on them later in life. Those are some seriously shitty odds. You can argue I'm biased for bringing the facts up, of course... but you can't say the facts, themselves, are biased.
    The statistics themselves may be fact. Your interpretation that all of these terrible women "dropped a bomb" on their unsuspecting husbands is not necessarily true. Why did those women initiate divorce? Were they beaten? Cheated on? Verbally abused? Ignored totally? Just plain fell out of love with the guy? Or were they deliberately hatching plans to take these poor victims to the cleaners in divorce court? If you take out all the women with an undeniably excellent reason for seeking divorce (abuse, cheating, etc) what does that do to the statistic?

Yeah... I'm gonna go with "no". If someone agrees to raise kids that aren't their own that's one thing. If he is tricked into it (because only a "he" could be tricked into raising a kid that isn't his) that's an entirely unconscionable act. The discovery of that should forfeit all the offender's marital rights.

I get the desire for a paternity test, and I totally get feeling betrayed if you were lied to. But can you really tell me with a straight face that if you spent 18 years caring for, teaching, and raising your child only to find out they were not genetically yours, you'd magically stop loving them? I don't think so. If genetic contribution made someone an actual father (as opposed to some guy who happened to successfully bang a girl), there'd be no need for child support - every man would automatically love and support his children. But it doesn't. Simply having your DNA as part of their make up doesn't make you a parent.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think alimony should still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If it wasn't completely sick, it would be kind of humorous that you are logically trying to justify rape as a sort of solution for alimony.
    i'm not justifying rape. I'm comparing what happens to a man in divorce to rape.